Engine knock when turning engine off

BallisticSquid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback, 2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I just got a 2020 Si Sedan last week and I'm absolutely loving this car. Something I noticed that is a bit concerning to me is when I turn the engine off, it makes what I'd call a knocking sound just before the engine completely stops. I don't hear anything like this will driving.

Is this normal? When I get my plates in a week or so I'll bring it up at the dealer but I figured I'd bring it up here in the meantime.

Here's the obligatory picture...who doesn't love car pictures!?!? :)

Honda Civic 10th gen Engine knock when turning engine off 20201003_175638
Sponsored

olesaintnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Congrats on the new car! Looks great in that red with the black wheels :love:

no need to worry about that noise — it is totally normal:thumbsup:

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Normal, your also gonna notice a loud ticking noise when the motor is on and you have the hood open. That is also normal.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
These cars make some interesting noises for sure. I get a slight "squeak" when I turn the car off, and others have confirmed the same noise as well. I haven't experienced a knocking sound but I could just be used to it as this is my second 10th gen and I've driven well over 100k so I think I'm used to a lot of the quirks with the car.

OP
OP
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks everybody! I thought it was probably normal, but I thought if anybody would know if it wasn't, it would be this crowd here! :)

Congrats on the new car! Looks great in that red with the black wheels :love:

no need to worry about that noise — it is totally normal:thumbsup:
Thanks! It honestly took me some time to get used to the color. I wanted a white one but they had been sold just a couple of days prior. I'm not a red car kinda guy, but I have to agree that this car looks super sharp in this color. The contrast of the black and red is really nice.

My wife and kids were relieved when I couldn't get it in white and got red...the red one was their favorite from the start LOL.

I'm still in awe of what this car delivers at this price point. The challenge now is to avoid getting speeding tickets!

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks everybody! I thought it was probably normal, but I thought if anybody would know if it wasn't, it would be this crowd here! :)

Thanks! It honestly took me some time to get used to the color. I wanted a white one but they had been sold just a couple of days prior. I'm not a red car kinda guy, but I have to agree that this car looks super sharp in this color. The contrast of the black and red is really nice.

My wife and kids were relieved when I couldn't get it in white and got red...the red one was their favorite from the start LOL.

I'm still in awe of what this car delivers at this price point. The challenge now is to avoid getting speeding tickets!

If you tune, and especially if you tune and add some bolt ons, GOOD LUCK.

And yes, definitely tune. It is night and day even on the base model. My friend has Si Sedan with TSP stage 1, intake, catless DP, FP and exhaust and wow it is amazing

olesaintnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Yeah in my opinion, the Si is unmatched in this price range. At ~25k for a great gearbox, limited slip differential, driving modes with adaptive dampers, comfortable performance seats, great gas mileage, and a wonderful turbocharged engine it’s amazing they can afford to sell them at such a low price! It’s also amazing I haven’t gotten a speeding ticket yet lol

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag

I went through the same thing. Really liked the white and was 95% sure that's what I was going with. My wife saw a red CTR in the area and really liked the look. Closest dealer had a new red Si in stock, so I figured I should at least go check it out. Loved the color in person drove away with it. So happy I went w/ the red. Not enough colorful cars on the road.

OP
OP
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I went through the same thing. Really liked the white and was 95% sure that's what I was going with. My wife saw a red CTR in the area and really liked the look. Closest dealer had a new red Si in stock, so I figured I should at least go check it out. Loved the color in person drove away with it. So happy I went w/ the red. Not enough colorful cars on the road.
When we were riding around we were noticing how many white cars were on the road and there were a ton of them. Very few red ones. Interesting how trends change.

A couple of years ago when I got my 2019 hatch (which is dark grey) the dealer had a red CTR on the lot and my son was drooling over it. He nagged me since that I should have gotten a red one!

Funny how things work out...I'm glad I got red also.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 Si and I also noticed that the car shakes noticeably for a split second right before the motor turns off.
I got the shakes too. :cool: Annoying but somewhat normal for this engine (flywheel related).
Sponsored