Engine sounds like knocking when cold

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
So I drive short distances to and from work. About 4 miles and its city driving. I don't drive the car hard. Since I've owned it I probably only went wot 10 times. My first oil change didn't pop up until 9 months. It currently has 4300 miles and for B service and the oil is at 70%. When I got the first oil change Honda did it so I'm assuming that they changed the filter.

I pulled the engine stick out and the oil was like 3 quarters of the way up the stick (i dont know if that makes a difference) here's a picture of the oil in the paper towel.

It doesn't sound ticking. More knocking. I will upload the video in a little while.

IMG_0920.JPG
Ok... let's see it on the dipstick. Pull it out, wipe it completely dry, put it back in and wait 2 seconds and pull back out and keep the stick facing towards the ground. Take another picture :thumbsup:

Schedule and oil change now, I know you've been around a long time and hearing you have the original filter worry me.. even though you are still within spec.
Sponsored

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here's the video. You gotta be in a really quite room to here it but I do here it in the video

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here's the video. You gotta be in a really quite room to here it but I do here it in the video
That doesn't sound good, that sounds like low end knocking. You didn't mess with any aftermarket motor mounts did you?

Can you list any aftermarket mods you've done. Exhaust, intake, mounts, suspension.

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That doesn't sound good, that sounds like low end knocking. You didn't mess with any aftermarket motor mounts did you?

Can you list any aftermarket mods you've done. Exhaust, intake, mounts, suspension.
No car is 100% stock.
It doesn't sound good to me. I just don't know why it only happens when the engine is cold.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
No car is 100% stock.
It doesn't sound good to me. I just don't know why it only happens when the engine is cold.
Alot of issues with cars will only be prevalent as cold or hot conditions... Urs is a cold condition..that shouldnt be there

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are you going to check the oil again @domm92 ? We can tell a lot better when it's on the stick..
Yea I'm just really busy with work. I'll try to get it up sometime Sunday.

Did you see my video I posted. What do you think not normal ?

I don't know much about cars so sorry if I seem clueless haha.

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Alot of issues with cars will only be prevalent as cold or hot conditions... Urs is a cold condition..that shouldnt be there
Im worried now that since I left it for 4 months that maybe the engine has more damage. Im afraid that they will tell me nothing is wrong. Or if they fix it that there is no long term damage. I guess I'll make an appointment

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Im worried now that since I left it for 4 months that maybe the engine has more damage. Im afraid that they will tell me nothing is wrong. Or if they fix it that there is no long term damage. I guess I'll make an appointment
I woulda posted that soundclip sooner.. And made an appointment.. Valve tick.. Os what i thought u had originally.. Ir video is def not a tick.. And not normal imho

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh amd make a later appointment.. Unless u can leave the car at the lot the nigjt before and then get a ride to ur appointment.. As that cars is gonna have to be cold... Also.. BEFORE ANYONE!!! Touches ur car.. Ask for the service writter to go to the car with you.. Start it up.. And wait however long it takes normally to hear the knock.. I wouldnt even hand over my keys... And made sure its effin cold and do it togehter

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh amd make a later appointment.. Unless u can leave the car at the lot the nigjt before and then get a ride to ur appointment.. As that cars is gonna have to be cold... Also.. BEFORE ANYONE!!! Touches ur car.. Ask for the service writter to go to the car with you.. Start it up.. And wait however long it takes normally to hear the knock.. I wouldnt even hand over my keys... And made sure its effin cold and do it togehter
And the tech too if possible..

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yea im going to make the appointment and ask for a loaner vehicle. drop it off the night before go back in the morning and make the tech sit in the passenger seat and listen. And if they say nothings wrong i'll ask to start a few other 1.5 civic and listen to them to compare.

Sparkeyoo7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Hey everyone.
i didn't see anything about this when i searched so here we go.

i've been experiencing this for about 5 or 6 months since the cold weather.
After leaving the car overnight or after 8 hours of work in cold weather i'll go out start it up and it will rev around 2200 rpm i guess to get the car warm which all cars do. But the problem is when i put
the car in drive the rpms fall and it sounds like the engine is knocking. and this only happens
after putting the car in Drive. If i put it back in Park the rpms come back up and the knocking is gone.

Yesterday after work i started the car put it in Drive and the same Knocking but sounded worse and
for the first time it was making the interior make a rattle buzz and shake a little.
I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this knocking noise when the engine is cold and you put it in drive. once the car is fully warmed the knocking is gone.

i have a 2016 touring sedan.

thanks
I Have the Same Car the 1.5T sounds a bit like it is knocking but it is not I find it has a nice little growl to it and it is more pronounced when it is cold but keep in mind it is a turbo and during engine warm up it should be driven easy turbo parts are fragile and oil heating is essential for proper turbo lubrication if there is no engine light on I wouldn' be worried at all that much about it..

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I Have the Same Car the 1.5T sounds a bit like it is knocking but it is not I find it has a nice little growl to it and it is more pronounced when it is cold but keep in mind it is a turbo and during engine warm up it should be driven easy turbo parts are fragile and oil heating is essential for proper turbo lubrication if there is no engine light on I wouldn' be worried at all that much about it..
Did you listen to the video I posted? It's not a growl it's a knocking at idle. When I drive it and the engine is cold I keep it well under 2500 rpm and don't get into boost until the car is warm.
Sponsored