brienp

brienp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Watch. It’ll debut but only work on 2018 or newer cars forcing you to upgrade like they do with their phones. Hahahaha

unr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L15B7
Country flag
That’s now how it works. It will be a new app in carplay you don’t need additional hardware.

It will work as soon as google provides a carplay app and Apple brings it to the beta or September release.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
And this is yet another reason that has me considering switching from Android to iPhone.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
And this is yet another reason that has me considering switching from Android to iPhone.
Waze already works through AA. What is the list of reasons you have?

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Waze already works through AA. What is the list of reasons you have?
  1. The "swipe to unlock" bug that was introduced in 8.1. Google supposedly fixed it in April security update, but didn't. Issue is now 'dead' on Google's tracker (they abandoned it in other words) even though many are still having the problem.
  2. The Google Play Music/Assistant issue has been broken for almost a year now... say "OK Google, play Three Days in Darkness by Testament" and the Assistant will reply "Sorry, that's only available to subscribers" and then tries to play some 'station' on GPM. The Assistant won't allow you to assign a different default music app - at least not the one I use - so this feature has become useless for me. Lots of discussion over multiple threads on Google's Issue Tracker; no fix from Google.
  3. The slow-to-unlock issue introduced in the June security update

Those are the ones that I can name off the top of my head. I don't use Waze; I use Google Maps and that's what I'd use if I switched to ACP over AA. Things like these are what makes it very difficult for me to continue to recommend Android to friends and family. Sure, the media gives Apple a hard time when they releases a Production bug... but Apple addresses it quickly and updates ALL their devices at the same time. They may be The Walled Garden, but there's no denying they got a lot of things right.

ToastedSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
  1. The "swipe to unlock" bug that was introduced in 8.1. Google supposedly fixed it in April security update, but didn't. Issue is now 'dead' on Google's tracker (they abandoned it in other words) even though many are still having the problem.
  2. The Google Play Music/Assistant issue has been broken for almost a year now... say "OK Google, play Three Days in Darkness by Testament" and the Assistant will reply "Sorry, that's only available to subscribers" and then tries to play some 'station' on GPM. The Assistant won't allow you to assign a different default music app - at least not the one I use - so this feature has become useless for me. Lots of discussion over multiple threads on Google's Issue Tracker; no fix from Google.
  3. The slow-to-unlock issue introduced in the June security update
Those are the ones that I can name off the top of my head. I don't use Waze; I use Google Maps and that's what I'd use if I switched to ACP over AA. Things like these are what makes it very difficult for me to continue to recommend Android to friends and family. Sure, the media gives Apple a hard time when they releases a Production bug... but Apple addresses it quickly and updates ALL their devices at the same time. They may be The Walled Garden, but there's no denying they got a lot of things right.
Are you a subscriber to GPM? It's not broken if it does what it's supposed to do. Also, assistant works perfectly fine with spotify for me

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are you a subscriber to GPM? It's not broken if it does what it's supposed to do. Also, assistant works perfectly fine with spotify for me
No, I'm not a subscriber. That's the whole issue; it almost appears that Google is trying to shove the GPM subscription service down everyone's throat by not allowing you to play the music stored locally on your device. I'm not saying that's the issue, but that's what it appears to be. And Spotify works for you because it's one of the 'linkable' subscription services the Assistant supports. I just want to be able to tell Google to play xxxx song from xxxx artist... just like I used to before a long-ago Assistant update broke it (I may be the minority here, but I buy/download/locally store my music... I don't subscribe to any music service). This also affects Google Home users; it's not just limited to mobile device users so it is indeed an Assistant issue.

I've been an Android user since the Gingerbread days... so there's a lot of ingrained loyalty. The initial attraction of Android for me... the customization and flexibility of Android over iOS... becomes less and less important when crap like this happens and goes all but ignored by Google. iOS may be more locked down than Android, but we all know what iOS has going of it..... "it just works". And as I get older, my patience wears thinner for things that should "just work", but don't. Hence my increasing desire to dip my toe in the iPhone world.

Didn't mean to detail the thread.... my point to bring it back on track is that having Google Maps/Waze support for ACP in iOS 12 is exciting news for a guys that loves Google Maps for navigation and is considering switching to an iPhone.

ToastedSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
No, I'm not a subscriber. That's the whole issue; it almost appears that Google is trying to shove the GPM subscription service down everyone's throat by not allowing you to play the music stored locally on your device. I'm not saying that's the issue, but that's what it appears to be. And Spotify works for you because it's one of the 'linkable' subscription services the Assistant supports. I just want to be able to tell Google to play xxxx song from xxxx artist... just like I used to before a long-ago Assistant update broke it (I may be the minority here, but I buy/download/locally store my music... I don't subscribe to any music service). This also affects Google Home users; it's not just limited to mobile device users so it is indeed an Assistant issue.

I've been an Android user since the Gingerbread days... so there's a lot of ingrained loyalty. The initial attraction of Android for me... the customization and flexibility of Android over iOS... becomes less and less important when crap like this happens and goes all but ignored by Google. iOS may be more locked down than Android, but we all know what iOS has going of it..... "it just works". And as I get older, my patience wears thinner for things that should "just work", but don't. Hence my increasing desire to dip my toe in the iPhone world.

Didn't mean to detail the thread.... my point to bring it back on track is that having Google Maps/Waze support for ACP in iOS 12 is exciting news for a guys that loves Google Maps for navigation and is considering switching to an iPhone.
wait, don't tell me. google maps is now available for ios now? i've been out of the apple loop since they took it out

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
wait, don't tell me. google maps is now available for ios now? i've been out of the apple loop since they took it out
Not iOS. Apple Car Play. iOS 12 will come with an update to ACP that allows 3rd-party navigation apps to be used with it... specifically Google Maps and Waze. It's a big deal for ACP fans as they are no longer forced to use Apple's Maps/Navigation.
Sponsored