Event Data Recorder (EDR)

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
As soon as you open the owner's guide, you can see the info. about it. Basically it says the EDR will record crash or near like situations and share it if necessary with law enforcement

Which made think: when gettin' tuned! Are we getting flagged at the dealer?

Thoughts??
Sponsored

Last edited:

jdmorangefever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 eg, 17 type r, 16 crv
Country flag
Ya i wondered if honda does that? Audi does.. we do online module spec check and if tuned it will immediately upload it to vehicle data page.. even some tuners say it wont be detected.. still does

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
There are actually two "black boxes".

One of them is called the EDR (Event Data Recorder) mentioned above which records 30-seconds or less of a limited number of items during certain crash or near-crash situations.

The other is called an SDR (Service Diagnostic Recorder). It's built in to the ECU and is the one that can "get ya". :)

"Service Diagnostic Recorders
This vehicle is equipped with service-related devices that record information about powertrain performance. The data can be used to verify emissions law requirements and/or help technicians diagnose and solve service problems. It may also be combined with data from other sources for research purposes, but it remains confidential. Some diagnostic and maintenance information is uploaded to Honda upon vehicle start up." - 2017 Civic Owner's Manual

teebee288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2017 hatchback sport, Mazda CX-3 2017, polaris rzr 1000s 2017
Country flag
Which made think: when gettin' tuned! Are we getting flagged at the dealer?

yes my friend, if you flash your ecu, now on this platform your done. Beleive me i just swap an l15b7 in a sport model that come's with an l15ba because they saw everything in the ecu even if you flash back to stock.
Now freeze data registered, peak turbo boost, peak rpm and speed and they even saw my ecu was flashed 7 time, and dont forget if you did a reflash, you erase all the loggs in the ecu, so if you go to dealer and they see no loggs, you will past an interview with the dealer manager, lol. But for me they send two ingeneer from toronto to look at the data. Dealer have wireless obd tool that connect with honda canada and they send data via Internet. Mine is blown cause of an over rev, not a tune, but they denied warranty because they saw i played in the ecu. like i said in a other topic, i was a hard defender of the fact that dealer can't see nothing if you flash back to stock but now things have change.

Good info to have: you can swap an l15ba to an l15b7, ecu recognize eveything, only minor anti theft mode problem, now solve. Engine cost 1500$ i did the swap with my friend, so 500$ of liquides and gasket, total 2000$.
Honda want to bill me 10 000$ for the engine without labor!

Honda Civic 10th gen Event Data Recorder (EDR) IMG_0556.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen Event Data Recorder (EDR) IMG_0557.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen Event Data Recorder (EDR) IMG_0558.JPG

Dr_Drache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 CRX - 2017 FK8 TypeR
Country flag
yes my friend, if you flash your ecu, now on this platform your done. Beleive me i just swap an l15b7 in a sport model that come's with an l15ba because they saw everything in the ecu even if you flash back to stock.
Now freeze data registered, peak turbo boost, peak rpm and speed and they even saw my ecu was flashed 7 time, and dont forget if you did a reflash, you erase all the loggs in the ecu, so if you go to dealer and they see no loggs, you will past an interview with the dealer manager, lol. But for me they send two ingeneer from toronto to look at the data. Dealer have wireless obd tool that connect with honda canada and they send data via Internet. Mine is blown cause of an over rev, not a tune, but they denied warranty because they saw i played in the ecu. like i said in a other topic, i was a hard defender of the fact that dealer can't see nothing if you flash back to stock but now things have change.

Good info to have: you can swap an l15ba to an l15b7, ecu recognize eveything, only minor anti theft mode problem, now solve. Engine cost 1500$ i did the swap with my friend, so 500$ of liquides and gasket, total 2000$.
I'd have to get this corroborated, both Hondata and Ktuner, as well as various honda Tuners (I think VitTuned said something on this)claim otherwise. they can see it's been reset but that's it, the rest is gleaned from social engineering (AKA you admitted to it, or something that would have to have a flashed ECU to do) and overrev? should look at your tuning :p

Last edited:

IamMrRoy

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 HRV, 18 Wrangler JK, 17 Wrangler JKU, 07 Pilot, 06 Chevy Express, 02 Chry PTC, 01 GMC Yukon XL Denali
Country flag
Sounds good, bro.

teebee288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd have to get this corroborated, both Hondata and Ktuner, as well as various honda Tuners (I think VitTuned said something on this)claim otherwise. they can see it's been reset but that's it, the rest is gleaned from social engineering (AKA you admitted to it, or something that would have to have a flashed ECU to do) and overrev? should look at your tuning :p

Over rev cause by a miss shift not relate to a tune, you can't over rev with hondata, and i got a tons of pm with doug from hondata, so ask him and he will tell the same thing as me. Me and doug collaborate on unlocking some ecu for flashpro. So a i got A LOT of info coming from him.
An ex coworker who now working at honda dealer tell me that hfp will collaborate with hondata to release a +3 tune that will be covered on warranty, but time will tell if it's true.
Cheer

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would love to see if this is true. The over rev is what killed you with, Seen so many over rev stories end with Honda denying the warranty claim. It had nothing to do with being tuned.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

IMG_0556.JPG
IMG_0557.JPG
IMG_0558.JPG
You need to clarify that your claim was not denied because you flashed the ECU but rather because you over revved the car on a misshift which will get your warranty claimed denied every time.

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
You need to clarify that your claim was not denied because you flashed the ECU but rather because you over revved the car on a misshift which will get your warranty claimed denied every time.
Will they deny claims for not abiding by the break-in period as well? Does this log (I'm not doing this, but) stuff like if you are redlining it any chance you get (no overrevving)?

I am also interested in seeing if this denial due to flashes is true. I thought that was half of Hondata's selling point was that dealers didn't detect it if you flashed to stock?

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag

what was the mirror anti theft mode problem and solution? for future reference for others that does a swap

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Will they deny claims for not abiding by the break-in period as well? Does this log (I'm not doing this, but) stuff like if you are redlining it any chance you get (no overrevving)?

I am also interested in seeing if this denial due to flashes is true. I thought that was half of Hondata's selling point was that dealers didn't detect it if you flashed to stock?
They can deny for lots of things but they cant make it up, your intake wont void your warranty on your paint etc. but if I can be proven its related....i use Ktuner at my own risk. Ill always flash stock to go in for oil changes etc, no reason they need to know but if i throw a rod or blow an engine you know damn well Honda is going to bring in the big dogs to see what happened if I try to warranty it

teebee288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
what was the mirror anti theft mode problem and solution? for future reference for others that does a swap
In the car with the key, Hold lock button on the key remote for 5 sec, than after the bip, get out of the car with the key and take the key far away of the car (like 30feet) for 10 min, and then unlock the car and anti theft mode is now shutt off.
Sponsored