Emission Time! Need help to pass.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thing is though, he'll need to drive for a while to get things in a ready state for the emissions test.
Yeah... I dont know I'd feel pretty uneasy doing it. But I do feel if you stayed out of boost or very very low boost you could just cruise a subdivision to get the system ready. It's AN idea...but playing with emissions tests is always a gamble.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
put it back to stock. Smog inspections also include visual inspections, it's very easy to see a defouler or downpipe and fail the car for the visual alone.

OP
OP
MetalKnightCivicHB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I will update when I pass the test and what I did. Here are my options.
(
put it back to stock. Smog inspections also include visual inspections, it's very easy to see a defouler or downpipe and fail the car for the visual alone.
My state doesn't that kind of inspection.
All i know is that they plug in to the obd port.
My sensors being turned off is my only concern.

Right now Im gonna flash to a basemap and turn off my boost. And see if that will work.

Plan B: install my aftermarket catted downpipe and a basemap.

Plan C: stock downpipe and base map

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I think C is your best bet. I passed in Maryland (OBD-II test only) with a TSP tune.

TSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went to get an inspection in MA earlier this year with a Catless downpipe and one of the techs told me I would get flagged and would have to get it inspected by the police or so. He scanned my car before fully running the full test and they can see that certain monitors weren’t “ready” so from there why would a newish car have monitors not ready, boom flagged lol, before I got it inspected I changed to the stock downpipe and flashed back to stock and made sure the monitors were ready, driving about 100-200 miles. The way you can tell is when you turn the car onto accessory mode, watch your check engine light, if it flashes 5 times it’s NOT READY if it flashes once ITS READY and your good to get it inspected.

ian408

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type R Sonic
Country flag
This probably isn't the right place for this but I thought you'd get a kick out of the latest edition of Fifth Gear. Two of the show's hosts go to South Korea to see why the Koreans have come so far in so little time building cars. They even went to talk with a tuner who does a lot of Velosters. Turns out there are a lot of tuned cars in Korea and although most of the parts come from the US or JPN, they are also working on developing their own parts business. In the beginning, the business was worth in the 10's of millions but now, it's in the billions.

Where it caught my attention was when the host said the government supports these businesses, especially when the billions word is floated around.

Here we are worrying about the appearance of the car and South Korea is actively supporting development in the tuner market!

No mention of smog or emissions but it must not be an issue or they've chosen to work with tuners to produce components that don't drastically affect air quality.

Go figure.
Sponsored