Engine oil leaking HELP

Yuki17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Touring
Country flag
Hello guys, I have an oil leak on my civic 2016 turbo, as you can see here in this video I don’t know where is oil leak coming, I started to record the video behind the engine under the manifold.

I recorded by my self

and oil ends inthe rear motor mount
Honda Civic 10th gen Engine oil leaking HELP 28424C1E-2659-4658-8B2B-E4F97BBA3FE6
Honda Civic 10th gen Engine oil leaking HELP 5C2D5F3E-2CA4-4FBB-B759-C50EE787329A

There is no oil or any drop in the garage floor is only this oil coating in the engine.

beeje

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 civic exl 15 civic ex 18 chevy 3500 dually
Country flag
Hello guys, I have an oil leak on my civic 2016 turbo, as you can see here in this video I don’t know where is oil leak coming, I started to record the video behind the engine under the manifold.

I recorded by my self

28424C1E-2659-4658-8B2B-E4F97BBA3FE6.jpeg
5C2D5F3E-2CA4-4FBB-B759-C50EE787329A.jpeg

There is no oil or any drop in the garage floor is only this oil coating in the engine.
Just bought a 21 exl 1.5t and with 1k miles noticed oil in the same area. Cleaned it all up to see if it reappears.

TriangleHeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe (FC4, K20C2)
Country flag
That is an excessive amount of oil for it to pool like that and even reach the mount and saturate that whole area.

The leak looks like it's coming from above on the backside of the engine. If you're already going under the car, try looking up the backside and see if you can see where the leak is coming from. Since there are no power steering pumps or other sources of oil on the 10th gen, if it's coming from above on the back, either someone spilled oil during an oil change or it's the cover for the air/oil separator.

I would definitely hose all of the oil off with brake cleaner to clean it and prevent the oil destroying the mount, then watch the area over time to see where the leak forms.

Another remote possibility is a leak at the rear main seal which is that area you took a picture of, a 2016 is too recent for that to happen though. I have seen tiny amounts of seepage on recent year Civics but not enough to saturate the area like that.

OP
OP
Yuki17

Yuki17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Touring
Country flag
That is an excessive amount of oil for it to pool like that and even reach the mount and saturate that whole area.

The leak looks like it's coming from above on the backside of the engine. If you're already going under the car, try looking up the backside and see if you can see where the leak is coming from. Since there are no power steering pumps or other sources of oil on the 10th gen, if it's coming from above on the back, either someone spilled oil during an oil change or it's the cover for the air/oil separator.

I would definitely hose all of the oil off with brake cleaner to clean it and prevent the oil destroying the mount, then watch the area over time to see where the leak forms.

Another remote possibility is a leak at the rear main seal which is that area you took a picture of, a 2016 is too recent for that to happen though. I have seen tiny amounts of seepage on recent year Civics but not enough to saturate the area like that.
can i use engine cleaner (Degreaser) for clean it??

TriangleHeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe (FC4, K20C2)
Country flag
can i use engine cleaner (Degreaser) for clean it??
If you're talking about water-based stuff like simple green, purple power, stuff that comes in a can called "Engine Degreaser" or anything that must be rinsed off with water, the answer is technically "yes". I would not for the following reasons:
1. Water-based degreasers need need to dwell on the surface and requires agitation with a brush to remove all of the oil. For an area with lots of nooks and being under the car, this is usually impractical.
2. Degreasers need to be rinsed off very well or they leave chalky deposits behind.
3. Degreasers dwelling too long causes corrosion of aluminum. I've soaked aluminum parts in degreaser and they came out permanently dark gray. Google it, there is lots of information on this subject of people hosing their aluminum engine down with simple green and ruining them permanently.

Brake cleaner on the other hand dissolves oil instantly on contact without agitation, does nothing to metal and evaporates quickly due to volatility, leaving no residue at all. The cans usually spray at high pressure too which is useful to quickly blow away or sweep the area you want to clean.

The only things you have to watch for when spraying brake cleaner:
1. Don't spray it on a hot surface (the engine and CVT must be cool). If the surface is hot, chlorinated brake cleaner will result in toxic gas that will destroy your lungs permanently.
2. Don't get it on painted metal or clear plastics those will start to dissolve with brake cleaner. For the Civic specifically avoid the powder coat on the painted subframe or it will lightly stain it (which you can fix by rubbing some WD-40, light oil or wax with a towel).
3. Everything else like bare aluminum, rubber and the plastic intake manifold are fair game.
4. Put a tray of some kind under where you're spraying. The oil + brake cleaner mix is going to drip to the ground. Once the brake cleaner evaporates you're going to be left with a giant oil stain.

Any time there's an oil or grease leak on a small area with nooks, I use brake cleaner. I only use degreasers when the area is large (like an entire engine bay) and not oily (just dusty or dirty) where I intend to hose the whole thing down with large amounts of water.

Last edited:

Metalslug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback ex
Country flag

I recorded by my self

28424C1E-2659-4658-8B2B-E4F97BBA3FE6.jpeg
5C2D5F3E-2CA4-4FBB-B759-C50EE787329A.jpeg

Did you find the cause? I have same leak.

briq4

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Know it's been a while but any word on what this is/was?

SplinterC3ll

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Plus 2017
Country flag
did anyone find what is this ? I have a identical leak, warranty have removed oil pan and replaced the sealant, like a red glue, it did not work, I have the rear engine mount with oil from above again.
Sponsored