Election Day

Coconuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Touring Sedan
Well, time to roll the dice and find me a Canadian honey! OKCupid, here I come!
Trust me, you don't want to see the girls on OKCupid here, they tend to indulge themselves in maple syrup and Canadian bacon a bit too much.
Sponsored

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
kyle_agronick said "The electoral college is obsolete. It needs to go away." Very true, and it's brought up every election and then nothing happens.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
kyle_agronick said "The electoral college is obsolete. It needs to go away." Very true, and it's brought up every election and then nothing happens.
The EC is double-edged sword. I doubt it will go away any time soon. Both sides want the chance to win in spite of the popular vote.

Doing away with it, either by SCOTUS decree or Constitutional amendment, would eviscerate States' Rights and further diminish the 10th Amendment. And there is nothing obsolete about it compared to the alternative: a further push towards direct democracy/populism. That's been around since BCE Athens. And history has shown it doesn't work all that well.

If the election had been reversed, with Trump winning the popular vote but losing on EC votes, every HRC supporter in the land would be extolling the virtues of the EC.

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
States rights, so important in our formation, is weighing us down. You can marry a first cousin or not, drink at the age of x or not, (until recently) marry someone of the same sex/race or not, use medicinal marijuana legally or not, execute someone as punishment or not. We can have intelligent discussions and debates about anything and everything, but geographical location rarely figures in logically.

Distances, geographical separation, and travel time were, in effect, barriers back then. If we had to rewrite our Constitution I would want to reverse it and enumerate the rights of states and have the default be Federal. (Examples: We have geniuses here in NC who said now that rivers are becoming pollution-free because of EPA regulations, we can now get rid of these regulations -- superb logic. Any chance that the thousand-fold increase in earthquakes in some states might have something to do with fracking? Hmmm)

It's true, as RBG said recently, that it's a good thing it's very difficult to change our Constitution. You don't want it changing back and forth every few years. But fortunately we do change it once in a while.

Last edited:

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
States rights, so important in our formation, is weighing us down. You can marry a first cousin or not, drink at the age of x or not, (until recently) marry someone of the same sex/race or not, use medicinal marijuana legally or not, execute someone as punishment or not. We can have intelligent discussions and debates about anything and everything, but geographical location rarely figures in logically.

Distances, geographical separation, and travel time were, in effect, barriers back then. If we had to rewrite our Constitution I would want to reverse it and enumerate the rights of states and have the default be Federal. (Examples: We have geniuses here in NC who said now that rivers are becoming pollution-free because of EPA regulations, we can now get rid of these regulations -- superb logic. Any chance that the thousand-fold increase in earthquakes in some states might have something to do with fracking? Hmmm)

It's true, as RBG said recently, that it's a good thing it's very difficult to change our Constitution. You don't want it changing back and forth every few years. But fortunately we do change it once in a while.
With all due respect, I don't think that would work out the way that you think it would work out. ;)

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If Hillary had had a clean past, instead of being a career politician she is, she would have won by a landslide. Media and social media influenced this election more than any other. Just glad that LYING BITCH didn't win.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
As a non-American, your state/federal rights are quite strange. I get that it's strongly tied to the foundation of the US, but in this day and age some changes could probably be made, no?

It's like having a big house with lots of siblings in it. The father/mother says "you guys can do whatever the fuck you want as long as you don't burn down the house, cook meth, or have sex with the pet". And then the siblings fight and fight and fight.

In my humble and honest opinion, I think it adds to the division that's been so evidently clear this election.

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Trump has a lot on his To Do list. The CEO of a company looks out his/her window and sees faded parking lot lines. The next morning the painters are out. Not so with the Presidency. Let's see what happens and discuss in 4 years.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As a non-American, your state/federal rights are quite strange. I get that it's strongly tied to the foundation of the US, but in this day and age some changes could probably be made, no?

It's like having a big house with lots of siblings in it. The father/mother says "you guys can do whatever the fuck you want as long as you don't burn down the house, cook meth, or have sex with the pet". And then the siblings fight and fight and fight.

In my humble and honest opinion, I think it adds to the division that's been so evidently clear this election.
Unfortunately, with the 70+ year old geriatrics running the country, I doubt there's ever gonna be major structural change.

I think the whole political division thing is stupid, frankly. Reared its ugly head big time this election, although part of it was that neither side had an ideal candidate.

Time to buckle up, hope things don't get too wild. If you guys build a wall, we understand lol. Only solace I have right now is Melania ;)

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Billy said "Only solace I have right now is Melania"

Is that Melania T. or the name of your Civic? :rolleyes:

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Billy said "Only solace I have right now is Melania"

Is that Melania T. or the name of your Civic? :rolleyes:
Haha, that would be Mrs. Trump. But...I may now have a name for the car! lmao :rofl:

Ma_deuce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500, 2002 ZX2, 2017 Si Coupe

While the setup is very different to provinces and territories of Canada, I think there is a lot of the same sentiment between them. BC and Alberta are just about as fond of Quebec as most of the US is of California.
Sponsored