Electronics Protection Package

moomamichelle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I'm going to pick up my 2017 EXL coupe this Monday and I'll finally be a member of the civic family. I was looking at the add on packages the dealership has. There was one I don't remember exactly what it was called but the dealer said it's the most popular package. Which he could be lieing. It protects like all the cameras, touchscreen,sun roof electronic things like that after they break to repair. The package is 2,000. Does anyone have a package like that? Is that worth it. Should I need to worry those things will break after warranty. So far I'm against purchasing it. Just wanted to make sure I'm doing the right thing.
Sponsored

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
Well they are covered under warranty unless there is accidental damage in which case that's covered by your insurance. So this coverage only applies after 36000 mi then.
I can understand the reason for this. A lot of people feel like all the tech in the new vehicles is an expensive repair waiting to happen.
Honestly if you want post-factory-warranty coverage you'd probably do better to find an extended warranty that covers everything and not just an electronics warranty. Your insurance company might even offer a mechanical breakdown plan, but you should check the coverage first of course. You'll feel silly buying a $2K electronics warranty if something more fundamental breaks outside of warranty, like your AC.
Honda is fairly reliable but you have to weigh your risk tolerance.

Rayve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 white Civic VTI-LX (Touring equivalent)
Country flag
Many (most?) of these 'dealer protection packages' are ways for the dealer to make a LOT of money for very little service provision. I don't know how long the extra coverage is for but I am sure you could buy two or more years of total extended warranty for all the car components, including the electronics, for less than half that amount, which is absolutely what I would be doing in your case - you get the peace of mind of the extra coverage for less money. I would check also whether such 'coverage is dealer specific or whether it is nationwide. If you do consider it more seriously make sure you fully understand the limitations before you sign up.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Many (most?) of these 'dealer protection packages' are ways for the dealer to make a LOT of money for very little service provision. I don't know how long the extra coverage is for but I am sure you could buy two or more years of total extended warranty for all the car components, including the electronics, for less than half that amount, which is absolutely what I would be doing in your case - you get the peace of mind of the extra coverage for less money. I would check also whether such 'coverage is dealer specific or whether it is nationwide. If you do consider it more seriously make sure you fully understand the limitations before you sign up.
2k? Holy jesus... Cant you cover the whole damn car for alot less?

OP
OP

moomamichelle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I guess that's where they get you. Cause they offer a lifetime warranty on the powertrain but sell all these other packages.

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
Remember the powertrain warranty only covers very specific fundamental things. Think of it as catastrophic medical insurance for your car. If your transmission gives out or you throw a piston or the driveshaft or differential cracks, that's the kind of thing we're talking about. Even related parts like CV joints, clutches, coil packs, etc. are not covered. And definately not steering, AC, electronics, etc.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
I guess that's where they get you. Cause they offer a lifetime warranty on the powertrain but sell all these other packages.
No... This is just dealer shenanigans. Ask for "Honda Care". It's unfortunate you live in FL, which has made buying a warranty from another state illegal; but you can still call other Honda dealers in FL and get extended warranty quotes.

Here's what people in other states can do: http://www.hyannishondacare.com, http://www.saccuccihondacare.com, etc etc etc.
Sponsored