Engine Swap possible

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
i dont mean it like that i know its not easy its common sense and obvious expensive but not as expensive as buyibg a new damn freaking car 20k and up All im say IS IT POSSIBLE? DONT WORRY ABOUT MY WALLET THATS THE QUESTION BUT CAN IT HAPPEN IM guessing it is possible but you guys just conplain how expensive it is i get im not talking about finances in general im talking about mechanics and engineering can i add 160+ HP into my 2015 Honda Civic Coupe Lx by adding a turbocharger a cool air intake and etc w.e it needs to functional well im hispanic so i know couple of tuners and good mechanics.
Then go ask your “good mechanics and tuners.”
Sponsored

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
i guess civic to civic owners don't get along lol ? well do sir no help here.
You have been given copious amounts of information on this post. Can you read and absorb the information given? Every bit of advice given to you has been the same.

You sound lost. You are on a civicx forum asking about a 9th gen platform. You have no idea what engines are compatible.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your going to spend about 6gs just doing a standard k swap into your car. At that point selling your car and just getting an Si would be better since it comes with an lsd, better brakes, better suspension and is meant to run the engine it has in. If you want to mod your base model then you should just be doing interior and exterior mods and leave the engine alone.

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
so im better off swapping a K20C4 engine then
Noo, you’re better off swapping any k but the c and w variants. Pretty much any k series powered si, rsx, tsx, cr-v, accord and element. Either way, it’s going to cost a lot regardless. Just even more if you try a fk8 swap.

OP
OP
Driven93

Driven93

First Name
jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Civic LX Coupe
Country flag
You have been given copious amounts of information on this post. Can you read and absorb the information given? Every bit of advice given to you has been the same.

You sound lost. You are on a civicx forum asking about a 9th gen platform. You have no idea what engines are compatible.
oh no sir im on the 9th gen too not lost at all im not blind ? you guys on 10th gen reply those f*ckers on the 9th gen don't the 2 post below your response seems more honest and reasonable.

Nexus713

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport (Sedan)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
If i had saved 7k (only to spend for cars) and 9th gen Civic - trade-in / sell your 9th gen and either buy used Si for that money, or give like 10k downpayment and get 10th gen Type-R with smaller monthly payment.

But that is my personal opinion (advice?) - not telling you what to do.

If you are really attached to your actual car and not willing to sell it/trade-in then gather your crew and swap some big bad boy just remember about better brakes, suspension, transmission etc otherwise you won’t get full potential of your new engine.

Badigadi

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I mean some madman put a Ferrari engine in a GT86, if you got the money you can do it.

The question is, Do you have enough money?

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si sedan, 2015 Fit, 2009 Ridgeline
Country flag
I looked into swapping a k24 into a third gen Fit. This would be easier than what you're talking about because I found companies that had already sorted out the mounts and the downpipe. Also because the k24 and transmission would be relatively cheap compared to a CTR setup.

Gave up because nobody had a wiring harness available, and I don't see that changing because it's a CANBUS setup- ScienceofSpeed had someone make a translator module to get a K swap into an S2000, but I don't know how to code and I certainly can't afford to hire a software guy to figure it out. The cost of a standalone ECU with a race style digital dash was going to be $3k before tuning, and the whole project was easily looking like more than the car was worth.

I suppose I might have had some luck with grafting a different dashboard onto the Fit to match the k24 wiring, but that's way more work than I'd be willing to do. To pay a shop to do it? Probably double the cost of the project in labor alone. At the end of the day, I bought an Si.

When people tell you "anything is possible," they're not wrong. Look at this if you want to know what is possible with a Civic-

https://www.motor1.com/news/129113/honda-civic-fwd-quarter-mile-record/

To get 300hp out of your car is not impossible. It will likely require new pistons, rods, maybe a serious fuel system upgrade to support a turbo, the turbo and all associated plumbing, and a fair amount of dyno time for a custom tune.

There's a guy on the Fit forum who decided to go for it anyway and do a serious NA build on the L15B1. He's into it close to $10k already, doing a fair amount of the labor himself, and I'd be surprised if he clears 200hp.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd...15b1-max-effort-na-engine-build-thread-3.html

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
i dont mean it like that i know its not easy its common sense and obvious expensive but not as expensive as buying a new damn freaking car 20k and up All im say IS IT POSSIBLE? DONT WORRY ABOUT MY WALLET THATS NOT THE QUESTION IM asking BUT CAN IT HAPPEN IM guessing it is possible but you guys just complain how expensive it is i get im not talking about finances in general im talking about mechanics and engineering can i add 160+ HP into my 2015 Honda Civic Coupe Lx by adding a turbocharger a cool air intake and etc w.e it needs to be functional well and i know couple of tuners and good mechanics I live in LA there's a lot tuning and modifying but yes expensive.
thats the thing, there is no cheap way to do this. Car hobby is a very expensive hobby. You will pay that price tag one way or the other. By the time you done researching, sourse out part, DIY it or pay someone to do it (alot of half @$$ crap tuner shop out there, watch out for that), you may as well buy an another car.

