Emergency Brake

Howard

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
my driveway is on a hill. i use my emergency brake every day. any issues with the electric brake?

also, what if your battery dies? how do you activate the brake?

thanks
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
my driveway is on a hill. i use my emergency brake every day. any issues with the electric brake?

also, what if your battery dies? how do you activate the brake?

thanks
Well, normally you would activate the brake before you shut the engine off.

But if you can't start the car, there may still be enough power to activate the brake since it is a very small motor.

OP
OP

Howard

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks - what about the hill parking with that emergency brake?

Any issues, concerns, etc.?

Am I missing anything?

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Thanks - what about the hill parking with that emergency brake?

Any issues, concerns, etc.?

Am I missing anything?
That's what the parking brake is used for. But when on a steep hill, always turn the steering wheel to one side so that if the parking brake failed, the car would roll into the curb, not straight down the hill.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You need power to change the position of the e brake, whether it is to activate or deactivate. No power, no change in the status of the e brake.
I don't know what you mean but any issues with the ebrake. Engage it when parking, especially on a hill. Use the transmission as an added "holding" device by placing it in "park" (CVT) or reverse\1st gear (depending on the position of the car relative to the hill).

OP
OP

Howard

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My driveway is on a steep hill. No flat land for parking. So I would use the brake every day. A manual pull seems more reliable than an electric button

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My driveway is on a steep hill. No flat land for parking. So I would use the brake every day. A manual pull seems more reliable than an electric button
No argument there. I don't know why Honda decided the ebrake was a better plan than an old school ebrake. That'd be my preference, as well.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I wouldn't be concerned. The cables on the manual pull brakes tend to get rusty over time and misadjusted. The electric brakes won't get rusty and they auto-adjust. Once tight, they can't loosen up until you unlock it because it uses a worm gear.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
no issues, the e-brake was designed properly to not back off unless the motor is turning it. It's just as safe as a manual brake. As far as why the e-brake, they can program it for hill assist on manuals so the car doesn't go backwards when you let off the brake. Ever notice they both came around the same time?

Manual is my preference too, can't use the e-brake to get the rear end out in winter, both to have fun and if the front decides not to turn. I saved myself from snow banks and ditches way too many times with the e-brake in winter. I hate this electronic version but it's the only thing I really dislike about the car and most new cars come this way now so....

OP
OP

Howard

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
no issues, the e-brake was designed properly to not back off unless the motor is turning it. It's just as safe as a manual brake. As far as why the e-brake, they can program it for hill assist on manuals so the car doesn't go backwards when you let off the brake. Ever notice they both came around the same time?

Manual is my preference too, can't use the e-brake to get the rear end out in winter, both to have fun and if the front decides not to turn. I saved myself from snow banks and ditches way too many times with the e-brake in winter. I hate this electronic version but it's the only thing I really dislike about the car and most new cars come this way now so....

My driveway is on a hill, so I use my emergency brake every time I park.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
My driveway is on a hill, so I use my emergency brake every time I park.
You won't have any isues with the park brake. If anything, it's safer than a cable holding the car(manual park brake) as it goes full lock every time vs you maybe not engaging the park brake enough.

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag

The hill start assist doesn’t use the e-brake. The ESP hydraulic module controls and provides brake pressure for the Hill start assist function.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
The hill start assist doesn’t use the e-brake. The ESP hydraulic module controls and provides brake pressure for the Hill start assist function.
Good to know, then I really hate my electronic e-brake now haha.

Bunhyung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Touring
That's what the parking brake is used for. But when on a steep hill, always turn the steering wheel to one side so that if the parking brake failed, the car would roll into the curb, not straight down the hill.
Rule of thumb for parking on hills: Parked facing downhill? Turn wheels pointing toward the curb. Parked uphill? Turn the wheels pointing away from the curb. One caveat, this safety measure works best when you are parked an appropriate distance from the curb ie: not too far away.

Ron21

First Name
Rom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Sorry for reviving a old thread but manual brake are faster than ebrake?

edit: on ebrake doesnt brake only the front or rare both tires
or both front and back?
Sponsored

Last edited: