Tury14

First Name
Arturo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I recently installed a catless downpipe and about 15 minutes after I noticed a lot of white smoke coming out from the exhaust when the car is idling. The smoke doesn’t smell like coolant, it smells like oil. Wondering if anyone has had this issue ?
Sponsored

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I recently installed a catless downpipe and about 15 minutes after I noticed a lot of white smoke coming out from the exhaust when the car is idling. The smoke doesn’t smell like coolant, it smells like oil. Wondering if anyone has had this issue ?
Probably nothing serious. Burning oil would give a bluish-grey type of smoke.

Just monitor your oil and coolant levels for now if it doesnt go away.

OP
OP

Tury14

First Name
Arturo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Probably nothing serious. Burning oil would give a bluish-grey type of smoke.

Just monitor your oil and coolant levels for now if it doesnt go away.
I’ve been keeping an eye on them and they haven’t moved but the car is smoking like a train lol

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Post this in the exhaust section and maybe someone in there can figure it out.

Boostez

Samurai
First Name
Marlin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R; 03' Mitsubishi EVO; 2018 Polaris Slingshot SL-R
Country flag
White smoke is coming from the engine. There is nothing else it can be. I'd do a compression check to make sure things are healthy engine-wise.

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
If your car is smoking like a train after two days, something is wrong. If you put the stock pipe back on there, does the smoking stop?

@that_1redcivic

First Name
Milly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (CVT)
Country flag
That makes no sense lol... Has head gasket written all over it... What does your oil look like ?
Yeah buddy hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that sounds REALLY bad. Most likely a blown head gasket.

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
That makes no sense lol... Has head gasket written all over it... What does your oil look like ?
This sounds like the real issue. White smoke is usually coolant burning while blue is usually oil. The OP says no oil level change which lines up with coolant leaking into the combustion chamber. The down pipe may just be an unrelated part of the root cause.

OP, does your oil look like a McDonalds milk shake? That's a sure way to know if you have coolant leaking inside your motor from a blown head gasket.

OP
OP

Tury14

First Name
Arturo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
If your car is smoking like a train after two days, something is wrong. If you put the stock pipe back on there, does the smoking stop?
Yeah, put it back on and it stopped smoking, cat must be burning it off before it exits

OP
OP

Tury14

First Name
Arturo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
This sounds like the real issue. White smoke is usually coolant burning while blue is usually oil. The OP says no oil level change which lines up with coolant leaking into the combustion chamber. The down pipe may just be an unrelated part of the root cause.

OP, does your oil look like a McDonalds milk shake? That's a sure way to know if you have coolant leaking inside your motor from a blown head gasket.
Haha no it doesn’t look like a McDonald’s milkshake. I thought coolant at first but didn’t see a change in coolant level and the oil looked fine.