Engine noise when applying heavy throttle in +R mode (in the cabin)?

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Hey guys,

I just want to make sure my CTR is not doing anything weird (probably just paranoia).

When I put the car in +R mode, the noise inside the car gets a little more aggressive / deep (and there is also some more vibration too) when I really hammer down on the throttle in 1st or 2nd gear around 3-4K RPM (usually at 70%+ throttle). Then beyond 4K RPM, the deeper noise goes away and goes back to regular engine noise.

I sometimes notice this in Sport mode when the temps are a bit cooler out too.

My guess is that the engine is just hitting the "torque-ier" part of the power curve and on cooler days the engine is just making more torque, and that is what I am hearing.

In comfort mode, I almost never hear this more aggressive tone.

Is this normal for the car? I assume it is but wanted to check with everyone else's experience. I also haven't ridden in anyone else's Type R either.

Thanks!
Sponsored

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
Good question, I guess I should try putting it in Comfort mode and see what happens on launch. The R+ mode is the most aggressive so what you describe makes sense and I get quite a bit of vibration in the lower power band when I get on it.

OP
OP

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Good question, I guess I should try putting it in Comfort mode and see what happens on launch. The R+ mode is the most aggressive so what you describe makes sense and I get quite a bit of vibration in the lower power band when I get on it.
Do you get that same level of vibration when you have it in Sport or Comfort mode? Again, its probably nothing to worry about but just want to hear other owners' experiences. Thanks for the input.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
I only put it in comfort mode when I am cruising on the highway at 70+. I've never launched the car or run through the gears in it. I will try it on the way home tonight.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Here is my guess: For a given throttle position (short of 100%), R mode is going to have the throttle plate more open than comfort mode, which is likely what is causing the deep engine noise you are describing. Once you get over 4k rpms, other noises (suction, exhaust, etc.) are covering the open throttle engine sound and the frequency of the engine sound is high enough that it no longer deep.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
+R is definitely louder and more visceral than Comfort when taking off and rolling through the gears. Comfort has a bit of a "dip" or lag in the powerband it feels like, and +R feels a lot stronger in that spot. There is a difference for sure.
Sponsored