Estimated cost to install modified CMC?

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Hi all. I've had my type R for about 4 months now, and while I've never had any second gear grinds, I just recently experienced two 3rd gear grinds in the same night. I'm hoping that it's just due to the fact that my third gear is a bit notchy and has some resistance, so maybe I let out the clutch before the shifter was completely in gear. There's definitely a lot more resistance going into second and third then there was on my 17 SI though. I'm hoping that the modified CMC could alleviate this. Does anyone know roughly how much this install would cost? Would you have it done by a local mechanic, or is this something that I should have the Honda dealer do?
Sponsored

06S2k07Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 S2000 22 RDX 13 CB1000R 22 Veloster N 18 Type R
Country flag
Hey...I don post much because I don't like to get into arguments with people...however I try my best to speak from my experiences and not what "someone said". I've been in the Honda modifying scene since the mid to late 90's. One thing I've learned about Honda and their manual transmissions is that they have become slightly cheaper from a durability factor over the years...not a huge amount but they are lesser none the less than the older linkage transmissions. What I've learned about the cable transmissions in general is that if you want them to function more reliably while you are using them harder there are 3 things you can do. 1 is to replace all of the shifter bushings on the top of the transmission with solid pieces. This eliminates much of the potential kick back from the syncros during gear engagement. 2 replace the transmission fluid with Amsoil 5W30 MTF transmission fluid. This makes all gear engagements notably smoother. And 3, make sure the piston that the clutch pedal pushes in is adjusted correctly. On occasion if the clutch pedal is not moving this piston far enough you will be more likely to get gear grinds at high rpm and very fast gear changes.

This has been my experience over the years. I did this to my 2018 R as soon as I bought it and at currently 7500 miles I have not had 1 grind. My 550+whp S2000 still has the original clutch delay valve with an aftermarket clutch and again not one issue with that either at 29,000+ miles.

Brian

Last edited: