Enough saying the Corolla GR kills the type R

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I don't think anyone is saying this tbh. Totally different cars and just happy more performance cars are being made available, especially in the affordable segment. Fun car, but different animal.

I look at it as a cool potential second car, than any serious consideration to replacing the best car ever. (the Type R)

OP
OP

Scarts

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
come back to this when i smoke you in my gr corolla
From a stop then yes absolutely you will (even the MK7 golf R does) but you are delusional if you think this will be faster than a focus RS from a roll which even the type R beats.

Not sure people thought processes shitty all over the type R all of a sudden when all we can go by right now is a bit of basic coherent thoughts put together to come to the conclusion which is obvious. As a rally car/drift car then garenteed the GR absolutely destroys the type R.

OP
OP

Scarts

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Imagine how insecure you'd have to be to write this OP.
With a response like that I would imply that any reasonable debate that I'm "insure". Am I freaking out, calling people names, etc? Imagine a world where people can actually have a peaceful debate without -

A. Having people call them insecure.
B. Where the other opposition (usually lefts) freak out in a frenzy resulting in a seizure.

typearghhhh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
From a stop then yes absolutely you will (even the MK7 golf R does) but you are delusional if you think this will be faster than a focus RS from a roll which even the type R beats.

Not sure people thought processes shitty all over the type R all of a sudden when all we can go by right now is a bit of basic coherent thoughts put together to come to the conclusion which is obvious. As a rally car/drift car then garenteed the GR absolutely destroys the type R.
im just playin type r is a beast and corolla gr is a beast why does everything have to be a competition there barely identical cars

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
Lap times will be the determining case for which is faster.

drag races are pointless. If you want that get a dct performance car or a automatic muscle car. In my honest opinion.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Chassis dyno + corrected numbers, also pretty easy to dispel this. The 86 weighs the same as the Yaris GR, dynos 209whp, yet runs and traps a nearly identical 1/4 mile. If the 278whp number was to the wheels, it would be running 12's, not high 13's.
I'm looking at Fastlaps for the ÂĽ mile times for the GR86, GR Yaris, Focus RS, and the FK8 (for fun, it's not really a fair comparison with the FK8). I get the following numbers:
  • GR86: 14.0 s @ 101 MPH
  • GR Yaris: 13.0 s @ 105 MPH
  • Focus RS: 13.1 s (no trap speed)
  • Civic Type R: 13.4 s @ 108 MPH
Since the GR Corolla is using a similar drivetrain, I'd guesstimate its ÂĽ mile to be about 13.6 if we assume the time would scale linearly with the power to weight ratio.

So it does look like the GR Yaris likely has a power to weight ratio closer to the Focus RS if we assume that the quarter mile time is proportional to power to weight ratio. Based on the times, the GR Yaris probably puts like 230-ish to the wheels. Applying this logic over to the GR Corolla I see about 255 to the wheels (assuming same powertrain losses from advertised).

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I can’t wait to test drive the GR. I saw an old 90’s Corrola mobbing down the mountain this past weekend (tires screeching while it took a long sweeper). In my mind it had no business being up there - it looked like it should barely be up and running, but I respected that persons lack of fear. My buddy noticed some tires may have even been mismatched lol

Never the less, with tech advances, and an awd system, I’m sure the GR will surprise everyone and probably give a type R its run for its money through any mountain pass. Awd can have huge advantages over FWD - stock vs stock, I see the CTR taking it, but with some suspension mods, I give it to the GR - but just my 2 cents and prediction.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
I can’t wait to test drive the GR. I saw an old 90’s Corrola mobbing down the mountain this past weekend (tires screeching while it took a long sweeper). In my mind it had no business being up there - it looked like it should barely be up and running, but I respected that persons lack of fear. My buddy noticed some tires may have even been mismatched lol

Never the less, with tech advances, and an awd system, I’m sure the GR will surprise everyone and probably give a type R its run for its money through any mountain pass. Awd can have huge advantages over FWD - stock vs stock, I see the CTR taking it, but with some suspension mods, I give it to the GR - but just my 2 cents and prediction.
with all that being said. Gr yaris runs a 7.56 and the Focus rs runs a 8.06 time on the ring…

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Speaking for Type R owners, I don't think that anyone is actually saying what OP is claiming.

Literally everyone's response: new, high quality AWD hot hatch = awesome.

I hope it is faster than the FK8. Maybe it will inspire Honda not to rest on their laurels.