domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey everyone.
i didn't see anything about this when i searched so here we go.

i've been experiencing this for about 5 or 6 months since the cold weather.
After leaving the car overnight or after 8 hours of work in cold weather i'll go out start it up and it will rev around 2200 rpm i guess to get the car warm which all cars do. But the problem is when i put
the car in drive the rpms fall and it sounds like the engine is knocking. and this only happens
after putting the car in Drive. If i put it back in Park the rpms come back up and the knocking is gone.

Yesterday after work i started the car put it in Drive and the same Knocking but sounded worse and
for the first time it was making the interior make a rattle buzz and shake a little.
I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this knocking noise when the engine is cold and you put it in drive. once the car is fully warmed the knocking is gone.

i have a 2016 touring sedan.

thanks
Sponsored

chokesmaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic LX Manual 2016
Country flag
Any car will sound bad when you first start it in cold weather. If your engine continue to do it while warm then you should worry about it. If you don't then just go easy on it until it is warm and it will be fine.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Wooo wooo woo,, my max cold start rpm is 1600-1800 absolute max. It's actually going above 2000? Mine will valve tick if it goes over 2000 on a cold start for the first few mins when it's really cold. That's normal, the idle isn't imo.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You're from New Jersey, so I assume we're not talking about sub zero temps here. Have you checked your oil level? I try to always wait until the fast idle drops out before I drive my car. My WRX gets all kinds of angry if I drive it before fast idle drops out.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Wooo wooo woo,, my max cold start rpm is 1600-1800 absolute max. It's actually going above 2000? Mine will valve tick if it goes over 2000 on a cold start for the first few mins when it's really cold. That's normal, the idle isn't imo.
Ya seriously.. Im 100% with northern here.. Coldest day or start ever was yesterday.. I got 1600rpm's was actually surprised by that.. Every other cold start ive ever done was 1500rpms max.. Takes about 15-30 seconds to drop to 1250rpm.. Then about 15 seconds later its at 1000rpm's and i go on my way.. Over 2k tho?

Do you have the 1.5t? Like me and northern do... Or do you have a 2.0? Only thing that could explain it.. If its a 1.5t then somethings likely wrong... Unless you are sub 0 degrees farenheit.. Wich i havent really experienced.. If you are tho.. Id recommend a block heater 10000000%

Edit: nm on the 2.0 remarks.. Just saw u have a touring

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Ya seriously.. Im 100% with northern here.. Coldest day or start ever was yesterday.. I got 1600rpm's was actually surprised by that.. Every other cold start ive ever done was 1500rpms max.. Takes about 15-30 seconds to drop to 1250rpm.. Then about 15 seconds later its at 1000rpm's and i go on my way.. Over 2k tho?

Do you have the 1.5t? Like me and northern do... Or do you have a 2.0? Only thing that could explain it.. If its a 1.5t then somethings likely wrong... Unless you are sub 0 degrees farenheit.. Wich i havent really experienced.. If you are tho.. Id recommend a block heater 10000000%

Edit: nm on the 2.0 remarks.. Just saw u have a touring
And rpm's dropping when putting in gear is normal.. As you are engaging some load on the motor by doing so.. But still that 2200....

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You're from New Jersey, so I assume we're not talking about sub zero temps here. Have you checked your oil level? I try to always wait until the fast idle drops out before I drive my car. My WRX gets all kinds of angry if I drive it before fast idle drops out.
Also to add to snoopys reply..
You didnt by chance follow someones advice and "upgrade your oil"?

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry guys. I was thinking of when It's cold and I rev it while driving I get this annoying rattle behind the dash at like 2200 rpm. When I cold started it this morning it was at like 1600.

So really my main concern is the knocking I here when I put the car in drive until it's warmed up. I tried to take a video but it's very faint in the video. Most probably won't here it. I'll upload it if you guys want.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Tell us more about your oil life, how far you drive, oil used, level, etc.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sorry guys. I was thinking of when It's cold and I rev it while driving I get this annoying rattle behind the dash at like 2200 rpm. When I cold started it this morning it was at like 1600.

So really my main concern is the knocking I here when I put the car in drive until it's warmed up. I tried to take a video but it's very faint in the video. Most probably won't here it. I'll upload it if you guys want.
Ya upload something... Mine knocks while idling on a cold start.. Can only hear it if im out of the car or maybe faintly if windows are open

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Are we changing our oil filters EVERY time?

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I drive short distances to and from work. About 4 miles and its city driving. I don't drive the car hard. Since I've owned it I probably only went wot 10 times. My first oil change didn't pop up until 9 months. It currently has 4300 miles and for B service and the oil is at 70%. When I got the first oil change Honda did it so I'm assuming that they changed the filter.

I pulled the engine stick out and the oil was like 3 quarters of the way up the stick (i dont know if that makes a difference) here's a picture of the oil in the paper towel.

It doesn't sound ticking. More knocking. I will upload the video in a little while.

Honda Civic 10th gen Engine sounds like knocking when cold IMG_0920.JPG

Sman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EX Hatch w/ Sensing
fyi the first oil change doesn't require an oil filter change. So since Honda did it, you still have the original oil filter on the car.
The oil color looks fine, but that doesn't mean that it is good/bad....I would always tell my rubbing some between my fingers and judge by that.
Sponsored