It is your car, do what u want. Just trying to share it since i have been down that road.

Last edited:

Barticus520

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic sport touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have notices allot of the people here jump at others throats. lol this is crazy. He is asking a question and even if you think it is stupid or should be common sense it may not be to him.

to the original poster.In my opinion it isn’t worth it. Either use the money to get a si or do the k series swap. A turbo on the base engine would need too many upgrades to get to the power you’re talking about.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I have notices allot of the people here jump at others throats. lol this is crazy. He is asking a question and even if you think it is stupid or should be common sense it may not be to him.

to the original poster.In my opinion it isn’t worth it. Either use the money to get a si or do the k series swap. A turbo on the base engine would need too many upgrades to get to the power you’re talking about.
Interestingly, no one jumped at the OP. Everyone's advice here, including yours, was similar and honest and trying to help the guy. Even my suggesting he might consider a trade for a 10th gen instead, was well meaning. I mean, with an ECU tune, that would have him close to his goals in a cleaner, more realistic way.

ATLAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
i dont mean it like that i know its not easy its common sense and obvious expensive but not as expensive as buying a new damn freaking car 20k and up All im say IS IT POSSIBLE? DONT WORRY ABOUT MY WALLET THATS NOT THE QUESTION IM asking BUT CAN IT HAPPEN IM guessing it is possible but you guys just complain how expensive it is i get im not talking about finances in general im talking about mechanics and engineering can i add 160+ HP into my 2015 Honda Civic Coupe Lx by adding a turbocharger a cool air intake and etc w.e it needs to be functional well and i know couple of tuners and good mechanics I live in LA there's a lot tuning and modifying but yes expensive.
All I was saying was that your post made it seem like you think you can just throw a turbo on a car and pair it with a CAI and voila 300 HP. That is not the case, as many on here have already stated. I am by no means an "expert car guy", but I would like to think I know more that the average person about how cars work. In todays culture, via youtube, Netflix, Facebook, etc... people make it out to look like you can just throw a supercharger or a turbocharger on a car to gain a ton of HP. However, what isn't always indicated is all the other work that goes on as well. Also, many of the more expensive vehicles and supercars that you see people throwing double turbochargers on or adding insane amount of power, have stock engine internals that can actually take more power.

I can tell you right now that a 2015 Honda Civic LX (designed for 143 HP and 129 lb-ft) would need upgraded intake, exhaust, brakes, suspension, transmission, wheels, tires and engine internals to be able to slap on turbocharger. That would cost way more than 7k for parts and labor. Even if you were to K-swap an new engine (say from the Type-R [if it fits]), it would still require upgraded brakes, suspension, transmission, wheels, tires, intake and exhaust. The Lx coupe was designed as a economy friendly car that gets good gas mileage so trying to get over twice the amount of power from it will be difficult and expensive.

As many have said if you want to stick with Honda and want more power, there are better ways. In looking at your KBB value of your car, you could probably get around 10K for it. In your area you can probably find a decent EX-T for around 16-17K via a dealer. If you go private seller, you could probably knock off a few grand. Then purchase a Ktuner and with a OTS tune and you are looking at between 200-220HP and 230-250 lb-ft. If you save a bit more you could find a good deal on an Si (or if you find a private seller [FB or Craigslist] even cheaper), buy a KTuner as well as an intake and exhaust and suddenly with an OTS tune you could be around 250 HP and 300 lb-ft all for less than buying a new 20K car (per your words) or spending way more than 7K to get to 300HP in your current car.

Take this advice how you please. If you think I am jumping on you that is not my intention just trying to explain that adding the amount of HP in your current car you desire is not easy or inexpensive

Conika

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
i have 7k saved up a lot of lower class people don't have the luxury to buy a 50k corvette or 70k shelby mustang so yeah gettibg a cheap reliable car like a honda civic and just adding 200+ HP just to hit the sweet spot of a need for speed to make it a fun car to drive thats all i want its not like i want to go drag racing a quarter mile with a 300hp car.
If you are someone who only has 7k saved up and consider yourself “lower class”. You really don’t need to be playing “Fast and the Furious”.

Too many people get themselves into trouble by spending money they don’t have, on things they don’t need. Don’t let impulse keep you in poverty my friend.
Sponsored