Event Data Recorder (EDR)

teebee288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2017 hatchback sport, Mazda CX-3 2017, polaris rzr 1000s 2017
Country flag
They can deny for lots of things but they cant make it up, your intake wont void your warranty on your paint etc. but if I can be proven its related....i use Ktuner at my own risk. Ill always flash stock to go in for oil changes etc, no reason they need to know but if i throw a rod or blow an engine you know damn well Honda is going to bring in the big dogs to see what happened if I try to warranty it
X2
Sponsored

jdmorangefever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 eg, 17 type r, 16 crv
Country flag
Ya we had an audi q5 come to our dealer with a cylinder misfiring.. needed an engine cause of a common piston coming apart problem. he was tuned. We tried our best to help him out. But in order to call and get auth on an engine , first step is to ran spec/actual test. The customer said the tuner said it wont show dont worry. So he took the chance. We ran it and it was there. He had to buy a used engine. Poor guy. Even if the tune was deleted and stock ecm installed. once its been logged its stuck with the vehicle data.. ive replaced ecm for customer before and data screen shows ok.. but warranty data that we cant access still shows it. Claims get kicked back. Also audi has huge piston ring problems and class action lawsuit etc..?but tuned.. not covered.

So just saying if your under warranty.. even though the tune didnt destroy engine.. later down the road if there is a common engine issue not related to any tune your still screwed. So that choice is up to you.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

teebee288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You need to clarify that your claim was not denied because you flashed the ECU but rather because you over revved the car on a misshift which will get your warranty claimed denied every time.
OK i explain
Engine blown because the over rev, BUT when they looked at the freeze data report, yes they saw the over rev but they also saw weird thing ,"they said at the dealer.at this time honda dont denied warranty because they saw 9700rpm, when you got a good honda profile,like me, ( it's my 8th hondas, i've owned 3 accord and 5 civic) sometime warranty is approve even with an over rev, or they paid the parts and you paid times. After that they send two engineer to look at my ecu, and when they saw number of reflash and peak turbo boost they contacted me and said that with the data they found, peak turbo boost plus over rev plus number of reflash plus they called "snapchat" was erase during all the reflash. When you did an over rev the ecu start a snapchat mode, it registered 10 sec before and 10 sec after the event but a reflash erase this snapchat so if they see an over rev without snapchat you are red flagged. So the over rev kills me! Yes and no i think it's a mix of over rev and ecu playing that kill me. But more the over rev.....

teebee288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
what was the mirror anti theft mode problem and solution? for future reference for others that does a swap
I forget to mentioned that there is a little difference in the coolant hoses between l15ba and l15b7, if you do a swap you need to bypass with a u hose. It's not huge concern but....
Honda Civic 10th gen Event Data Recorder (EDR) IMG_0563.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen Event Data Recorder (EDR) IMG_0564.JPG

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
I forget to mentioned that there is a little difference in the coolant hoses between l15ba and l15b7, if you do a swap you need to bypass with a u hose. It's not huge concern but....
thats for the cvt warmer

you could swap the housing from your MT motor or loop it and it be easier if you dont care about cleaniness

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
thats for the cvt warmer

you could swap the housing from your MT motor or loop it and it be easier if you dont care about cleaniness
Interested to see what PRL comes up with in their research regarding the warmer, since right now their cooler is a replacement for the warmer.

atikovi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight
Country flag
The other is called an SDR (Service Diagnostic Recorder). It's built in to the ECU and is the one that can "get ya". :)

"Service Diagnostic Recorders
This vehicle is equipped with service-related devices that record information about powertrain performance. The data can be used to verify emissions law requirements and/or help technicians diagnose and solve service problems. It may also be combined with data from other sources for research purposes, but it remains confidential. Some diagnostic and maintenance information is uploaded to Honda upon vehicle start up." - 2017 Civic Owner's Manual
How to read what is stored on it? Can any shop with an HDS access it? Or only a Honda dealer? I'd like to know before taking a car in for major warranty work.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
How to read what is stored on it? Can any shop with an HDS access it? Or only a Honda dealer? I'd like to know before taking a car in for major warranty work.
Any shop that can do warranty work is going to be able to read it. If you have voided your warranty, they will know and will not repair under warranty.

atikovi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight
Country flag
Any shop that can do warranty work is going to be able to read it. If you have voided your warranty, they will know and will not repair under warranty.
What do you mean "Any shop that can do warranty work "? Only a Honda dealer can do warranty work. I just got the car so I haven't voided the warranty but want to check what the previous owner may have done.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I thought you were curious if you could take it in for warranty work and the shop you took it to would not be able to read it. Given that seems not to be what you are seeking, I'm not sure of the answer to your question.

atikovi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight
Country flag
If Joe's Honda Service has a HDS scan tool, can they read the event history on the car just like a Honda dealer can? If so, I would take it there first and see if there is any data that would void the warranty before I waste my time taking it in for a warranty repair at a Honda dealer which will decline coverage but charge me $250 to check out.
Sponsored