LVGMman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma TRD-OR 4x4, 2009 Pontiac g8 gt boosted, 2006 scion xb
Country flag
Shortest version: Do any of you EX hatchback owners regret your purchase and if so why?

Long story version: we are still a year or 2 from purchasing a 2019+ EX hatch or at least that is the plan. For us the 2019+ EX trim is/was the ideal trim since it has the android auto radio, keyless, CVT, cloth interior, and a sunroof which is exactly what we want. I came here to look at common issues/complaints and see the 2018 and older radio volume knob complaint, paint/dent issues, cvt complaints, and worst of all the a/c issues. We live in Las Vegas so that's almost a non-starter. I'll plan to get an extended warranty on that alone. Pulling a dash is just about the worst thing you could ever have to do in the driveway.

Is the CVT as bad as people make it out to be? I drove a 2018 and I thought it drove really well for a CVT but my only point of reference was a 2007ish dodge calibur which most people will say is one of the worst ever. We both know how to drive manual and I daily a 2006 5 speed xb. But if we changed to a manual sport trim it appears we wont get the rest of the options we want, is that the case?

My fiance had a 2013 Kona coffee brown LX civic sedan that she was miles underwater on so we traded it in for a 2017 Tacoma TRD offroad 4x4 (in March of 2017) which has the most erratic 6 speed autos you can buy so a CVT actually sounds beautiful to both of us when compared to that.

I also already have a quick street car so we never plan to go beyond maybe a tune and intake on the hatch which I would hope the CVT could handle but if not I guess I could leave it alone even though boost begs for tinkering. My buddy ended up buying a 2018 sonic grey sport touring on my suggestion at the end of 2018 and he doesnt have any complaints outside of the volume knob. I rode in his car and the cvt drives well when you are a bit meaner to it. it seems the majority of the complaints are when people are driving it eco minded. Just wondering of you EX hatch owners do you regret your purchase and if you do why?
Sponsored

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Q: Any regrets getting EX hatch?
A: nope.

Q: Is the CVT bad as people make it out to be?
A: Not really. As far as CVTs go, it’s one of the better ones. I was skeptical when I got a ‘16 EXT sedan with CVT but it worked great and had no reservations when I picked up my ‘19 EX hatch.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
get the sport trim...you will not regret all the better goodies ;)

f3.jpeg
Nice car/trim. Except in the U.S. the Sport trim doesn't have sunroof or car play/android auto amongst other features as options.

OP
OP
LVGMman

LVGMman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
ahhhhhhh.......so we canadians are lucky then...lol
Yeah we would have to go to sport touring to get the options we want than CVT becomes standard. The trim levels are odd here especially if you want a manual trans.

aymehr

Ari
First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
My only regret is not getting the EX-L. The extra $1500 would get me more features including leather and center channel speaker. I don't care much for Honda sensing.

As @silverrascal mentioned above the CVT is one of the best ones out there. I drove other CVT cars before purchasing mine and this is the first CVT that I don't dislike.

OP
OP
LVGMman

LVGMman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My only regret is not getting the EX-L. The extra $1500 would get me more features including leather and center channel speaker. I don't care much for Honda sensing.

As @silverrascal mentioned above the CVT is one of the best ones out there. I drove other CVT cars before purchasing mine and this is the first CVT that I don't dislike.
That was my impression of the CVT too but a test drive isn't necessarily a good indicator of overall driving dynamics. I'm glad to see of the people with previous CVT experiences seem to agree with it being a pretty good CVT overall. It seems that tried to give it a positive shift feeling when changing "gears" which was my biggest surprise I expected noise with mild acceleration and what I experienced was really good acceleration with a shift feel.

We absolutely do NOT want leather. This car will live in the driveway and 115 degree in the shade ambient air temps mean ~180-200 degree black leather. Also Navi radios tend to drive me nuts they will never be superior to Google maps/wayze so it's odd they still try to use them as a selling point. OE premium audio also usually just means more difficult and expensive to upgrade.

Last edited:

aymehr

Ari
First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
That was my impression of the CVT too but a test drive isn't necessarily a good indicator of overall driving dynamics. I'm glad to see of the people with previous CVT experiences seem to agree with it being a pretty good CVT overall. It seems that tried to give it a positive shift feeling when changing "gears" which was my biggest surprise I expected noise with mild acceleration and what I experienced was really good acceleration with a shift feel.

We absolutely do NOT want leather. This car will live in the driveway and 115 degree in the shade ambient air temps mean ~180-200 degree black leather. Also Navi radios tend to drive me nuts they will never be superior to Google maps/wayze so it's odd they still try to use them as a selling point. OE premium audio also usually just means more difficult and expensive to upgrade.
in that case EX might be a great option for you. I also agree regarding the factory nav. I prefer Car Play Google Map so much that I don't even use our Mercedes's factory navigation in our other car. Car Play for me was the main reason I didn't go with Sport Hatch despite having more horsepower than the EX.

OP
OP
LVGMman

LVGMman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The only difference is the catback exhaust from what I understand. A tune will make that power back and much more as long as you run premium. I like the sport exhaust but the ex trim. I assume that's an easy swap though.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The only difference is the catback exhaust from what I understand. A tune will make that power back and much more as long as you run premium. I like the sport exhaust but the ex trim. I assume that's an easy swap though.
Unfortunately, there's not a direct exhaust swap for the EX and the Sport models. The rear undercarriage is physically different where the Sport models accomodates the center exhaust and the EX cannot without some creative tinkering to get a center exhaust to work. There are less options for aftermarket exhausts for the EX trim, too. But that said, it wasn't a deal killer for me. We're talking a whopping SIX horsepower and no change in torque (with CVT). Granted the manual gets you 15 lb-ft. extra torque but, again, not exactly game changing.

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i had the manual in Lx 2017 before my sport....it was peppier and i was putting premium in to get that 6hp more...i regret selling my M/T.....but my wife wanted a Crv
Honda Civic 10th gen EX hatchback owners, any regrets? 3ywwaIUrhIdQjmn1HagzNooL5_dIlJcciyZMUWHXeE0

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch EX Lunar Silver
Country flag
I have no regrets. When I initially was test driving I was very certain I was going to get MT, but after driving a CVT, I preferred it. I'm still getting used to the CVT though.
As stated above, I'd compare the EX to the EX-L again before buying. The cloth interior of the EX is a magnet for dead skin...but it's not the end of the world.

mattfofatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Hatch- Sonic Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can't really speak as a long time owner as I bought mine about a week ago, but I really like mine. I cam from a '13 civic ex-l and loved my leather, but am actually glad I don't have them now since it has been really hot here lately. I was essentially looking for the exact same features you were, ie remote start, sunroof, heated seats and I have not been disappointed so far.
Sponsored