SirVicksDeep

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
About a week ago my roommate took my SI for a quick trip to the store. He said all the lights came on on the trip back. We both went out and started the car and nothing. Today on a trip to Home Depot it happened again. I recorded a video of it happening and turned off the engine and went in the store. When I started the car once again no lights. I contacted the local Honda dealer and they said, "if it doesn't have any warning lights there is nothing they can do. It wasn't anything serious and it cleared itself out. "

My question is, has this happened to anyone else and what should I do? It's a 2019 SI, fully factory with less than 20k miles.
Sponsored

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
BS on the dealership. Codes will be stored even if the indicator lights go out. So long as battery power is not pulled or they are cleared by an OBD2 scanner or tune. Take it in as a precaution.

NikkoPH

First Name
Nikko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2016 Honda Pilot Touring
Country flag
Backfire is a result of running a rich air fuel ratio, try looking for any disconnected o2 sensor or maf sensor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SirVicksDeep

SirVicksDeep

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
BS on the dealership. Codes will be stored even if the indicator lights go out. So long as battery power is not pulled or they are cleared by an OBD2 scanner or tune. Take it in as a precaution.
My neighbor owns a shop with and has a pro scan tool and he's going to check it out when he gets home. I was pretty sure that there was a history on the ecu that can be looked at.

OP
OP
SirVicksDeep

SirVicksDeep

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
Backfire is a result of running a rich air fuel ration, try looking for any disconnected o2 sensor or maf sensor.
About 2 weeks ago I relocated from Charleston SC to Pittsburgh for work. I'm only going to be here for a few months. As far as fuel goes premium in SC is 93 and around here most places have 91 its hard to find 93.

NikkoPH

First Name
Nikko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2016 Honda Pilot Touring
Country flag
About 2 weeks ago I relocated from Charleston SC to Pittsburgh for work. I'm only going to be here for a few months. As far as fuel goes premium in SC is 93 and around here most places have 91 its hard to find 93.
Not really concerned about the quality of the fuel, i am thinking its due to a disconnected MAF or O2 Sensor. Goodluck!

Fathomless

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI / 2018 Honda Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I had something very similar happen on my Civic si 2018.

After three visits to dealership their tech told me that the turbo electrical wiring was pinched from the factory. This caused all kinds of ecu errors and what not. Second time there they played with it and thought they fixed it. Third time they replaced the whole thing.

Haven't had a problem since (well that wasn't tuning related lol).

Edit: replaced as in the wiring and harness not the entire turbo.

OP
OP
SirVicksDeep

SirVicksDeep

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
So I had something very similar happen on my Civic si 2018.

After three visits to dealership their tech told me that the turbo electrical wiring was pinched from the factory. This caused all kinds of ecu errors and what not. Second time there they played with it and thought they fixed it. Third time they replaced the whole thing.

Haven't had a problem since (well that wasn't tuning related lol).

Edit: replaced as in the wiring and harness not the entire turbo.

Do you know if there was any engine or ECU code for that?

OP
OP
SirVicksDeep

SirVicksDeep

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
Update: It did it again and again last night. Still no codes left behind for a lingering light but was about a quart low on oil. The last oil change was about 2k miles ago.

Additionally the vacuum cleaner exhaust tip is covered with a black gunk. Im thinking its most likely its something to do with the timing of combustion or the catalytic converter. Although there isn't smoke coming out you can definitely smell an oil/fuel mix in the exhaust.

Spiff44

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
You could check your plugs.. that'll at least tell you if its a system wide issue or something specific to a single cylinder.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
That's because it's happening to lot of them in other variants like ex and sport. Some one posted youtube video and confirmed there's minor rust causing the valve plate to stuck in open position causing all codes to trip.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Update: It did it again and again last night. Still no codes left behind for a lingering light but was about a quart low on oil. The last oil change was about 2k miles ago.

Additionally the vacuum cleaner exhaust tip is covered with a black gunk. Im thinking its most likely its something to do with the timing of combustion or the catalytic converter. Although there isn't smoke coming out you can definitely smell an oil/fuel mix in the exhaust.
GDI engines can give some black gunk on the exhaust. Check your spark plugs and also PCV as the oil shouldn't be consumed in engine with that low mileage unless you filled it with less than required oil
Sponsored