IvanJonn

First Name
Ivan Jonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Hello all, I recently started to notice a noise coming from my car. Noticed it after my previous full tank. It's an engine ticking noise. Yes I know what the DI ticking is, this sounds louder. I'm confused to what it may be, as it idles as smooth as butter. I only notice it on lighter throttle applications when driving in gear, as the noise fades away when more throttle application is put. When idle, even if I raise the RPM's high it doesn't tick, only when I apply a sudden burst of throttle.

Please ask questions! I can answer them accordingly to my experience.

Here is a link to a clip of the noise. Disregard the buzzing that's coming from the interior of the car. That's just my armrest vibrating. You'll be able to distinguish the armrest vibrating to the ticking I'm hearing.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/X58fLNwVmqVuLvCh6
Sponsored

TranceFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Manual
Country flag
You know what my car started to do this as well recently. But I've had my clutch and flywheel changed about 8k miles ago. For me it only happens when I'm in 2nd or 3rd gear getting into boost. But it doesn't happen every time.

OP
OP
IvanJonn

IvanJonn

First Name
Ivan Jonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
You know what my car started to do this as well recently. But I've had my clutch and flywheel changed about 8k miles ago. For me it only happens when I'm in 2nd or 3rd gear getting into boost. But it doesn't happen every time.
My clutch and flywheel have been changed out also. I'm definitely not stock by any means haha, I have the CTR retrofit clutch. Got it in maybe 3-4K miles ago. I was listening close though, I don't think it's coming from the transmission.

TranceFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Manual
Country flag
My clutch and flywheel have been changed out also. I'm definitely not stock by any means haha, I have the CTR retrofit clutch. Got it in maybe 3-4K miles ago. I was listening close though, I don't think it's coming from the transmission.
What's your plan to figure it out. I'm already thinking I'm gonna have to have my transmission dropped to check everything out. Thinking maybe it's my throw out bearing going bad already

OP
OP
IvanJonn

IvanJonn

First Name
Ivan Jonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I'm not sure if it's like a rocker arm or something under the valve cover going out... But if it was, I would think that the sound would be present throughout the WHOLE RPM range, and get progressively louder or faster in speed. But it only seems to come out under certain conditions.

I'm hoping it's not something under the valve cover. I was thinking maybe it might be a bad fuel injector or something up with the throttle body. Hopefully more people see this and help me figure out what it might be.

OP
OP
IvanJonn

IvanJonn

First Name
Ivan Jonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Also, I'm not sure if this is related, but I've been keeping an eye on my TunerView app, and have noticed 2 things

1. KC rising abnormally under even light light conditions (maybe inaccurate from detecting the ticking?)
2. At about 15% throttle, you can see the app suddenly blip and read 100% throttle and the STFT AND LTFT jump to crazy numbers.

Anyone have insight on this also? Here is a link to the screen recording showing this happening.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/atX7AHDtJgghPyhw9

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2001 Integra Type R, 2019 RDX A-Spec
Country flag
That sounds like an exhaust leak at the turbo or downpipe flange, judging by the video.

OP
OP
IvanJonn

IvanJonn

First Name
Ivan Jonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
That sounds like an exhaust leak at the turbo or downpipe flange, judging by the video.
Hmm, I'll have to check that out. The sound definitely sounds like it's coming from the top though. Did you happen to also see my screen recording of my TunerView app? Any reason the STFT AND LTFT and throttle pssition would blip up that high? Is it actually reading something or just a bug in the app?

OP
OP
IvanJonn

IvanJonn

First Name
Ivan Jonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Anyone following this, I THINK and I HOPE I figured it out. I replaced the engine oil and filter, removed the intake manifold and cleaned it, replaced spark plugs, and checked and adjusted the valves a bit.

All to no progress. I finally think I narrowed it down by looking up videos of a similar noise and listening really closely to the pattern of the rattling. I've come to believe it is my timing chain tensioner. I just removed the tensioner and it exploded apart. Since it's Sunday I can't get a replacement part immediately, so hopefully the dealership has one in stock otherwise I'll have to order and wait for it to arrive.

Stay tuned for updates!! I'm shocked that the tensioner gave out so early.

Honda Civic 10th gen Engine Ticking? IMG_20191020_140527

Honda Civic 10th gen Engine Ticking? IMG_20191020_140545

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Anyone following this,

---------
I just removed the tensioner and it exploded apart.
---------

IMG_20191020_140527.jpg

IMG_20191020_140545.jpg
Exploded apart, or just "sprung" apart because you disassembled it.
Was there any actual damage or significant wear to the tensioner ?

Maybe when you get a new one, you can compare them and let us know.

I assume the timing chain had not slipped ??

