m1lk

First Name
Brooke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatch
Country flag
Not really sure how this one happened, but after a horrifying sound on the freeway, I pulled over and saw my engine cover dangling off. Limped it home and when trying to get up my driveway it pulled off completely.

Honda quoted me at $480 to fix it, or to "bang it straight" for free. Since that an ungodly amount for a piece of aluminum, I am looking for the actual part and just doing it myself.

Any suggestions on best place to get it? I dont need the plastic cover, only the aluminum bit.

Honda Civic 10th gen Engine cover fell off while driving - need to replace IMG_1640

Honda Civic 10th gen Engine cover fell off while driving - need to replace IMG_1645

Honda Civic 10th gen Engine cover fell off while driving - need to replace IMG_1642

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
Who did your last oil change? This happens when this tray is replaced incorrectly. The front lip of the metal tray needs to be above the plastic, because the threaded section is actually in the metal. Then the screw goes through the plastic, into the metal threaded section holding it secure. You can see in the first photo that one of the front retaining screws is still in place in the metal panel, and since it looks like the plastic hole is intact it's very clear it was incorrectly installed. If the dealer did the oil change, I would point this out to them and make them foot the bill for the replacement.

OP
OP
m1lk

m1lk

First Name
Brooke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatch
Country flag
Who did your last oil change? This happens when this tray is replaced incorrectly. The front lip of the metal tray needs to be above the plastic, because the threaded section is actually in the metal. Then the screw goes through the plastic, into the metal threaded section holding it secure. You can see in the first photo that one of the front retaining screws is still in place in the metal panel, and since it looks like the plastic hole is intact it's very clear it was incorrectly installed. If the dealer did the oil change, I would point this out to them and make them foot the bill for the replacement.
I recently had my windshield fluid reservoir replaced due to a crack in it, but Honda claims they didnt touch the cover. They did a "full inspection" of the car to see if there was any other damage besides the reservoir but I guess they missed this :rolleyes: Either way, they said they didnt touch it and my warranty wont cover it. Not sure who did the last oil change though unfortunately

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Personally I'd just bang it straight as best I could then throw it back on, if you don't want to pay $480 there is an aftermarket tray somewhere (i forgot the name) that's cheaper and more durable - also easy access to oil changes

OP
OP
m1lk

m1lk

First Name
Brooke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatch
Country flag
Personally I'd just bang it straight as best I could then throw it back on, if you don't want to pay $480 there is an aftermarket tray somewhere (i forgot the name) that's cheaper and more durable - also easy access to oil changes
Yeah Id be interested in getting an aftermarket one -- not looking to pay $480 but def willing to get something new

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah Id be interested in getting an aftermarket one -- not looking to pay $480 but def willing to get something new
yeah I see him post on the fb groups, if i recall correctly i think it was $250-$300, maybe less. Tried to google to find it but no luck, maybe someone here will know and chime in

techguy124

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic hatchback EX
Country flag
About $50 part number is (74114-tgh-a00) go to Honda parts online and put that in it should give you what you need. Make sure you buy some of the screws too.

OP
OP
m1lk

m1lk

First Name
Brooke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatch
Country flag
About $50 part number is (74114-tgh-a00) go to Honda parts online and put that in it should give you what you need. Make sure you buy some of the screws too.
Thanks! Dumb question -- it says it will only fit a Type R -- is that true?

techguy124

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks! Dumb question -- it says it will only fit a Type R -- is that true?
Damn I'm sorry I didn't notice that. It looks like it won't I just saw fits 2017-2020 civic and it looks just like mine so I assumed it would fit. Is your car a manual?

OP
OP
m1lk

m1lk

First Name
Brooke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatch
Country flag
Damn I'm sorry I didn't notice that. It looks like it won't I just saw fits 2017-2020 civic and it looks just like mine so I assumed it would fit. Is your car a manual?
Its not, but I found another thread where someone said this fit their car. I bought it and will cross my fingers!

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice find. From what I understand this part has not always been available separately.

techguy124

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Its not, but I found another thread where someone said this fit their car. I bought it and will cross my fingers!
I think it will. It looks identical to mine and I have a 2018 Hatch ex. Best of luck I hope it works!

OP
OP
m1lk

m1lk

First Name
Brooke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatch
Country flag
I think it will. It looks identical to mine and I have a 2018 Hatch ex. Best of luck I hope it works!
Perfect -- I doubt one year will make much of a difference for this kind of part. Thanks for your help!

Dirt

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 6-Spd Manual
Don't get the same thing. This will happen again since it's such a thin sheet of aluminum for a skid plate. I replaced mine with a thicker piece offered by badannlv . Search it on instagram if you feel like paying a little extra. I've had mine on for over a year and my car is dropped on Tein Flex Z coilovers. I don't have anything to worry about.

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
Don't get the same thing. This will happen again since it's such a thin sheet of aluminum for a skid plate. I replaced mine with a thicker piece offered by badannlv . Search it on instagram if you feel like paying a little extra. I've had mine on for over a year and my car is dropped on Tein Flex Z coilovers. I don't have anything to worry about.
While I don't disagree with going the upgrade route, this was caused by incorrect installation and not due to the thickness of the panel. With the heavier panel, if it's installed incorrectly I expect the same, if not worse result. Instead of just a crumpled lower cover, it could end up with much more damage. Just something to consider.
Sponsored