Electrical issue keeping car from starting.

Bamafan2102

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
My son is in college 2 hours away and called me for the second time with this issue on his 2017 EX Civic (Less than 40,000 miles)

1. When trying to start the car, all the lights on the dash come on and car will not start. Makes a clicking noise and the brake pedal is stuck/impossible to push.

He had his roommate hook up jumper cables thinking it was a battery issue. The car started and he drove to Auto Zone where they checked the battery and said it was good. That was August 31st.

Called me today with the same issue. Jumped it off and it worked again. Any idea what this is? Seems like maybe a battery cable issue? Hard to get to the dealership since he is 2 hours away and is very dependant on this car.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Bamafan2102

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
My son is in college 2 hours away and called me for the second time with this issue on his 2017 EX Civic (Less than 40,000 miles)

1. When trying to start the car, all the lights on the dash come on and car will not start. Makes a clicking noise and the brake pedal is stuck/impossible to push.

He had his roommate hook up jumper cables thinking it was a battery issue. The car started and he drove to Auto Zone where they checked the battery and said it was good. That was August 31st.

Called me today with the same issue. Jumped it off and it worked again. Any idea what this is? Seems like maybe a battery cable issue? Hard to get to the dealership since he is 2 hours away and is very dependant on this car.
It was July 31st...sorry

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Get a new battery. Most only last about 2yrs anyways. Autozone is filled with morons. If you provide good battery voltage (a jump start) and it starts no problem its battery related. If it would not start or only click with a jumper on it, issue is starter related or something further.

Depending on when you bought the car and the mileage, Honda battery warranty is 3yrs/36k miles. It may be free at the dealer for the 2hr drive or pay the $120 locally.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Get a new battery. Most only last about 2yrs anyways. Autozone is filled with morons. If you provide good battery voltage (a jump start) and it starts no problem its battery related. If it would not start or only click with a jumper on it, issue is starter related or something further.

Depending on when you bought the car and the mileage, Honda battery warranty is 3yrs/36k miles. It may be free at the dealer for the 2hr drive or pay the $120 locally.
Agreed. New battery. You may get a bunch of warning lights after the car starts. They will go away after driving the car a few minutes.

Brenster2223

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 BNP Civic Touring (RIP), 2018 BNP Civic Touring
Country flag

My '18 touring, if the battery voltage gets very low but not low enough to fail starting, I will get that 'christmas tree' of lights on my dash. Original Honda battery. Replaced with an Interstate from Costco, no issues. All the error lights may not disappear right away, but upon charging/getting sufficient power, driving around for a few (5 or so) minutes gets everything going properly.

Bad batteries sure can be the cause of many weird issues. Thankfully your situation appears to be another example of that battery issue. Have heard many similar stories from others still on Honda's OEM battery.

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
It does sound like a worn battery.
It needs to be tested while the engine is not running and it should be tested for load and not just voltage. This shouldn't be done immediately after running the engine either. The battery should be rested for a short while.
Sponsored