ELI5: Pros and Cons of disabling rev hang on CVT?

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Hey guys. I'm playing around with my Ktuner and I was wondering the Pros and Cons of disabling Rev Hang?

From my understanding it help the vehicle decelerate faster/sooner, but is that it?

Are there any performance gains from doing this? With respects to 1.5L Turbo CVT engines?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Are there any performance gains from doing this? With respects to 1.5L Turbo CVT engines?
You're kidding, right? Rev hang is an emissions related "feature" added to manual transmission cars. CVT's don't have rev hang.

OP
OP
vancitysfinest
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
You're kidding, right? Rev hang is an emissions related "feature" added to manual transmission cars. CVT's don't have rev hang.
I guess I’m referring to:
Honda Civic 10th gen ELI5: Pros and Cons of disabling rev hang on CVT? 9DD14BE0-00AB-4C73-806B-255BCC5E45B7

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Rev hang comes from electronic throttle control. When you get off the throttle, the plate should snap closed immediately into vacuum and you will start engine braking. Rev hang keeps that throttle plate open for just a second to help lean out AFRs and smooth out decel.

So aside from very heavy dual mass flywheels causing physical rev hang (on MT models only), the electronic throttle controlled Rev hang for comfort and emissions purposes is at play in both models.

As far as whether or not it's a good or useful feature on CVTs isn't something I can comment on.

Following. So, response?
Sponsored