Electronic Parking Brake Problem

stevedross

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EXL turbo
Again knock off the scare mongering, there are no reported issues with the electronic parking brake activating by itself while driving down the road including expressways. You are attempting to scare people into thinking there is a problem with the electric parking brake activating on its own when the fact is there are no reported problems of the electronic parking brake ever activating on its own while driving down the road.

The only documented issue with the electronic parking brake was if you turned off the car before the electronic parking brake was done setting the electronic parking brake would not complete the function, that was cured via a Honda software update that keeps power to the electronic parking brake until it has finished setting.

You can jump up and down and make false claims all you want but there are no reported issues with your bogus claim. You don't do anyone any good when you make up phony problems and run to an internet site and start telling people to get their car to Honda or your electronic parking brake might activate while you are traveling 75 MPH down the expressway.

You have never experienced the electronic parking brake activating on its own while you were driving down the road, instead you set it in your mind that this might happen when the facts say you are wrong. You have made up a nonexistent problem and now you are posting on forums like this one trying to convince everyone their electronic parking brake might activate while they are driving down the road, you are spreading a false issue/rumor with your unsubstantiated claim.
I'll add support to what the gentleman claims happened with his emergency brake engaging on its own. My 2016 Civic just did the same last week for the second time I've had the vehicle. The first time was about a year ago. The dealership got that glossy-glaze look on their faces like I was making it up. I did a quick search of the forums and found several others who had it happen to them as well, including a gentleman that said his engaged on him twice while he was driving. Anyway, they did their hocus pocus with the software recall and for a year it hadn't happened again until last week. I got into my car to start it up and an "Emergency Brake System Failure" warning came up and my car wouldn't move. I had to turn off the car and restart it in order to disengage the brake. I take it to the dealership next week. By the way, during the first bout of this lunacy they also had to replace my dead radio. And now, my radio is acting up again, my sunroof leaks, my auto-lock doesn't function properly, if at all, etc. I wanted this car to be a car that I could keep for more than 10 years, but it scares the hell out of me thinking the parking brake will start acting up in the future. So to call all of this scare mongering, is irresponsible and uneducated on the subject.

P.S. I never use a parking brake so it's not a situation of "maybe I turned it on or maybe I didn't"
Sponsored

Last edited:

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
geez who thought a parking brake could break.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
geez who thought a parking brake could break.
It broke, so it doesn't brake anymore... Har-har-har... :D

But yeah one of my very top (and very few) gripes with the Si... Shoulda made the damn thing manual in the first place... :nono: Ya know, like the transmission.

Last edited:

stevedross

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EXL turbo
It broke, so it doesn't brake anymore... Har-har-har... :D

But yeah one of my very top (and very few) gripes with the Si... Shoulda made the damn thing manual in the first place... :nono: Like the transmission.
Oh give me a brake:) At least a working one. And can you throw in a working radio and how about a new sunroof.

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
oh man this is getting hilarious

Honda Civic 10th gen Electronic Parking Brake Problem haha

aa.brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX-T
Country flag
And I will repeat myself again for those that think I am spreading fear....

When the dealership realized I had the problem they refused to release my car to me until they fixed it. They said it was a safety issue and they REFUSED to give me my car back.

The logic is that it is a computer malfunction. For those of you that think computers don't malfunction, THEY DO! Our electronic parking brake is run by a computer.

Did anyone experience the parking brake lock on its own while driving in the past? I don't know. Is it locking on its own while the car is parked? Yes. Can it malfunction and lock the parking brake on its own while driving? Certainly anything is a possibility with a malfunctioning computer.

It was bad enough for a dealership to refuse to give me my car back when I said I would return it the next day. The dealership didn't want to take that chance for liability reasons. Do you want to take the chance?

All I am trying to say is if you have the problem don't ignore it. Take it seriously and GET IT FIXED! It is FREE! SO GET IT FIXED! It is just a software update. Even if you are out of warranty they will still update the software for free.

If you think I am just spreading fear, then ignore the problem and let me know if your parking brake locks up while you are driving. Maybe then you can prove me (and the dealership) wrong and say I am over reacting.
I know this thread is like a year old but I’m actually glad I found your original post about the EPB issue. I got my civic in 2016 brand new & had the software update done from the recall back then. However, it has still thrown error codes even after that and would not let me out of the driveway until I would turn the car off and on and try to fight with it until the code went away and EPB disengaged. Here we are in 2018, my car is regularly serviced and it’s babied to death. Last night, I was chilling in the car while my hubs filled it up with gas. All of a sudden, I heard the mechanical noise associated with the EPB when it turns on. IT TURNED ITSELF ON WHILE THE CAR WAS OFF AND PARKED! I don’t like that at all and will definitely have the dealership (insist) they look at it and fix it. I like the idea of everything taken care of these days with a touch of a button, but when it comes to something as serious as a parking/emergency brake, I want to be in control of that myself.

