Engine / Turbo Reliability?

Iibrahim264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord
Well if things are true the civic Si will possess a 1.5t engine and if by some miracle its a 2t turbo. My question is how will this new turbo affect reliability? Will it have the same well known reliability we've come te expect from the civic? Or will we sacrifice some of the reliability for the new turbos? PS I'm kind of a newb when it come to this so any info would help thanks.
Sponsored

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In Honda we trust. Purchasing the seven year factory warranty might also be a prudent investment.

OP
OP

Iibrahim264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord
U think I could sell it for a decent amount after the warranty is done? Provided I maintained it good. Also a record of everything. Every oil change or other things I change it like air filters and shit?

OP
OP

Iibrahim264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord
Let's hope because buying a new car for the first time is big deal but I trust this company. I'll also do my part and take care if my car to the maximum extent. I drive an accord atm so it'll be a big upgrade to the new Si

froidpython

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic Si
I will probably wait and get the third year, usually by the third year they've improved it. But more parts do mean more things can go wrong. But I think they will do a great job on it.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I think most of us agree that with Honda introducing direct injection turbo, fuel and oil quality will be much more important to overall reliability. Invest in a high quality synthetic; preferably one that meets Honda's HTO-06 standard. Stick with fuel providers adhering to the minimum standards outlined in top tier (more a marketing gimmick but still useful).
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers/

That said, stick with the recommended intervals and most should have no problem going North of 200K.

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic EX, 2016 Civic EX
I think most of us agree that with Honda introducing direct injection turbo, fuel and oil quality will be much more important to overall reliability. Invest in a high quality synthetic; preferably one that meets Honda's HTO-06 standard. Stick with fuel providers adhering to the minimum standards outlined in top tier (more a marketing gimmick but still useful).
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers/

That said, stick with the recommended intervals and most should have no problem going North of 200K.
Find it interesting that Sunoco did not make the USA list. That's all i've ever put in my 2010 EX every since i bought it.

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
The engine should maintain reliability... IMO in the long run, the 2.0 N/A will outlast the 1.5T however it does not mean the 1.5T wont be a great motor. We will have to wait and see. As stated above, Full synthetic oil improves turbo health due to the higher operating temperature of the oil. It helps prevents coking in the bearings. Another thing you can do to maintain the turbo is idle the engine after you run it hard for any period of time, this will allow oil to circulate in the turbo and bring it back to regular temperature. If the turbo is too hot and you turn the car off, the turbo will heat soak and cook the oil.

The better you treat the turbo the longer it will last.

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic EX, 2016 Civic EX
The engine should maintain reliability... IMO in the long run, the 2.0 N/A will outlast the 1.5T however it does not mean the 1.5T wont be a great motor. We will have to wait and see. As stated above, Full synthetic oil improves turbo health due to the higher operating temperature of the oil. It helps prevents coking in the bearings. Another thing you can do to maintain the turbo is idle the engine after you run it hard for any period of time, this will allow oil to circulate in the turbo and bring it back to regular temperature. If the turbo is too hot and you turn the car off, the turbo will heat soak and cook the oil.

The better you treat the turbo the longer it will last.
Spool downs FTW

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
These days I think convection will address most cool-down scenarios involving the turbo. But I would never argue against idling an extra 30-60 secs after a hard drive.

tgold106

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
Vehicle Showcase
I love my 2016 Civic Touring with Turbo! It's so smooth and responsive that it makes me feel like I am driving my 2003 Acura TL VTEC 6 cyl which we had in the family for 13 years and over a 118k miles. I am on my second week and still can't believe it's: a) a Civic b) it's a Turbo that takes Regular Unleaded Gas (unlike my Mini Copper Countryman), c) gets 35 mpg combined (which I am testing now) d) it is filled with an amazing amount of technology e) costs less than my 2003 Acura TL but feels like I am driving an Acura.

SpartanSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX and Honda CR-V
Country flag
Well if things are true the civic Si will possess a 1.5t engine and if by some miracle its a 2t turbo. My question is how will this new turbo affect reliability? Will it have the same well known reliability we've come te expect from the civic? Or will we sacrifice some of the reliability for the new turbos? PS I'm kind of a newb when it come to this so any info would help thanks.
Depends on boost pressure and how well the engine is built to handle this boost pressure than anything. Over time, high boost in a gas engine will always be prone to cylinder pressure issues, head gasket failures, oil leakage, oil burning, transmission gear and clutch issues.......when you couple this with low price point, customers with limited understanding of mechanical things and engines that have higher torque and manual transmissions........there is zero doubt in my mind that durability will be mixed and the civic with these engines have the potential to fail sooner than current normally aspired (non-turbo) lower torque engines

With the variability of gas octane and additives with non-premuim gas......what you put into the car will determine the longevity of the engine. I know Honda is talking about being able to run regular with their turbo 1.5 engine, I would expect the Si, if it does have a 2.0 will require premium fuel to minimize destructive detination issues. Synthetic oil, changed on a regular basis, coupled with premium fuel, proper break in and warming up the turbo and engine before stomping on the gas will help with long term reliability. This......stuff though is not stuff your "typical" Honda owner will know or care about, so what do you think will happen with the Civics reliability rating? Honda is......in my opinion offering too many models with the turbo engines. Couple this with manual transmissions and people who do not understand how to drive them........I think you can piece together the rest for yourself.....

SpartanSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX and Honda CR-V
Country flag
Yes, a Honda product will maintain value if cared for properly.
Selling value or personal value? Two different types of value. Care for any car.....and it will have better personal value. The problem that I see has more to do with selling value.....especially in the turbo cars. Based on price....I see these cars being sold at less than current selling price value.....turbos require more maintenance and ownership responsibility that goes beyond the customer who views the car more as an appliance than something that needs to be cared for......hard to convey ownership maintenance when there will be a bevy of cars that are leased, beaten and returned to the dealership......Subaru does not lease the WRX for a reason.....Ford does not lease the Mustang GT for a reason......do you really believe that the value of a turbo car after 3 years of limited care via lease ownership returns will equate with higher selling value?

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I fully expect my 2016 Civic Touring to maintain Honda's historical depreciation rate. No more no less. Not quite sure what additional ownership responsibility you are referring to. Turbos are not what they where 10- 20 years ago. Turbocharged or supercharged engines are becoming commonplace to reach milage targets.

I believe a well maintained popular car, in the right colour, with the right options will be more important in maintaining value than power train choice.
Sponsored