First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was pleasantly surprised to get a Civic LX as a rental car yesterday. As a former 9th gen owner I’ve been curious about the 2.0 engine, and this was a great opportunity to check it out.

I drove in a mix of city and freeway driving, some of which was in crappy weather here in the NE. Here’s what I noticed:

The LX is a very solid car, but there is a noticeable difference in handling between it and the EX-T. The LX back end just feels lighter and a bit more vague. I gather from the forum here that’s a function of the thinner rear-sway bar. Don’t get me wrong, the LX is a great handling car, it’s just that the EX-T is a bit better.

The power was ample, and I do love the VTEC whine, but it doesn’t have that thrill that comes with the turbo kick. I especially noticed it really ran out of steam at the top end. No problem getting up to 60, but when passing it doesn’t have the gumption the 1.5 has.

I missed the heated seats and remote start, but not enough to be a deal breaker by any stretch.

I discovered I’ve adapted to the EX infotainment system, I kept reaching for the volume slider. I had trouble pairing the Bluetooth, for which I blame iOS11 not the car; so in the end I just used it like an iPod with the cable. On the whole, do prefer the EX infotainment system, glitches and all.

The stock wheels really are ugly.

On the whole, I think the LX is really underrated. It would make a fantastic bargan platform for anyone who wants to modify a car and deserves more after-market engine mods.

But, given the choice I’ll stick with the EX-T.

Honda Civic 10th gen EX-T owner drives an LX 6109C319-D947-4DBF-ABC9-6B8A015DCC80
Sponsored

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
The base Civic would probably run forever.:drive:

OP
OP
Browncoat3000

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I thought Honda didn't do fleet sales? :what:
Well there were a couple of other LX’s in the lot, and this one had Illinois plates in Massachusetts. It also had nearly 33k miles on the clock.

I had an 8th gen Civic as a rental years ago, so perhaps that was more of a guideline than a rule?

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX in Modern Steel
Country flag
I especially noticed it really ran out of steam at the top end. No problem getting up to 60, but when passing it doesn’t have the gumption the 1.5 has.

On the whole, I think the LX is really underrated. It would make a fantastic bargan platform for anyone who wants to modify a car and deserves more after-market engine mods.

But, given the choice I’ll stick with the EX-T.

6109C319-D947-4DBF-ABC9-6B8A015DCC80.jpeg
Thanks for your opinions, appreciate the thoughts of one going from the 1.5T to the 2.0L! I run a 2.0L but recently tried a 1.5T myself

Just an FYI I'm sure you're aware, but the loss in the top end is actually built-in, probably to encourage people to go for the 1.5T! You can fix that though with K-Tuner and the link actually shows graphs showing the difference. Tuning the car adds 22hp to the power band peak-to-peak and lowers VTEC engagement to 5600rpm. http://ktuner.com/16civic/ The difference is REALLY REALLY pronounced. Fortunately too, we've been gifted an aftermarket intake which suggests gains of 7HP https://www.aemintakes.com/search/product.aspx?prod=21-792C and a downpipe that adds more, but is often illegal due to lack of a cat converter

But I agree, more is better and honestly deserved. There's a lot of punch in this engine!

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is all encouraging to read/hear. I will be one of the first in line for one of the 2019 Sports. I still haven't decided coupe or sedan. Depends if the wife lets me get a coupe. Yes, I know....

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Depends if the wife lets me get a coupe. Yes, I know....
No need to explain... I’m an old married guy myself and have been on the “Happy wife, happy life” train for a long time.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I thought Honda didn't do fleet sales? :what:
Honda may not have a special rate for fleet sales but that doesn't mean a rental car company can't just buy them from dealers who probably have enough inventory of LX Civics to sell them at a reasonable price.

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
This is all encouraging to read/hear. I will be one of the first in line for one of the 2019 Sports. I still haven't decided coupe or sedan. Depends if the wife lets me get a coupe. Yes, I know....
we just bought a 2018 coupe,the wife thought she wanted a 4 door but ,oddly enough,when she tried the coupe that was what she wanted.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I totally agree. The 2.0 is underrated and a ktuner takes care of that top end loss. Another thing is if it was a manual transmission helps a lot to. It is a very linear response when tuned all the way to redline. But that’s the difference of an N/A engine and a turbo engine. But the turbo is also a great motor. But I think a lot of people tend to bash the 2.0 because it’s not a turbo, but really it doesn’t need one. It is a fun car for the price especially.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I had an LX loaner recently and while it's no Si, it wasn't bad. The biggest issue I had was that horrible steering wheel. It brought down the feel of the car so much more than I thought it would.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had an LX loaner recently and while it's no Si, it wasn't bad. The biggest issue I had was that horrible steering wheel. It brought down the feel of the car so much more than I thought it would.
That’s why I leather wrapped mine. I didn’t like that plastic feel neither. Here is the before and after pics.
Honda Civic 10th gen EX-T owner drives an LX ADA2ED28-9580-459E-922B-330CB3D5F6D5
Honda Civic 10th gen EX-T owner drives an LX CE06952E-909A-4CA4-8FEF-B0DFC44FB730

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
That’s why I leather wrapped mine. I didn’t like that plastic feel neither. Here is the before and after pics.
ADA2ED28-9580-459E-922B-330CB3D5F6D5.jpeg
CE06952E-909A-4CA4-8FEF-B0DFC44FB730.jpeg
Yeah that's much better. The original wheel feels so damn cheap lol

Last edited:

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah that's much better. The original wheel feels so damn cheap lol
When you drove the loaner, was it a 6mt or auto?
Sponsored