db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback 2019 Ford Ranger S-crew
Country flag
I am glad to say that I can trust a few folks at our local dealer here in our part of Texas.
I will name drop - Keating Honda - and they did a credible job. I took the advice of many on here and other forums and called ahead. Gave a description and the rather sketchy nature of the fault.
The fault is not rare but kind of uncommon - the notchy feel you get at about 40 mph or greater on a warm-hot day - steering kind of gives a hesitation or resistance when trying to give minor corrections. I asked for the shop manager or service writer to do a drive with me, them driving, to see if they can duplicate the fault.

Got our Civic on the freeway feeder and barely to 45 he literally said "Holy Crap!" He indicated that he did some research on their own company forum and read about something similar but never had encountered this issue. He has now. That was Thursday. Saturday got the call that, indeed it was the EPS rack assy and that the cost would have been a bit over 4000.00 usd but since I felt that with a car that would be driven ALOT by myself and my wife, and that it had many bells and whistles that looked possibly expensive...I got the maxed out extended warranty plan with zero deductible.

So hopefully today or tomorrow I can get our little Red back home.

D
Sponsored

OP
OP

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can update with no further issues. two trips to austin and a few day trips around our house and its fine.
Now I'm just worried about what I've been reading about with the AC systems lol

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T sedan, '12 LX sedan
Country flag
I can update with no further issues. two trips to austin and a few day trips around our house and its fine.
Now I'm just worried about what I've been reading about with the AC systems lol
I have a warranty visit scheduled for Monday, June 15th, it will include a check on an issue where the car makes a "pebbles tumbling in a plastic glass " sound when I turn left, Hopefully this is addressed and is a precurser to an EPS rack problem,
My display audio display flickers when it's cold, and I have occasional hiccups with my CarPlay.

OP
OP

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
sounds almost like a CV joint or hub bearing that.
and I've just seen the issue about the low pressure fuel pumps...need to check if her Civic is on the list :|

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
What exactly is the problem for EPS rack? can you describe it clearly so we can check with our cars.

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
sounds almost like a CV joint or hub bearing that.
and I've just seen the issue about the low pressure fuel pumps...need to check if her Civic is on the list :|
Nope, I've seen and addressed each of those on previous cars, this is def from the column - and only when turning left.

I'll try to remember to post the findings on Monday

OP
OP

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What exactly is the problem for EPS rack? can you describe it clearly so we can check with our cars.
While driving at 40 mph or more, on a warm engine, smooth road (best time to FEEL it) you will have a slight resistance when making minor corrections. IF you do have that and you want to ensure the service writer feels it you do not shut down the engine...schedule an appointment so they are aware of you coming BTW.

I don't have Honda Sensing so no lane keeping or anything of that nature to deal with here so that wasn't it. They called it out as a rack and replaced it.

D

kbacon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Sienna, 2016 Honda Civic LX 6MT
Country flag
While driving at 40 mph or more, on a warm engine, smooth road (best time to FEEL it) you will have a slight resistance when making minor corrections. IF you do have that and you want to ensure the service writer feels it you do not shut down the engine...schedule an appointment so they are aware of you coming BTW.

I don't have Honda Sensing so no lane keeping or anything of that nature to deal with here so that wasn't it. They called it out as a rack and replaced it.

D
I am glad to say that I can trust a few folks at our local dealer here in our part of Texas.
I will name drop - Keating Honda - and they did a credible job. I took the advice of many on here and other forums and called ahead. Gave a description and the rather sketchy nature of the fault.
The fault is not rare but kind of uncommon - the notchy feel you get at about 40 mph or greater on a warm-hot day - steering kind of gives a hesitation or resistance when trying to give minor corrections. I asked for the shop manager or service writer to do a drive with me, them driving, to see if they can duplicate the fault.

