Electric Parking Brake Problem. Jump start works but battery dies again.

nmpraveen

First Name
Praveen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 EX-T
Country flag
I turned on my car (2017 Honda Civic Ex-T sedan). Lights flicker, Engine doesnt start and error shows 'Electric Parking Brake Problem'. Called towing guy to take to dealership. He comes and says its just dead battery. Jump starts, everything works fine. Later in evening same issue. May be I thought I didnt drive long enough for battery to recharge fully. So again jump start and drove for an hour. Next day, same issue. Any idea whats going on? I saw some previous thread but none of the solutions or reasons were concrete. One person said just change the battery and it should be good. Other said its software issue.
Sponsored

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Yeah it sounds like the battery is just at the end of its life. After awhile a battery just won't hold charge anymore.

Replace the battery and you shouldn't have this issue again.

OP
OP
nmpraveen

nmpraveen

First Name
Praveen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 EX-T
Country flag
Yeah it sounds like the battery is just at the end of its life. After awhile a battery just won't hold charge anymore.

Replace the battery and you shouldn't have this issue again.
You suggest to just take to autozone or something and replace battery instead of Honda service center?

blinkz0rz

First Name
Jrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FC1 Civic Si, 1997 Dodge Dakota, 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner 440, 2010 JKU Jeep Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You suggest to just take to autozone or something and replace battery instead of Honda service center?
Yeah go to Autozone or such. A battery is a battery, the OEM Honda battery is nothing special other than being overpriced.

I worked at O'Reilly and Autozone 5 years ago, did plenty of battery, starter, and alternator checks. It is always free to check. Just be sure to get the same CCA rating or above. Usually they sell some 50 CCA higher than stock and that is perfect for when winter comes around. More CCA is better for cold starts.

A battery change has zero impact on warranty.

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Whichever one you want to really. I don't know about the service center but Autozone will replace the battery for free with purchase if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself.

Hoangsta1o1

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic ex sedan
Country flag
@ nmpraveen
Did changing the battery solve the issue?
I've been having the exact same problem as you did word for word.
Thanks

OP
OP
nmpraveen

nmpraveen

First Name
Praveen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 EX-T
Country flag
@ nmpraveen

Did changing the battery solve the issue?
I've been having the exact same problem as you did word for word.
Thanks
Yes just changed the battery. Everything is working awesome so far. I just went to auto zone. They said it’s pretty common to have these errors when your battery is failing.

Hoangsta1o1

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic ex sedan
Country flag
Yes just changed the battery. Everything is working awesome so far. I just went to auto zone. They said it’s pretty common to have these errors when your battery is failing.
Okay ill try that today.
Thank you very much for your help.

nothingclever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I am having the same issue word for word on my 2019. The only qualm is that I just bought a Costco battery 7 months ago. The issue showed up yesterday for the first time for which I called AAA for a jumpstart. They said by battery was at 27%. I drove the 45 minutes/40 miles home. But it occurred again this morning. Has anyone had this issue after changing their battery? Ironically, I need my car to get to Costco to exchange the battery under warranty. Maybe My only option is to have AAA replace the battery and just bite the loss I paid for the Costco battery because I think AAA has to recycle the Costco battery by policy or law. Does anyone know?

I also ask this because I have 58,XXX miles on my Civic. The powertrain warranty expires at 60,000 miles. If I can get the wiring or whatever repaired under that, it would be great.
Sponsored

Last edited: