Jolavemma

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
So I’m fairly new to my Si owning it for about a month with 2k miles . I have a fear of the electronics failing or being “hacked” due to apps downloaded with Honda hack and apk. Has anybody experienced and electronically problems or ANY problems for that matter when messing around with Honda hack and your head unit ?
Sponsored

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
I am 52 and proudly admit I have no idea what the faulk you are talking about! Whhhhaaaatttttttt?
I’m not hacking shit either Cool Coupe! Lol...

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
So I’m fairly new to my Si owning it for about a month with 2k miles . I have a fear of the electronics failing or being “hacked” due to apps downloaded with Honda hack and apk. Has anybody experienced and electronically problems or ANY problems for that matter when messing around with Honda hack and your head unit ?
LOL!!! :lol:

Dude don't worry you are just rooting the android operating system to remove restrictions. It doesn't interact with your vehicle diagnostics. No one can takeover your car while you are driving like you see in some sci-fi movies

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
...or can they??? Lol!

OP
OP

Jolavemma

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
So today I was trying to download something . Then I went into the settings and played around with Hondahack settings a little and as soon as clicked on fix all errors or something like that all the lights in my dash started going crazy . All error signals started popping up . My HU wouldn’t come on and my car wouldn’t start . I was real worried which is why I am asking .

enishi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sedan ext
Country flag
Remove the positive terminal from the battery and leave it off for half an hour. If you have usb drive plug in also check if there's any corruption.

jacobzl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Yeah, i’ve wondered the same thing, hacking cars isn’t science fiction, especially in 2019, running anything as the root user on any system makes “breaking out of the sandbox (gaining root access)” a joke if the end user (you) has run the application with root privileges. I guess it really depends on how much of the cars CANBUS is connected to the android unit, i really don’t know..

jacobzl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
To clarify though: rooting your android unit isn’t going to cause random electronics to start failing

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Yeah, i’ve wondered the same thing, hacking cars isn’t science fiction, especially in 2019, running anything as the root user on any system makes “breaking out of the sandbox (gaining root access)” a joke if the end user (you) has run the application with root privileges. I guess it really depends on how much of the cars CANBUS is connected to the android unit, i really don’t know..

Radio is connected to the Canbus .. as are things like the A/C heater system, and the ECU.
So, in theory, if your unit is Rooted, it is possible that an unwanted program could be introduced into the system,. that gave the access to control these items.

Welcome to the future of Car Computer Electronics !!

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Don't confuse rooting your HU w/ giving individual applications root privileges. And w/ any OS, don't install apps you don't trust. There's a huge thread about HondaHack on the XDA-developers forum and never has there been any concern about the HondaHack app itself.
Sponsored