Engine sounds like knocking when cold

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Did you listen to the video I posted? It's not a growl it's a knocking at idle. When I drive it and the engine is cold I keep it well under 2500 rpm and don't get into boost until the car is warm.
Me and my friend don't think it's knocking. But it's just too hard to tell really. You need to change your oil asap. Having an original filter on there makes me feel sick.
Sponsored

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Me and my friend don't think it's knocking. But it's just too hard to tell really. You need to change your oil asap. Having an original filter on there makes me feel sick.
Won't they just tell me to stick to the maintained minder? When I got the car they said bring it when the car says.

I have an appointment Thursday morning and will be dropping it off Wednesday night and going back to start it with a tech when the engine is cold. so I'll see what he says. Also I'll start a couple other 1.5 turbos when the lobby opens to compair engine sound. I really just want to make sure everything sounds and looks right on the car so there is no problems when I trade it in in a few months.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Won't they just tell me to stick to the maintained minder? When I got the car they said bring it when the car says.

I have an appointment Thursday morning and will be dropping it off Wednesday night and going back to start it with a tech when the engine is cold. so I'll see what he says. Also I'll start a couple other 1.5 turbos when the lobby opens to compair engine sound. I really just want to make sure everything sounds and looks right on the car so there is no problems when I trade it in in a few months.
Lots of threads on that topic.. Northern will give u a slight different answer than i will..

Stick to the mm for the first oil change 100% let the molybdenum coat ur magnesium parts and such.. U can continue to follow the mm after that.. Wich will have you change oil every 10k miles or 1 year.

I will follow mm for first oil change.. However after that i will be changing every 5 to 7.5k miles.. Once vits new turbo is out however i will not go over 5k.. Likelly between 3.5 to 5k

mikeshin92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic Touring
Country flag
any updates from the dealer? My touring makes the same noise as your sound clip in extreme cold climates. I thought it was knocking too but it goes away very quickly. Please let me know if you have any results!

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
any updates from the dealer? My touring makes the same noise as your sound clip in extreme cold climates. I thought it was knocking too but it goes away very quickly. Please let me know if you have any results!
I tried to bring the car in and wanted to leave it overnight and come back in the morning for a true cold start. The dealer said no problem and said I could get a loaner car. I go in and ask for the loaner and they told me they need to confirm a problem. So I couldn't get it check out. When I bring the car in for the engine grinding noise I'll ask them to check you the noise in the video also.

mikeshin92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic Touring
Country flag
I tried to bring the car in and wanted to leave it overnight and come back in the morning for a true cold start. The dealer said no problem and said I could get a loaner car. I go in and ask for the loaner and they told me they need to confirm a problem. So I couldn't get it check out. When I bring the car in for the engine grinding noise I'll ask them to check you the noise in the video also.
Thanks for the update. I assume the noise is something other than knocking. I feel that if it was actually knocking, the knock sensors would throw a code and the CEL would go off. Knowing that other 1.5T owner has the same issue as me makes it seem like the sound is just a cold start noise. But please let us know if you get anywhere with the dealer!

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Any update to this??
Sponsored