Excessive Rear Pad Wear

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
I changed pads all around at 25K miles. I found that the rears wearing together with the fronts was odd, I have never seen rear pads wear so quickly. Well, now 10k later at 35k miles, the rear pads are down to 3mm end now I’m concerned. No track days on this CTR.

How’s everyone’s brake wear on the rear?

I’m opening a case with Honda if the dealership refuses to figure out the issue. This seems like an odd level of wear to me.

Round 2 with the dealer on Monday. We just discovered that there might be an issue today.
Sponsored

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The Type R has a feature called agile handling assist which activates the rear brakes to help you corner at high speed. I went through two sets of rear pads and one set of front pads in 25k miles with nothing but sporty street driving.

OP
OP

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
The Type R has a feature called agile handling assist which activates the rear brakes to help you corner at high speed. I went through two sets of rear pads and one set of front pads in 25k miles with nothing but sporty street driving.
I don’t think the rear brakes are involved in this. Certainly shouldnt contribute to rear pad excessive wear.

From the manual:
“Lightly brakes the front wheels, as needed, when you turn the steering wheel, and helps support the vehicle’s stability and performance during cornering.”

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Oh, right. It’s the front wheels. My B.

The rear pads are smaller though so less material to go through.

Pitt-Civ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer, 2020 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
In older cars, if you start burning thru rear brakes, it's a sign that there is something wrong with the front part of the system. If say a passenger rear went faster than the drivers, check the drivers front for issues. Now that was cars in the 90s or so, the systems now seem to work better, and more evenly than before. I've never seen rear go faster, or even close to, how quickly fronts go, but if Honda doesn't say it's a normal thing for their system I'd be curious if the system needs rebled.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
My rear pads are also much lower than my fronts. Fronts still look good, but the rears only have about 40% left. I assumed it was due to Honda's variant of torque vectoring braking the inside rear wheel, but I can't find any writeup that confirms that.

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7, 2016 Panamera, 2000 AP1 S2000
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Air in front brakes lead to more rear wear. Front brakes heat up more. Bleed system completely if you have not. I believe the R has individual lines and the air may be able to get trapped in certain lines. Just a guess more than anything, but Ive had a similar issue and this helped.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I'm pretty sure @kefi 's first statement was correct. It's one reason to turn VSA fully off if you track. The car will activate the rear brakes during spirited turns.

But, that said, unless you have changed how you drive since your first pad replacement, then you should get consistent wear.

OP
OP

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
I'm pretty sure @kefi 's first statement was correct. It's one reason to turn VSA fully off if you track. The car will activate the rear brakes during spirited turns.

But, that said, unless you have changed how you drive since your first pad replacement, then you should get consistent wear.
We confirmed that that statement was not correct. The users manual says as much.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
We confirmed that that statement was not correct. The users manual says as much.
You're quote was pretty short to know the context. Care to point me to the page number? Thanks!

OP
OP

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
You're quote was pretty short to know the context. Care to point me to the page number? Thanks!
Regarding how Agile Handling Assist works. In the manual, it says that it applies brake pressure to the front wheels only.

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can tell you that after 2 days at an HPDRE event, my rear pads were worn significantly and the rotors were glazed. The fronts were almost unaffected. I wrote it off to the fact I forgot to turn off VSA. Regardless of what the manual says, I’m almost certain the rear brakes are involved.

OP
OP

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
I can tell you that after 2 days at an HPDRE event, my rear pads were worn significantly and the rotors were glazed. The fronts were almost unaffected. I wrote it off to the fact I forgot to turn off VSA. Regardless of what the manual says, I’m almost certain the rear brakes are involved.
Interesting. That seems to be my situation, but, without tracking the car.