Engine idle ...

mugenx78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Every morning I start my car when I warm it up it seems to slowly go down which is normal. The issue I am having is that the idle is not consistent when warm. The idle seems to be moving up and down from 650-750 rpms. Is this normal? I can feel the engine shake between rpms. I have a 1.5T with 800miles.
Sponsored

Ash2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC 2016 Touring
Every morning I start my car when I warm it up it seems to slowly go down which is normal. The issue I am having is that the idle is not consistent when warm. The idle seems to be moving up and down from 650-750 rpms. Is this normal? I can feel the engine shake between rpms. I have a 1.5T with 800miles.
I have it when the car is at ambient temperature and if it's idling with no climate control and headlights on. I went to the dealer and they said it is supposed to be like that.

Max_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 16
Hi Ash 2016
Thanks for mentioning this, I was worried something is wrong with my car. Since I turned off the climate my car was shaking and rattling, specially the passenger seat!
I just turned the head light on and off and the shaking went away then came back. Turned the climate on didn't help right away but when I turn the AC on and off for a second then left the climate on the problem went away too.
Not sure if you found a permanent solution for this?! I don't think it suppose to be like that despite what your dealer told you.

Ash2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC 2016 Touring
Hi Ash 2016
Thanks for mentioning this, I was worried something is wrong with my car. Since I turned off the climate my car was shaking and rattling, specially the passenger seat!
I just turned the head light on and off and the shaking went away then came back. Turned the climate on didn't help right away but when I turn the AC on and off for a second then left the climate on the problem went away too.
Not sure if you found a permanent solution for this?! I don't think it suppose to be like that despite what your dealer told you.
Hi.
When I asked my dealer he said its the low RPM which makes it rattle and thats how Honda set the Rpm. He showed me few other cars in the lot and they had the same rattling. So nothing we can do as Honda set the RPM LOW close to 650. But I am convinced as I checked 3 other cars in the lot with same rattle. Hope that helps.... thanks

Max_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 16
Hi.
When I asked my dealer he said its the low RPM which makes it rattle and thats how Honda set the Rpm. He showed me few other cars in the lot and they had the same rattling. So nothing we can do as Honda set the RPM LOW close to 650. But I am convinced as I checked 3 other cars in the lot with same rattle. Hope that helps.... thanks
I will ask the dealer and might try one of thier cars when I go for oil change next month.
I just wonder if this problem would hid any possible loosening and rattling in the car and prevent me from noticing it if happened, specially the passenger seat and door.

Thanks very much.

TSV31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic MY 2020 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus 6MT
Country flag
Mine does the same, 1.5t my 2020 european model. But this is strange because I have owned several Hondas and none of them had this behaviour at idle, the others were perfectly firm at idle.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can easily tell none of you have ever driven an old carbureted V8 powered car.
Those would spit, fart, stall out and still be considered smooth idling vehicles.
Oh how expectations change.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Honda sets idle so low to improve mpgs at the cost of a shaky idle. The nice thing about a tuning device like a KTuner or Flashpro is it let's you raise the idle speed to smooth things out.

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
I reduced the low RPM vibration by installing Yamaha Performance Dampers designed for the FRS/BRZ. Made my FK7 feel better than stock with the Perrin Rear Motor Mount Insert. Didn’t modify the ECU.

TSV31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When I will remap the car I will ask the guy to rise the minimum rpm to 800 or 850 rpm. And remove the rev hang because it is annoying.

TSV31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't have to drive and old v8 because I have driven 7 hondas and they were perfectly firm at idle. So why do not ask the same for this new engines wich are supposed to be an upgrade from the past? Is a lecit question I think
Can easily tell none of you have ever driven an old carbureted V8 powered car.
Those would spit, fart, stall out and still be considered smooth idling vehicles.
Oh how expectations change.
Sponsored