Gr90

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
I emptied out my Radium PCV Catch Can today after 2100 miles. It caught an ounce (measuring spoon used) of mostly oil vapor, with some fuel vapor and condensation as well. Radium CCV can was dry.

Car is driven 90% stop and go city and gets roughly a pull a day. Also during the 2100 miles were 2 autox events and a 2 hour high rpm back road cruise. Car details are below, just thought it would be an interesting data point for everyone!

Car Mileage: 5100
Oil: 0W-20 Mobil 1 EP
Fuel: 93 Octane E10
Mods: Intake, catted DP, intercooler, tune

Honda Civic 10th gen Emptied my Radium PCV Catch Can Today ucAYTdh

Honda Civic 10th gen Emptied my Radium PCV Catch Can Today 9HNPAos

19typer

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
they pvc one definately works. Not sure why people are against them. You want to keep the intake track as clean as possible

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You may want to consider adding a drain valve as opposed to unscrewing the can each time.

Reason is, may develop a leak over time. Mine did and Radium had to send a replacement.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
Your driving style OP will create some content in the catch can.
If you mostly drive highway as ive learned with all my past GDI engines is it will most likely be empty or next to nothing. Stop and go is rough and will give you quite a bit. Try to mix in more highway driving for a good clip to keep it low longer.

My two pennies.

OP
OP

Gr90

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
You may want to consider adding a drain valve as opposed to unscrewing the can each time.

Reason is, may develop a leak over time. Mine did and Radium had to send a replacement.
Thanks for the heads up! I will do that since I remove them a lot.

OP
OP

Gr90

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Your driving style OP will create some content in the catch can.
If you mostly drive highway as ive learned with all my past GDI engines is it will most likely be empty or next to nothing. Stop and go is rough and will give you quite a bit. Try to mix in more highway driving for a good clip to keep it low longer.

My two pennies.
Agreed, that is my experience as well. Also switching to Redline or Amsoil would most likely help some as well. I'll mess around with oil next season though.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve caught a decent amount of oil in the PCV can under “normal” driving. I drive easy and don’t usually gun it on the street.

Conversely, caught nothing for the longest time in the CCV can. But finally started catching oil after track outings.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Gr90

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
I’ve caught a decent amount of oil in the PCV can under “normal” driving. I drive easy and don’t usually gun it.

Conversely, caught nothing for the longest time in the CCV can. But finally started catching oil after track outings.
Your thread is what talked me into getting the CCV can since I plan to track the car next year. I also dabble in autox. Really surprised with how much the PCV can catches!

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lol at first I thought the Radium CCV can was a scam, as it caught nothing and the routing suggests it may not…

But was surprised(and glad) to see that it does under hard driving.

Last edited:

REC13

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1999 Integra gsr, 2014 Mustang GT
Country flag
Thanks for posting this. With all the back and forth on catch cans for these cars, I'm glad to see you catching junk in your can. I'm also glad ordering my PCV can was not a waste of money.

SHIFTT_IX_MR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 WW EVO 9 MR 548AWHP @ 30psi w/ E85; 2018 CBP Civic Type R #21151 - DD
Country flag

What part leaked? How did you know it was leaking? Did you grease the threads and oil ring(s)?
I have been wondering if the PCV can cause a boost/vacuum leak. My idle vacuum is at -10 w/o AC off. and-8 to -9 with A/C on.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
i see several pipes from the crankcase/valve cover into the intake seems more than 2 paths to the intake for oil/gook.
There is juast as much oil / water vapor in the top of the valve cover as the crankcase, they are the same airspace after all.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The leak on the PCV can was found when performing a routine boost leak test. It was on the can where the O-ring seals if I recall correctly. I’ve since added the petcock drain valve so not to disturb the can by unscrewing it. Please see posts 415, 423 and 439 below for the complete write up of what happened :)

And here is a step by step of performing a boost leak check if needed:

What part leaked? How did you know it was leaking? Did you grease the threads and oil ring(s)?
I have been wondering if the PCV can cause a boost/vacuum leak. My idle vacuum is at -10 w/o AC off. and-8 to -9 with A/C on.

SHIFTT_IX_MR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 WW EVO 9 MR 548AWHP @ 30psi w/ E85; 2018 CBP Civic Type R #21151 - DD
Country flag
The leak on the PCV can was found when performing a routine boost leak test. It was on the can where the O-ring seals if I recall correctly. I’ve since added the petcock drain valve so not to disturb the can by unscrewing it. Please see posts 415, 423 and 439 below for the complete write up of what happened :)

And here is a step by step of performing a boost leak check if needed:
So in thoery, and to save some time, i could also apply the leak test on the can alone, and i should be able to see if the "can" can hold boost, right? I routinely do boost leak tests on my EVO so i am aware of the process, although it's much easier to do on my EVO. Was there any sign that the can was leaking or you were losing boost? I mean what made you do the boost leak test, with the exceotion that you wanted to make sure you didn't have any leaks? What is your vacuum at idle with a/c off?

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes that would be correct if able to bottle the pressure up… however a full boost leak check is helpful in case there are any other leaks… especially if the intercooler has been replaced.

The symptom that suggested a small boost leak was the idle would bounce between 800-1100 rpm.
Sponsored