EXEDY CLUTCH Torque ratings not great.

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
I've been sitting on these part numbers for over a month now waiting to see what the ratings are before posting and it's not looking good people. If you are modded beyond a tune, even their stage 2 won't hold up. Here is what they sent me.

The HF03 is a single-mass flywheel that weighs 19.4lbs.

The Stage 1 clutch is rated for 235ft/lbs of torque at the wheels, and uses a full-faced organic disc.

The Stage 2 clutch is rated for 255ft/lbs of torque at the wheels, and uses a 3-puck cerametallic disc.

TSP Stage 1 dyno graph shows 281 ft/lbs torque.
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been sitting on these part numbers for over a month now waiting to see what the ratings are before posting and it's not looking good people. If you are modded beyond a tune, even their stage 2 won't hold up. Here is what they sent me.

The Stage 1 clutch is rated for 235ft/lbs of torque at the wheels, and uses a full-faced organic disc.

The Stage 2 clutch is rated for 255ft/lbs of torque at the wheels, and uses a 3-puck cerametallic disc.

Well... it sounds like they won't be selling many clutches...

OP
OP
VooDuuChild

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well... it sounds like they won't be selling many clutches...
That's what I told them. I said unless they're working on stage 3 and 4, their clutches won't even handle a canned tune on a stock vehicle. I am so bummed. I've been talking back and forth with them forever, they gave me the part numbers a good month or two ago and I've just been waiting and waiting and finally found the clutches, talked to Exedy and they gave me the torque ratings. Very weak. Maybe they're conservative, but I'm not risking $1100 to find out. I already slipped the clutch on a stock rig with TSP Stage 1.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's what I told them. I said unless they're working on stage 3 and 4, their clutches won't even handle a canned tune on a stock vehicle. I am so bummed. I've been talking back and forth with them forever, they gave me the part numbers a good month or two ago and I've just been waiting and waiting and finally found the clutches, talked to Exedy and they gave me the torque ratings. Very weak. Maybe they're conservative, but I'm not risking $1100 to find out. I already slipped the clutch on a stock rig with TSP Stage 1.
Yeah.. honestly I'm kind of shocked. Hondata and Ktuner have had their +9/23# basemaps a long time and should be pretty well known. It's not like Exedy couldn't have gotten this info. It'd be a huge blow to their aftermarket division to have such a poor offering. I can't see much of any if these getting bought with those ratings.

Snidely

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 civic si
Country flag
I really hope they are being conservative. I would love an exedy stage 2 clutch, it'd give me a reason to stop waiting on a tune.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Probably targeting customers with bolt on parts untuned, exedy still makes great clutches I am sure they will be very driveable. Sad that they aren't targeting a clutch set up for people doing more serious mods.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

You do know those #’s technically aren’t correct since they based it off stock clutch. Where they were given wrong info on wtq for it since we all know the Si clutch holds around 250wtq

OP
OP
VooDuuChild

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You do know those #’s technically aren’t correct since they based it off stock clutch. Where they were given wrong info on wtq for it since we all know the Si clutch holds around 250wtq
Those are the numbers Bill Garrett from Exedy gave me. I'm not sure I understand your theory on how Exedy is wrong with their ratings.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Those are the numbers Bill Garrett from Exedy gave me. I'm not sure I understand your theory on how Exedy is wrong with their ratings.
Honda Civic 10th gen EXEDY CLUTCH Torque ratings not great. C2F21636-2759-410A-A139-77C994673CBE
Honda Civic 10th gen EXEDY CLUTCH Torque ratings not great. C3EA2C33-7FC3-41AA-B69B-A04132CE4EBA
Honda Civic 10th gen EXEDY CLUTCH Torque ratings not great. EE6212BF-DB36-41B5-BD39-3AE88D56EA7E

Bottom line is they based it off stock clutch #’s which we all know including myself that it holds around 250wtq stock. 40% more over stock should be plenty

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's embarrassing
It's not true lol. They based it off what honda gave them. Which in fact the stock clutch holds around 250wtq. Stage 1 is 30% over stock and Stage 2 is 40-45% over stock wtq.

OP
OP
VooDuuChild

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's not true lol. They based it off what honda gave them. Which in fact the stock clutch holds around 250wtq. Stage 1 is 30% over stock and Stage 2 is 40-45% over stock wtq.
Which he also said is all a guess and they won't know until people have them in their cars. For a product that took so much time to get to market, you'd think they would have the R&D and testing done already. Considering the numbers he gave you and the numbers he gave me were different, it just seems like he's tossing numbers in the wind. I'll probably still end up getting the stage 2, but I've not been real impressed with the info coming out.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Which he also said is all a guess and they won't know until people have them in their cars. For a product that took so much time to get to market, you'd think they would have the R&D and testing done already. Considering the numbers he gave you and the numbers he gave me were different, it just seems like he's tossing numbers in the wind. I'll probably still end up getting the stage 2, but I've not been real impressed with the info coming out.
Well your going to have to wait a while lol. I have their stage two and smf kit. Not installed for reasons that will soon be explained.

OP
OP
VooDuuChild

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well your going to have to wait a while lol. I have their stage two and smf kit. Not installed for reasons that will soon be explained.
I will just have to go on faith and hope the numbers are conservative. I will get the stage 2 and flywheel. I will only be running PRL Cobra with race MAF, Invidia R400 and custom dyno tune. I need to keep it mellow so when I give the car to my woman in 2 years after it is paid off and she stacks miles commuting it will be reliable.... and then I get my new C8 mid engine Vette to commute in haha. Between that and my traffic assassin CRX, that will serve to scratch my urge to go really fast.
Sponsored