Got our Civic on the freeway feeder and barely to 45 he literally said "Holy Crap!" He indicated that he did some research on their own company forum and read about something similar but never had encountered this issue. He has now. That was Thursday. Saturday got the call that, indeed it was the EPS rack assy and that the cost would have been a bit over 4000.00 usd but since I felt that with a car that would be driven ALOT by myself and my wife, and that it had many bells and whistles that looked possibly expensive...I got the maxed out extended warranty plan with zero deductible.

So hopefully today or tomorrow I can get our little Red back home.

D
I am having this same exact issue. It is difficult to describe but you did a good job. I have just started noticing this on my 2016 Civic LX 6M. I had been wondering what it was since I started experiencing it coming home from work on about a 15-20 mile drive in the afternoons at highway speeds. It seems to have appeared with the warmer weather in the afternoons and I haven’t noticed it as much on my morning commutes.

I, unfortunately, did not buy an extended warranty. I think it is a ridiculous that a 4-year old Honda with just over 50k miles should need a $3-4000 repair!

I have seen many people online with the same exact problem:

https://m.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Civic/2016/steering/steering.shtml

I would hope Honda would put out a recall for this as it could become dangerous if the steering becomes more erratic.

If Honda doesn’t issue a recall and make this right it could cause this longtime Honda owner to look elsewhere. This is my 6th Honda and we just bought a 2019 Odyssey last year. This lack of quality and a failure to stand behind their product could change all that.

Last edited:

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am having this same exact issue. It is difficult to describe but you did a good job. I have just starting noticing this on my 2016 Civic LX 6M. I had been wondering what it was since I started experiencing it coming home from work on about a 15-20 drive in the afternoons at highway speeds. It seems to have appeared with the warmer weather in the afternoons and I haven’t noticed it on my morning commutes.

I, unfortunately, did not buy an extended warranty. I think it is a ridiculous that a 4-year old Honda with just over 50k miles should need a $3-4000 repair!

I have seen many people online with the same exact problem:

https://m.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Civic/2016/steering/steering.shtml

I would hope Honda would put out a recall for this as it could become dangerous if the steering becomes more erratic.

If Honda doesn’t issue a recall and make this right it could cause this longtime Honda owner to look elsewhere. This is my fifth Honda and we just bought a 2019 Odyssey last year. This lack of quality and standing behind their product could change all that.
I trust my local dealer to, I don’t believe it has anything to do with my lien keeping or lien correction system as I drive with it turned off all the time [can’t stand it – it’s operation is sporadic and inconsistent and I can’t rely on it]. The dealership indicated that it’s not likely the EPS system, but rather a strut bearing. He said the struts are not covered under warranty, is there a wearable item but if it’s a strut bearing failure it is covered by warranty. His recommendation is to wait till it becomes more pronounced and then they’ll have a case to initiate a replacement

kbacon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Sienna, 2016 Honda Civic LX 6MT
Country flag
I trust my local dealer to, I don’t believe it has anything to do with my lien keeping or lien correction system as I drive with it turned off all the time [can’t stand it – it’s operation is sporadic and inconsistent and I can’t rely on it]. The dealership indicated that it’s not likely the EPS system, but rather a strut bearing. He said the struts are not covered under warranty, is there a wearable item but if it’s a strut bearing failure it is covered by warranty. His recommendation is to wait till it becomes more pronounced and then they’ll have a case to initiate a replacement
Thanks Ocelot! That is good input.

Please post here when your issue is resolved.

Last edited:

RollSeven

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
Thanks Ocelot! That is good input.

Please post here when your issue is resolved.
I am experiencing the exact same issue with a 2016 coupe touring. I only have 50,000 miles in the sticky steering wheel is driving me crazy especially during long trips on the highway. I'm going to take it to the dealer and if they say I need a new EPS rack I will be quite displeased. It makes no sense to sing 3 or 4,000 into a 2016 vehicle with such low miles. Next time I'm buying a Kia or a Hyundai with 100,000 mile warranty. I'm not sure if I'm going to get this repaired or not as most of my driving is around town and short distances. The only thing is that I keep my vehicles for 10 years and I've only had this one for five so I'm kind of pissed.
Sponsored