European 1.5L Turbo Gets VTEC and Produces 201 bhp (vs 174bhp American) in 2016 Civic

jmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2016 RAM QC 4x4, 2016 Dart Rallye
Country flag
Given the 0-60 times and dyno pulls done for the 1.5T already.
I think the Euro spec 201 HP is really what the U.S. version is too and the 174HP claim is at the wheels.
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Given the 0-60 times and dyno pulls done for the 1.5T already.
I think the Euro spec 201 HP is really what the U.S. version is too and the 174HP claim is at the wheels.
No, the CVT is simply efficient at making power on demand. Initial readings put the US 1.5T @ 135-140 HP at the wheels on a mustang dyno. That's on par with typical readouts in that power range.

Dynapacks read higher due to the absence of rotational mass. Power is measured at the hubs - not the wheels.

Last edited:

jmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We will have to see how the 0-60 times and dyno runs compare once the 2017 European Civic 1.5T is out.

jmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I found a interesting read about the 2017 European Civic 1.5T engine seems like it's the same as the U.S. version.

http://paultan.org/2015/10/27/2017-...urbo-and-201-hp-1-5-litre-turbo-full-details/

The article states...
"Moving on to the larger 1.5 litre mill, where it is identical to the engine offered on the US market Civic. In terms of technologies, the liquid-cooled 1.5 litre in-line four-cylinder turbo engine shares a lot in common with the above-mentioned 1.0 litre unit. However, there are a few notable differences starting with a higher compression ratio of 10.6:1. A larger area of concern is the absence of VTEC on either the intake or exhaust side of the engine, the same as that found on the US market Civic. A more obvious difference is the higher power output, in this case, 201 hp and 260 Nm of torque. Fuel economy for the 1.5 litre engine sees a 15% improvement over the 1.8 litre unit, following the NEDC mode of testing."

johnnywatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Aegean Blue
If it makes any difference, Injen did post that their CAI increases power by something like 24 WHP, which would bring the US Civic on par with the Euro one.

It's probably a tuning thing to bring the US Civic in line with EPA emissions. Mazda did something similar with the RX-8.

Diversion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My bets are on the new Civic Si getting the 1.5T VTEC revision.. The horsepower figures line up with the 9th gen.. I could be way out in left field here.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
It's probably a tuning thing to bring the US Civic in line with EPA emissions. Mazda did something similar with the RX-8.
I think it might be the other way around. There's increased incentive to do smaller displacement motors in Europe due to their taxes. But I think you're right in that it's the same motor with a few tuning tweaks. That would end up being good news for US owners wanting to get a little more power without risking long term reliability.

I'm not ruling out a 1.5T for the Si. But the market and physics overwhelmingly point towards a conservatively tuned 2.0T.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
If it makes any difference, Injen did post that their CAI increases power by something like 24 WHP, which would bring the US Civic on par with the Euro one.

That wasn't peak hp, though. It was a 24hp jump somewhere along the curve.

Riko

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.0L Turbo, CVT, Elegance trim
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Timing belt on 1.0 no thank you. Timing chain please
https://www.autoserviceworld.com/carsmagazine/talking-tech-keeping-things-time/

Industry experts predict that fully 70% of all new vehicles in 2017 will use a timing belt.

The concept has been proven on the road. Since 2012, the Ford Fiesta in Europe has offered a 1.0-litre turbocharged in-line three cylinder engine for the EcoBoost family that uses the BIO technology. (For its part, Honda has been using BIO technology for quite some time in applications like lawnmowers and generators that have overhead cam motors.)