ENGINE NOISE

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I think I’ll replace the tensioner bearing to start since it’s the cheapest and see if there’s a change.
One of those long car stethoscopes will help pinpoint the sound without having to play the guessing game.

OP
OP

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
One of those long car stethoscopes will help pinpoint the sound without having to play the guessing game.
Did that for about 10 minutes yesterday and couldn’t get it anywhere. Can’t touch the pulleys with that thing without doing harm.

OP
OP

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Anyone know the difference between the two? Honda Dealership can’t tell me.
Honda Civic 10th gen ENGINE NOISE 96BD04E0-26ED-480D-ACDA-845FFAB53E95

I have them search by the VIN and both part numbers pop up for the same tensioner pulley.

OP
OP

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Who knows, must be a manufacturing thing. But it seems like either one will fit. Go for the cheaper one! LOL
That’s exactly what I did. American Honda was only able to tell me that the cheaper one is purchased more often. Other than that they have no clue.

OP
OP

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Replaced the tensioner pulley and still have the noise. No change. Took off the belt and the noise is there as well but very slight.

OP
OP

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Without the serpentine belt installed it is still very slight in a buzzing noise.

OP
OP

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
With the wheel off are you able to use the stethoscope? Especially if the serpentine belt is off?
I did and I checked so many places but it’s like the noise is coming from the crank case. So hard to tell for some reason. I just changed the oil and out came 5.4 quarts. Filled up 3.7 and the dipstick shows perfect topped off level. I am so confused.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I did and I checked so many places but it’s like the noise is coming from the crank case. So hard to tell for some reason. I just changed the oil and out came 5.4 quarts. Filled up 3.7 and the dipstick shows perfect topped off level. I am so confused.
I hate to point out the obvious, but if the sound occurs without the belt, and it is coming from the crankcase, then it could be a crankshaft bearing. I hope I am wrong of course.

OP
OP

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I hate to point out the obvious, but if the sound occurs without the belt, and it is coming from the crankcase, then it could be a crankshaft bearing. I hope I am wrong of course.
I think you are correct. Going in on Wednesday to the dealership to be sure.

fc1matt

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Hey I am having the same sound as you around the tensioner area. Did you end up finding what was the problem?
Sponsored