electeronic brake system problem.

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
This solution is for Civic 2017, but might work 2016 models too.

Hello Guys

I have solved the issue with similar problems. I would try to be through as possible.

First of all I have a Honda Civic 2017 EX-T 1.5 Liter Turbo w/Sensing. 2016 models might have a software issue as per this thread, I can't confirm that but the solution might work for you.

Problem: My car was in parking. I did use Cruise Control for half an hour before I parked the car. Later in the evening, when I started the car, a message popped up saying "Electronic Brake System Failed", the electronic brake totally lost power and the car moved forward without any acceleration from me. I immediately pressed the brake peddle with my foot and the brake jammed, light flickered and the car totally shut down. Lock wasn't working, the start button wasn't flickering "white" as usually do in Civic EX-T. It was total shutdown. I locked the car with metal key from the key fob and manually closed all the passenger seats.

As I went through this forum, I found out some earlier models had similar problems and was recalled for a software update. That wasn't the case for my vehicle though.

Towards Wrong Solution: Next day I called Honda Dealership and they checked my VIN number and said there is no recall for 2017 Civic and if I want to do a software update, they have to check if there is actually any available or not and even then if I want to go through it they will charge me $140+tax dollars. I called another dealership and they said a software update is not available as of 31st March, 2020 for my Honda Civic 2017 and it will cost $138+tax+labor if I do a flush software update. May I just add that dealerships are total vultures? Please don't take their word for it.

The Solution: So next I checked one YouTube video and suspected I might have a battery issue. I took out my battery and took it to Pep Boys (you can also take it to AutoZone). They will examine your battery for free. This is when I found out that my battery is totally dead...like "the soul has even left the body of battery" kinda dead. This is now self explanatory that I have to change the battery. Civic needs a 51R battery type which they quoted $170 dollars. I decided to get mine from Costco which cost me about $83 dollars with tax+ 36 months warranty (as of 31st March, 2020). Note that if you don't give them your old battery to recycle, they will charge $15.99 extra. Although you have the option to take old the battery later on and get that money refunded. Note that my mileage was 42,370 and I never changed a battery before, the car was brand new and was bought when it had 5 miles in it.

I changed my battery afterwards. The car took a while to restart all the safety systems, you may have to press the audio power button for two seconds to jump start the process when it prompts. As I drove immediately, all the warning signs came up (Brake system problem, ACC Problem, TPMS Problem etc etc.). So I went to settings and put all the system settings back to default and restarted the car. Since then, the warning signs are gone. The car is performing as it used to.

It is important to note that there were no prior warnings that my car battery health isn't good, am not sure if the car can do that either. But I felt a subtle hiccup while starting the car few days back, which was barely noticeable, and I totally ignored it. Lesson learned, will check my battery health next time there is a hiccup or I passed another 38k miles to be on safe side.

Steps you should take if this problem occurs.
1. Keep your VIN ready and call a Honda dealership to check if there is any recall or software update.
2. Take out your battery and take it for a free checkup to Pep Boys or such sort of business.
3. If the battery is dead, get a good one (I got mine from Costco).
4. Replace the battery.

TL;DR
Do a battery checkup. It might be the very reason for all the hiccup as there is no power and brake system failed along with other systems. I assume a weak battery might trigger the whole warning system repeatedly. If your battery is fine, this solution is probably not for you and there are other problems which you need to look on.
There is a reason I spent the money for a battery tester and test my battery and charging health every month. With all the cars being so heavily computerized, a battery that is on the way out will cause all kinds of problems. On another note, there are analyzers that include the ability to reset the Ebrakes - probably a reason for that. Just my 2 cents
Sponsored

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
IMO most of battery tester are nor reliable.
There is a post where a member go to a well know car repair shop for testing his Civic battery.
Battery test good and it was not.

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got a call from Honda. Not battery related supposedly. The actual switch failed.

They ordered the part and is being replaced tomorrow.

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update:

Switch was replaced under warranty and the system works fine now.

the DTC that was pulled is C1120-14.

Interesting how the switch failed prematurely. If anyone runs into this issue its definitely a pain in the ass to get fixed as theres no bypass that I'm aware of to release the brake.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Update:

Switch was replaced under warranty and the system works fine now.

the DTC that was pulled is C1120-14.

Interesting how the switch failed prematurely. If anyone runs into this issue its definitely a pain in the ass to get fixed as theres no bypass that I'm aware of to release the brake.
Was it the switch on the console? Can that be popped out from the top & just disconnected in order to bypass it?

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Was it the switch on the console? Can that be popped out from the top & just disconnected in order to bypass it?
Yes it was the switch near the shifter. I'm not sure if removing the switch will make the brake disengage, I would assume it would still throw the error up anyway and have it locked in whatever position it's in.

Brendaarceo

First Name
Brenda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic
Country flag
THIS IS NOT NORMAL. THIS IS A KNOWN PROBLEM and a SAFETY ISSUE. The problem WILL NOT GO AWAY ON ITS OWN. GET IT FIXED ASAP!

I felt the need to repeat myself and put it in caps. I apologize for that but I am just trying to look out for you guys here. You guys need a software update. I would get it done ASAP because it is going to keep happening. After the second time I went into the dealership. They looked up my VIN and said there were no updates for my car. The third time I took a picture and the advisor sent my car in the back to the technician. The technician knew all about it and did the software update. No problems since and it has been a long time. I wouldn't wait to see if it happens again. i would get your cars into the dealership ASAP.

And for the record... I still love my 2017 civic :) This was the only issue I ever had with this car.
I just got my 2016 Honda Civic it has 56000 miles on it all the lights went on break system and four other lights I took it to Honda Honda emailed me with a quote of 2000 something price I’m a signal mom I don’t have that kind of money any suggestion please help

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Don’t pay it. Tell them it is a known issue (and safety issue) and requires a software update. There should be a service bulletin on file and they should do it for free. If they are no help, call Honda corporate. A lot of dealerships are not very smart with these things. My dealership knew exactly what the issue was and knew how to handle it. They fixed it 4 years ago and I NEVER had the issue again.
Sponsored