Engine not returning to Idle when rolling in neutral?

wmayhue

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Has anyone else experienced a problem where the vehicle does not return to a normal idle while rolling out of gear?
Just in the last few days, when I push in the clutch (Like slowing to a stop) and/or take the car out of gear, instead of returning to the normal ~700rpm, the engine stays at 1100-1200, and slowly increases rpm to about 1900, then drops back down to 1100 and repeats? Its almost like 'breathing' is the best way to describe it.

The odd part is, when the vehicle is not rolling, it returns to a perfect 700rpm idle.

Some information that may be relevant: I did allow the vehicle to warm up before driving, so the idle was around 700 before starting to drive. Ambient temperatures have been upper 30's and extremely wet and rainy these past few days.

I'm K-tuned on the base map, with the PRL Race MAF scaling option for the Cobra with Race MAF. Otherwise the car is bone stock, and I made no changes to the tune itself.

Haven't had a chance to drive around with my laptop and get some datalogging yet, as I have the Ktuner V1.2, but using the android app I checked my fuel trims, which are perfectly normal, and my knock control doesn't stray from .49 as I'm running 93 octane.

Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting, or a specific parameter in the datalogging that would give away a mechanical or a tuning issue? Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored

Anjuna

First Name
Mal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Sedan
Country flag
My best guess is that your MAF is off. When you're rolling, air is still pushing its way into the combustion chamber, which will push you're revs up and down. That's the only thing that I can think to explain the rolling revs vs the idle revs.

Otherwise I'd say maybe something is off with the clutch.

Tpancakes20

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si 2016 civic lx 2.0
Country flag
Sounds like a similar issue to me I noticed it only happens if I touch the gas and try to move the revs surge like crazy between 800 to about 1500 then settles after a few times. also when I am moving the throttle seems way to sensitive unnaturally sensitive like when It touch it in gear it jerks the car hard not smooth at all.

OP
OP
wmayhue

wmayhue

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds like a similar issue to me I noticed it only happens if I touch the gas and try to move the revs surge like crazy between 800 to about 1500 then settles after a few times. also when I am moving the throttle seems way to sensitive unnaturally sensitive like when It touch it in gear it jerks the car hard not smooth at all.
Have you had any battery issues with your vehicle? Mine was plagued with a weak battery. I believe the engine is actually attempting to hold itself at higher RPMs to charge the battery. Built into the programming, similarly to how you have a high idle to warm the engine on a cold start.
Replaced my battery under warranty, immediately the issue was gone.

Tpancakes20

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Have you had any battery issues with your vehicle? Mine was plagued with a weak battery. I believe the engine is actually attempting to hold itself at higher RPMs to charge the battery. Built into the programming, similarly to how you have a high idle to warm the engine on a cold start.
Replaced my battery under warranty, immediately the issue was gone.
Maybe I crossed the terminals once by accident and blew a fuse but that being the only case. It runs fine on the +6psi tune but +9psi it gets funny.

OP
OP
wmayhue

wmayhue

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe I crossed the terminals once by accident and blew a fuse but that being the only case. It runs fine on the +6psi tune but +9psi it gets funny.
What modifications are you running? If they're all different then I would assume it could happen to a stock vehicle as well..

Tpancakes20

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What modifications are you running? If they're all different then I would assume it could happen to a stock vehicle as well..
27won cai and map catback is it I'm going to get some mass airflow cleaner and try that. I was cataloguing this morning and noticed off throttle and when ever revs drop the afr rockets to 26 to 29:1 and thats why the engine surges I think its trying to compensate.

OP
OP
wmayhue

wmayhue

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
27won cai and map catback is it I'm going to get some mass airflow cleaner and try that. I was cataloguing this morning and noticed off throttle and when ever revs drop the afr rockets to 26 to 29:1 and thats why the engine surges I think its trying to compensate.
That's interesting I'm only running the PRL race MAF housing with a Ktuner. I did some datalogging and didn't notice any changes in my AFR during the surges. After my issue went away I wrote it off as a battery issue considering all my logs looked normal

Tpancakes20

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's interesting I'm only running the PRL race MAF housing with a Ktuner. I did some datalogging and didn't notice any changes in my AFR during the surges. After my issue went away I wrote it off as a battery issue considering all my logs looked normal
Thinking its a vacuum leak as I watch my boost gauge it doesnt want to drop back down to -10 when I take it out of gear and even in gear off throttle its reading -5,-6,-7. Which isn't normal I believe

SperryCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Has anyone else experienced a problem where the vehicle does not return to a normal idle while rolling out of gear?
Just in the last few days, when I push in the clutch (Like slowing to a stop) and/or take the car out of gear, instead of returning to the normal ~700rpm, the engine stays at 1100-1200, and slowly increases rpm to about 1900, then drops back down to 1100 and repeats? Its almost like 'breathing' is the best way to describe it.

The odd part is, when the vehicle is not rolling, it returns to a perfect 700rpm idle.

Some information that may be relevant: I did allow the vehicle to warm up before driving, so the idle was around 700 before starting to drive. Ambient temperatures have been upper 30's and extremely wet and rainy these past few days.

I'm K-tuned on the base map, with the PRL Race MAF scaling option for the Cobra with Race MAF. Otherwise the car is bone stock, and I made no changes to the tune itself.

Haven't had a chance to drive around with my laptop and get some datalogging yet, as I have the Ktuner V1.2, but using the android app I checked my fuel trims, which are perfectly normal, and my knock control doesn't stray from .49 as I'm running 93 octane.

Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting, or a specific parameter in the datalogging that would give away a mechanical or a tuning issue? Any advice is appreciated.
I had this exact same issue when I first used the Hondata flash pro. What was causing it was the throttle sensitivity. I tinkered with it in stage 1 and 2 and it did this exact phenomenon you’re talking about. When I set it back to default it stopped. To check I set it back to stage 1 and it did it again. So I left it on default. Check your throttle sensitivity settings.

USNengineman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Chevy Colorado z71
Country flag
off throttle AFR goes to 29.1 if youre in gear. if you put it in neutral and coast your AFR should start at around 12.x and after a few seconds go up to targeted 14.7 and bounce closely around that.
so off throttle dont be scared of the 29.1

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I had this exact same issue when I first used the Hondata flash pro. What was causing it was the throttle sensitivity. I tinkered with it in stage 1 and 2 and it did this exact phenomenon you’re talking about. When I set it back to default it stopped. To check I set it back to stage 1 and it did it again. So I left it on default. Check your throttle sensitivity settings.
Having this issue right now. Might try this. Were you able to mess with throttle response without an issue since it seems to be tired to sens?

OP
OP
wmayhue

wmayhue

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Having this issue right now. Might try this. Were you able to mess with throttle response without an issue since it seems to be tired to sens?
Please let us know of your results. What's interesting is I had this issue with a Ktuner basemap but the issue resolved without adjusting throttle settings. I suspected it was battery related as that was my issue at the time

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Please let us know of your results. What's interesting is I had this issue with a Ktuner basemap but the issue resolved without adjusting throttle settings. I suspected it was battery related as that was my issue at the time
I’m going to try leaving throttle sens alone and only move response up to 1 to see if that works. I’ll update and tag you if you’d like.

SperryCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Yes. Response was not an issue for me. Just sensitivity. I left my response at 1
Sponsored