Engine / Turbo Reliability?

SpartanSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX and Honda CR-V
Country flag
I fully expect my 2016 Civic Touring to maintain Honda's historical depreciation rate. No more no less. Not quite sure what additional ownership responsibility you are referring to. Turbos are not what they where 10- 20 years ago. Turbocharged or supercharged engines are becoming commonplace to reach milage targets.

I believe a well maintained popular car, in the right colour, with the right options will be more important in maintaining value than power train choice.
Not throwing stones at your choice....the Civic is a really nice car. The CVT is a good match for the turbo and the Touring model for the money is a screaming good deal. The challenge for Honda comes from the people who do not care for their cars. The lease candidate or the person who views the Civic as an appliance vs. something that requires care and preventative maintenance. Yes, turbos have improved but, when you increase cylinder pressures to over 16psi, combine this is variable octane fuels, non-oil savy consumers and little or no mechanical knowledge? These same people will buy this car and abuse this car due to its value or low price and boosted power. They will run their cars with their pedal mashed to the floor and wonder why things break? These people will also be the reason for reduced value upon resale. I am sure that your a responsible owner and that you will love and care for your car......what you may not have considered is that you are the exceptional customer and not the normal customer for this car? The normal customer and their experience over 3-5 years is what will influence the value of this car more than anything. Honestly.....this is realistic and have heard this same concern uttered by more than one Honda salesperson or technician.....not trying to be a smart a$$ but, have done my share of maintenance and engine work to know that the higher the HP, the higher the boost or RPM's, the more potential you will have with reliability issues. As I said, this is not meant to throw stones at your purchase......just trying to be realistic concerning expectations. I fully plan to purchase a new Si.....even with these expectations. Enjoy your ride!
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Selling value or personal value? Two different types of value. Care for any car.....and it will have better personal value. The problem that I see has more to do with selling value.....especially in the turbo cars. Based on price....I see these cars being sold at less than current selling price value.....turbos require more maintenance and ownership responsibility that goes beyond the customer who views the car more as an appliance than something that needs to be cared for......hard to convey ownership maintenance when there will be a bevy of cars that are leased, beaten and returned to the dealership......Subaru does not lease the WRX for a reason.....Ford does not lease the Mustang GT for a reason......do you really believe that the value of a turbo car after 3 years of limited care via lease ownership returns will equate with higher selling value?
I do agree that the increased complexity of these motors will chip away at Honda's reliability ratings. But I do think some brain-dead features such as the maintenance minder have made these cars more or less "idiot proof." The average Joe who buys this car new and goes to the dealer for minimum recommended service, will have no problem keeping their car running like every other Honda they've owned. I expect issues to surface when we get to 2nd and 3rd owners who ignore obvious maintenance needs and expect the car to keep chugging along. The days of running a Honda on extended OCIs with cheap gas/oil/filters have passed.

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
I do agree that the increased complexity of these motors will chip away at Honda's reliability ratings. But I do think some brain-dead features such as the maintenance minder have made these cars more or less "idiot proof." The average Joe who buys this car new and goes to the dealer for minimum recommended service, will have no problem keeping their car running like every other Honda they've owned. I expect issues to surface when we get to 2nd and 3rd owners who ignore obvious maintenance needs and expect the car to keep chugging along. The days of running a Honda on extended OCIs with cheap gas/oil/filters have passed.
Hasn't ended maybe for the si, type R and sport hatches it has

captlwr

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Manual
Country flag
Ok I've read all the above - and I've had Turbo engines before - but this is my first Turbo Honda (2018 Hatchback Sport Manual 1.5L) - and what I CAN say from personal observation is that it's just as quick as my 2012 Si Sedan with 2.4L NA engine. I have always used Shell V-Power Nitro Plus fuel - and have always used Royal Purple synthetic Motor Oil, changed every 3000 miles along with the Filter..........my biggest concern is the 1.5T is now made in Thailand and not Japan..............
Sponsored