When I searched the Internet, I found this:-

Honda
• All Honda engines are interference except 3.0L & 3.2 which are Non-interference
If this is true, a slipped timing chain could really ruin both your engine & your day.
If the tensioners go, do Honda timing chains "slip" (or just get noisy ?)

I know on my Maxima, that has an Interference Engine and a Timing BELT, what when the tensioner failed a few years ago, it really messed up the engine and bent a lot of valves etc etc :( $$$$$$$$ :(

OP
OP
IvanJonn

IvanJonn

First Name
Ivan Jonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
How hard is it to check this part?
Not insanely hard, but if you remove the access cover you'll have to scrape off and reapply some gasket maker/sealant. The right stuff to use it Hondabond, but some use Permatex Ultra Grey. I would personally get the Hondabond. You should be able to get some at the dealership. Really good stuff.

But basically, remove the passenger tire, unclip two clips from the underbody shield and pull it down, then the plate is held on by two 10mm bolts. Use a pry tool that won't gouge the block, since the factory sealant is on there pretty strong. After you remove the cover, before unbolting the two 10mm bolts holding on the tensioner, push back tension and get a pushpin to insert into the hole to hold the tension so you can remove the tensioner.

OP
OP
IvanJonn

IvanJonn

First Name
Ivan Jonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Exploded apart, or just "sprung" apart because you disassembled it.
Was there any actual damage or significant wear to the tensioner ?

Maybe when you get a new one, you can compare them and let us know.

I assume the timing chain had not slipped ??

When I searched the Internet, I found this:-

If this is true, a slipped timing chain could really ruin both your engine & your day.
If the tensioners go, do Honda timing chains "slip" (or just get noisy ?)

I know on my Maxima, that has an Interference Engine and a Timing BELT, what when the tensioner failed a few years ago, it really messed up the engine and bent a lot of valves etc etc :( $$$$$$$$ :(
So I had a friend ask me the same thing. There are little teeth on the cylinder of the tensioner that should catch and hold the cylinder down much like a jackstand. However, there may have been a possibility that it sprung apart when I removed the pin. I'm honestly not too sure, but I did remove the pin carefully. From what I could visually see I couldn't see any major damage... But it may have been internal. I'll definitely compare both when I obtain one. The chain did not slip as the car runs perfectly fine and the timing does not seem off in any way.

I'm pretty familiar with the interference engine design as I used to have a 2001 Mitsubishi Galant which had that design on a timing belt. It would be a nightmare for a belt to break on an interference engine, so change your belts on time people hahaha

For this engine, and in my case, my best assumption is that my tensioner was on its way out. As I only heard the clicking under low throttle applications. Under heavier throttle the noise would go away. These tensioners are assisted by oil pressure. The spring will hold up the tension but the oil pressure will maintain it. That's why I think it's the tensioner starting to fail because the increased throttle application sent more oil pressure to the tensioner, resulting in the noise going away.

Also one other observation I had when removing the tensioner, was that the tension was very easy to push down for me to put the pin inside. And also when I was doing this, oil was leaking through the sides of the tensioner cylinder, which makes me think there's some oil pressure loss. Because the oil should enter the bottom of the tensioner and be relieved through the same way, not anywhere else.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
For this engine, and in my case, my best assumption is that my tensioner was on its way out. .
That's a little disturbing for a 2018 Si ... we also have a 2018 Si, so now I am getting concerned.
Not seen any other reports about the Tensioner on the 2018 Civics, maybe you were just unlucky.
Have to wonder if the oil grade had any effect ??

This whole OIL grade thing with these GenX Honda's seems a little off.
In Europe they seem to allow a thicker grade oil, and still be under warranty, but here in the USA, where they have specified a thinner oil (one presumes to meet USA MPG requirement), you seem to run the risk of voiding the "Almighty Honda Warranty" if you us the same oil as is recommended in Europe.
Sounds like there is some major BS here !!

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
That's a little disturbing for a 2018 Si ... we also have a 2018 Si, so now I am getting concerned.
Not seen any other reports about the Tensioner on the 2018 Civics, maybe you were just unlucky.
Have to wonder if the oil grade had any effect ??

This whole OIL grade thing with these GenX Honda's seems a little off.
In Europe they seem to allow a thicker grade oil, and still be under warranty, but here in the USA, where they have specified a thinner oil (one presumes to meet USA MPG requirement), you seem to run the risk of voiding the "Almighty Honda Warranty" if you us the same oil as is recommended in Europe.
Sounds like there is some major BS here !!
At least in Spain they must use 0w20, I've seen some dealers putting 5w30 but because it's cheaper or because they are stupid, a user noticed worse MPG with that oil (not even designed for these engines specs) and the dealer had to change it to the recommended 0w20. The rule here is 0w20 and all will be fine.
Sponsored