Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Mazda Cx-5, (RIP) '17 SGP Civic Hatch Ex
Country flag
This is something I noticed from day 1 when I bought my Si last year September, just never thought to address it... With that being said, anyone else have the same "issue" ? Not sure if that's how the Si's were made or not but when I shut off the car the engine abruptly shakes as it shuts down. I previously owned a 2017 CVT Ex Hatch and that motor didn't shake when shutting down... My girlfriend has the 2016 Civic Ex and same with hers, doesn't shake... I know sounds silly but what gives? I didn't put too much mind to it because I figured it's probably how the Si's were manufactured. Can anyone Chime in on this?

Coincidentally I'm Windo Welding my rear mount this weekend so maybe that'll eliminate the engine movement upon shutdown
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can't say that I feel any odd shake on shutdown. It does have a... 'characteristic' sound that I've heard other DI engines make at idle.

OP
OP
gylmar814

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can't say that I feel any odd shake on shutdown. It does have a... 'characteristic' sound that I've heard other DI engines make at idle.
I personally haven't heard anything strange at idle. Just after about a second after shut down the motor shakes

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I personally haven't heard anything strange at idle. Just after about a second after shut down the motor shakes
Yeah... not strange necessarily... it's just the tone is different. I've heard it on other cars that are DI. Whether it's mechanical fuel pump or what, I couldn't tell you. It just sounds... I don't know... different.

You should have someone cycle it a few times for you and watch your motor w/your hood popped. I'll be home next week, but I'm sure if you took a vid of it, someone could post a vid for comparison. Could be a mount issue that'd be covered under warranty. My RSX didn't shake on shutdown but had a pretty large amount of movement. It'd have a pretty massive amount of wheelhop when launched. I'm sure it's little K20 was loving rocking back in forth on it's mounts.

OP
OP
gylmar814

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah... not strange necessarily... it's just the tone is different. I've heard it on other cars that are DI. Whether it's mechanical fuel pump or what, I couldn't tell you. It just sounds... I don't know... different.

You should have someone cycle it a few times for you and watch your motor w/your hood popped. I'll be home next week, but I'm sure if you took a vid of it, someone could post a vid for comparison. Could be a mount issue that'd be covered under warranty. My RSX didn't shake on shutdown but had a pretty large amount of movement. It'd have a pretty massive amount of wheelhop when launched. I'm sure it's little K20 was loving rocking back in forth on it's mounts.
If its what I think you are talking about, you are probably referring to the sound of the injectors... does it sound like a sewing machine? If so, thats the engine's direct injection. AS far as I know , that's normal. I know you already brought up the other sounds from DI engines, but thats about the only thing i hear thats "different"

As for the video, thats a good idea. Might just get my girl to shut it down for me at idle so I can observe the engine movement. I'm looking through the forums, seems some people already previously brought up the same topic and apparently it's "normal" Just not understanding why my previous hatch and my girl's coupe has no "shake" or "rattle" when it shuts down and Same 1.5T motor. :dunno:

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
I'm pretty sure I have this as well. Never really thought too much of it. Feels almost like a controlled stall.

Reuuk

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, '83 Datsun 280ZX
I can confirm that I notice this as well. I asked the dealer about it before I drove it off the lot and they were not concerned about it at all, they actually let me drive a touring shortly and I noticed in that model as well.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have an Si but my turbo engine does this as well. The shake is noticeable but still fairly minor.

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
I'm pretty sure I have this as well. Never really thought too much of it. Feels almost like a controlled stall.
I paid closer attention and I actually don't think I have this. The only time I notice any engine shake is if I let the clutch out as the car is turning off (in gear). The car takes a second longer than I feel like it should for the engine to shut off after pushing the start/stop button.

OP
OP
gylmar814

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I paid closer attention and I actually don't think I have this. The only time I notice any engine shake is if I let the clutch out as the car is turning off (in gear). The car takes a second longer than I feel like it should for the engine to shut off after pushing the start/stop button.
Yes that too. All my cars in the past have been manual except 1 And I feel the 10thgen Si in particular takes about an extra second or two to fully shut down.. I caught my self a few times when I shut off while in gear release the clutch pedal too soon and the car would stall out as it shuts down.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gylmar814

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Giving this "Windo Weld" mod a shot. Should stiffen up the engine movement upon startup/shut down and overall driving, will report back after a few days of curing. I couldn't believe how much play is in these 1.5 motors, when I took off the mount I could literally rock the engine back and forth with just my fingers. :eek:

Honda Civic 10th gen Engine shake upon shut down? 20180204_015411

Honda Civic 10th gen Engine shake upon shut down? 20180204_015432

Rickm1088

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
Giving this "Windo Weld" mod a shot. Should stiffen up the engine movement upon startup/shut down and overall driving, will report back after a few days of curing. I couldn't believe how much play is in these 1.5 motors, when I took off the mount I could literally rock the engine back and forth with just my fingers. :eek:

20180204_015411.jpg

20180204_015432.jpg
So did it help lol?

I'm asking bc I too have a Si now and noticed when I shut it off the car vibrates or shakes and it doesn't happen all the time just 80%

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
The shake is in part due to the heavy dual mass flywheel. I did not experience a major reduction in it when I installed a stiffer rear motor mount.

After installing a lighter single mass flywheel, the shake is almost entirely gone.

Overeazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch *Sold*
Country flag
It's normal just because if you let the clutch out too quickly it grabs the flywheel which is still spinning so it kinda feels like stalling. Either hold the clutch in for a few seconds after the shutting down or switch to neutral and it shouldn't happen.
Sponsored