mpir413

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si 2018
Country flag
If your worried about longevity (Transmission wise), and you drive hard, Emans clutch isn’t for you. His retro fit doesn’t allow use of a pilot bearing or pilot bushing which supports the transmission’s main shaft from vibrations and spinning true.
They type-r’s transmission has a different size diameter main shaft, which is supported by a pilot bearing within the flywheel. The FK7 transmission’s main shaft is supported by a bushing within its flywheel.
also without further modifications to either the retro fit flywheel or the FK7s main shaft, the main shaft won’t even reach the flywheel for support.
Eman claims said support from a pilot (bearing or bushing) isn’t needed. the short answer to that is sure, ifyou don’t mind a transmission that leaks oil or potentially breaks in the near future.
most people on this site will say other wise,then again most of them have little mechanical or engineering sense, and don’t even work on their own cars.
ultimately the choice is up to you, it’s your car your money, but at least you can’t say you were never warned.
Without the pilot bearing in the rear of the crankshaft (or flywheel) the input shaft of the transmission has no support. You will get binding in your clutch, improper clutch release, increased wear of the clutch, and you will wipe out the input shaft bearing in the transmission case since that is where all the loads will go to.
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk01P4olqXF4BIp_BY_vPI0vMdq9TDg:1590426569038&ei=yfvLXpj5AbjDytMP_rihSA&q=how+important+is+a+pilot+bearing&oq=how+importa+pilot+bearing&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAEYADIGCAAQBxAeOgQIABBHOgcIIxCwAhAnOgQIABANOggIABAIEAcQHlDmyANYpeoDYJrzA2gAcAF4AIABoAGIAaYLkgEEMTYuMpgBAKABAQ&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

refer to the video below @ time 4:05 to see what a pilot bearing is and where it lives

Last edited:

MYSI2112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ SI
Country flag
Congrats! It is the only clutch option for our car in my opinion. It’s the only one that has practically zero complaints. It’s not that much more money than aftermarket brands. I have had mine for a little over 10k miles and couldn’t be happier. It’s nice not having to worry about my clutch anymore. I can focus the rest of my attention to performance.

mpir413

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si 2018
Country flag
Congrats! It is the only clutch option for our car in my opinion. It’s the only one that has practically zero complaints. It’s not that much more money than aftermarket brands. I have had mine for a little over 10k miles and couldn’t be happier. It’s nice not having to worry about my clutch anymore. I can focus the rest of my attention to performance.
[/
Sure it holds more power, but actually it’s a hack way to do so, and one of the worst ways by far to go about holding power if you care about your transmission lasting a good long time of course. If not and you have money to waste then have at it.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Sure it holds more power, but actually it’s a hack way to do so, and one of the worst ways by far to go about holding power if you care about your transmission lasting a good long time of course. If not and you have money to waste then have at it.
Good read you posted earlier. Curious as to when you think users would experience said problems as I haven’t heard of a single one yet and some users have done over 50k miles on their kit.

mpir413

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si 2018
Country flag
Good read you posted earlier. Curious as to when you think users would experience said problems as I haven’t heard of a single one yet and some users have done over 50k miles on their kit.
I can’t answer that, I guess it would all depend on driving habits. I’d just like people to know what They may be getting themself into and then they can decide if that is something they want or not. I’ve actually purchased and ran the clutch myself. However, I wish I knew it had no option to use a pilot support before I had my car all apart in the driveway. Feel a bit cheated is all, and I’d like to make others aware.

madchiller

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i know nothing of the inner workings personally. i did buy the ACT clutch and i would same it's at least a contender in any clutch decision.

mauiSI19

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can’t answer that, I guess it would all depend on driving habits. I’d just like people to know what They may be getting themself into and then they can decide if that is something they want or not. I’ve actually purchased and ran the clutch myself. However, I wish I knew it had no option to use a pilot support before I had my car all apart in the driveway. Feel a bit cheated is all, and I’d like to make others aware.
Most of the guys with the type r retro clutch drive it aggressively. I have yet to see anyone post about transmission failure related to running this clutch.

As I was planning on picking one up myself I’m interested to hear about your experience with it.

you said you had it, what made you swap? Did you encounter any problems ?
Sponsored