OP
OP

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I know this thread is like a year old but I’m actually glad I found your original post about the EPB issue. I got my civic in 2016 brand new & had the software update done from the recall back then. However, it has still thrown error codes even after that and would not let me out of the driveway until I would turn the car off and on and try to fight with it until the code went away and EPB disengaged. Here we are in 2018, my car is regularly serviced and it’s babied to death. Last night, I was chilling in the car while my hubs filled it up with gas. All of a sudden, I heard the mechanical noise associated with the EPB when it turns on. IT TURNED ITSELF ON WHILE THE CAR WAS OFF AND PARKED! I don’t like that at all and will definitely have the dealership (insist) they look at it and fix it. I like the idea of everything taken care of these days with a touch of a button, but when it comes to something as serious as a parking/emergency brake, I want to be in control of that myself.
Take it in to the dealership and insist you have a problem. The person that deals directly with the customers tried to blow it off (they usually don't know anything about mechanics). Insist that the technician check it out. Once the technician got a hold of my car he knew about the software update. They actually wouldn't let me leave with the car once he realized what the problem was (it was a safety issue and they didn't want to be liable). Good luck and get it fixed! It is just a simple software update that won't take long and it is free.

bakerjal

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
Country flag
Guess what - the "parking brake" is also your "Emergency Brake"! (ref Owner's Manual p 518)
How do you use it as an E-Brake? The brake won't latch down if the wheels are turning.

aa.brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX-T
Country flag
Take it in to the dealership and insist you have a problem. The person that deals directly with the customers tried to blow it off (they usually don't know anything about mechanics). Insist that the technician check it out. Once the technician got a hold of my car he knew about the software update. They actually wouldn't let me leave with the car once he realized what the problem was (it was a safety issue and they didn't want to be liable). Good luck and get it fixed! It is just a simple software update that won't take long and it is free.
Thank you so much for your help!!

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
How do you use it as an E-Brake? The brake won't latch down if the wheels are turning.
Pull the switch UP and hold it - look it up in your Owner's manual under Braking - Braking System - Parking Brake
It's in bold
"If you pull up and hold the electric parking brake switch while driving, the brakes on all four wheels are applied by the VSA system until the vehicle come to a stop. The electric parking brake then applies, and the switch should be released."

bakerjal

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
Country flag
Pull the switch UP and hold it - look it up in your Owner's manual under Braking - Braking System - Parking Brake
It's in bold
"If you pull up and hold the electric parking brake switch while driving, the brakes on all four wheels are applied by the VSA system until the vehicle come to a stop. The electric parking brake then applies, and the switch should be released."
I looked for something like this in the OM when I first got the car. Must have missed it! This helps a lot! I assume it will slowly apply the brake so you don't lose traction and come skidding to a stop?

4DBox

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silver EXT, 2018 Volt
Country flag
I'll add support to what the gentleman claims happened with his emergency brake engaging on its own. My 2016 Civic just did the same last week for the second time I've had the vehicle. The first time was about a year ago. The dealership got that glossy-glaze look on their faces like I was making it up. I did a quick search of the forums and found several others who had it happen to them as well, including a gentleman that said his engaged on him twice while he was driving. Anyway, they did their hocus pocus with the software recall and for a year it hadn't happened again until last week. I got into my car to start it up and an "Emergency Brake System Failure" warning came up and my car wouldn't move. I had to turn off the car and restart it in order to disengage the brake. I take it to the dealership next week. By the way, during the first bout of this lunacy they also had to replace my dead radio. And now, my radio is acting up again, my sunroof leaks, my auto-lock doesn't function properly, if at all, etc. I wanted this car to be a car that I could keep for more than 10 years, but it scares the hell out of me thinking the parking brake will start acting up in the future. So to call all of this scare mongering, is irresponsible and uneducated on the subject.

P.S. I never use a parking brake so it's not a situation of "maybe I turned it on or maybe I didn't"
My battery went bad last night (17000miles)and it threw up the parking brake error message. This is the 4th time I’ve seen this error and in my case the car would NOT START each time. The brake would not release until I pushed really hard on the foot brake... then it would start. Was this due to the faulty Honda battery from day 1? I will update this after I get a new warranty batter.

Hatchback_lifestyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring (VERY SOON)
Country flag
The only time I got that message is when I held up the parking brake button. I thought we also has the "auto on" feature where when you put it in park it'll also automatically engage the parking brake, but I found out after 3 tries civics don't come with that

bunbao

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
My battery went bad last night (17000miles)and it threw up the parking brake error message. This is the 4th time I’ve seen this error and in my case the car would NOT START each time. The brake would not release until I pushed really hard on the foot brake... then it would start. Was this due to the faulty Honda battery from day 1? I will update this after I get a new warranty batter.
so any updates since it's been 1 yr already?
Sponsored