European 1.5L Turbo Gets VTEC and Produces 201 bhp (vs 174bhp American) in 2016 Civic

Shralper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Acura RSX Type S
Country flag
That's better then our current Si! What the heck
The SI is gonna have to do a lot better than 201hp/191trq in my opinion. That's not even close to competitive with the GTI, WRX, Focus ST or the future MazdaSpeed3.

Come on, Honda. After all this waiting, you better not fail us again.
Sponsored

072.4se

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Accord SE 2010 Honda CRV
260 NM would be 191 lb Ft for torque
Way better than current Si but roughly same horsepower which would be disappointing.

Luis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Dodge Neon Srt-4
Was really expecting a 2.0t for the Si. What a disappointment if we only get the 1.5t :doh:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
If the engines are the same exact specs, why is the North American 1.5L turbo being detuned.

27hp difference significant... thats a 15% power difference.
Not detuned. One has VTEC one doesn't

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
So vtec is when the valves open fully to give that extra grunt when needed? As you can see by my name first honda I still don't know everything about it. I really would like 2.0 engine turbo but we still have to wait and wait and wait a little more. Hopefully tomorrow we hear something ha

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
The two cars in a race the turbo would smoke the 2.4 4 hp Less more torque that would come on quicker.
Agreed, the turbo has a much wider power band.

Now put $5k each into both engines. The K24 will kill the 1.5T.

I look at it this way because many Si owners are willing to drop that kinda money.

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
So vtec is when the valves open fully to give that extra grunt when needed? As you can see by my name first honda I still don't know everything about it. I really would like 2.0 engine turbo but we still have to wait and wait and wait a little more. Hopefully tomorrow we hear something ha
VTEC in the performance sense usually involves a 2nd set of cam lobes that are bigger than the 1st set of cam lobes. When the cam switches over to the bigger lobes, the intake/exhaust valves open farther and for longer.

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan

I look at it this way because many Si owners are willing to drop that kinda money.
I gotta be honest though, I don't think many manufacturers build cars with the aftermarket in mind at all.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
I consider that detuned - getting an engine with features omitted.
I consider that a different engine. A tune is ECU tuning and/or bolt-ons. A different cylinder head is more than a "tune"

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
That is a different engine indeed. Tuned for the Euro sport market. Probably more cost efficient than doing a 2.0T with revised intake/exhaust on top of the aforementioned. My guess is they went this route due to fuel economy demands vs. performance. But make no mistake, that motor is nearly maxed out in its current configuration.

Honda has consistently maintained that their 2.0T is intended for its performance lineup. I think most of us would be very, very surprised to see the 1.5T used in anything above the EX/Touring.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6

True no doubt.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
That is a different engine indeed. Tuned for the Euro sport market. Probably more cost efficient than doing a 2.0T with revised intake/exhaust on top of the aforementioned. My guess is they went this route due to fuel economy demands vs. performance. But make no mistake, that motor is nearly maxed out in its current configuration.

Honda has consistently maintained that their 2.0T is intended for its performance lineup. I think most of us would be very, very surprised to see the 1.5T used in anything above the EX/Touring.
European and Asian markets have tax penalties based on engine displacement. 1.5 liters is a common displacement that many countries use as the step to a higher tax bracket. I think that's why you'll see more variations on small displacement turbo motors in other markets.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
I gotta be honest though, I don't think many manufacturers build cars with the aftermarket in mind at all.
I think your right. I feel they need to have the Si very affordable and if they could get 215 hp and 215 torque out oF 1.5 T go for it car will be light. If you want a total bad a$$ car you have the type r
Sponsored