electeronic brake system problem.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic LX
Country flag
has anyone had this issue with there 2017 civix.. I went to start the car and a warning light came on saying the electronic brake system has a problem.. all wheels were locked and I could not move..I had to turn the car off and on again 3 times in order for it to release the brake...I never use the ebrake since I bought the car in july
Sponsored

l0p3s22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta GLI Autobahn
Country flag
Yes I have had this issue. I started the car and the message pops up saying Electronic Brake System Problem. The brake was not engaged at the time. Had to shutdown and restart to make it go away. Only thing I can I think is that this will happen if you don't use the E-Brake for long periods of time as when it happened to me it had been awhile since I last used it.

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
YEs.
I was cruising on the hwy with adaptive cruize on, had to make a quick right turn to exit.
The car's camera or radar saw the orange cones and activated the brakes before I could step on the brakes.
I made the exit just fine in a normal way, but...
All lights lit up on the dash one after an other: brake system malfunction, adaptive cruise inactive, emergency braking malfunction, stability control inactive.
Tried to reactivate the cruise, it would not activate.
Drove for about 5miles to safely exit.
Stopped, turned the car off and restart.
Light reset and all seems good now.
I don't tyhink it should do that.
There was no reason for all systems to deactivate other than it seems the car scared the shit out of itself and switch to a "flight or fight" mode and wen to a safe route of lighting up the dash with warning light signaling to "take me to the honda dealer" now :)

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I posted a thread about this a while back. I had this problem so do exactly as a say. Bring your car to the dealership. Explain the message that you got (bring a picture from your phone if you have to). The advisor may tell you nothing is wrong after looking up your vin on the computer. They may tell you there are no recalls or updates to your car. That is what they said to me until the technician got involved so insist that you have them bring your car in the back to the technician because the technician knows all about this problem. There is a software update to fix this and it shouldn't cost you a thing even if you are out of warranty. This is a known and common problem and I would get it fixed ASAP! I had the issue in my car about three times. After getting the update I haven't experienced this problem ever again.

I remember getting into an argument with someone on this forum about the parking brake activating while driving. It seems to only malfunction after starting the car while parked but I knew there was a possibility it could act up while driving. I was told by a forum member that I was causing panic when there wasn't a single case of this issue happening while driving. I guess I was correct to be concerned. Once the dealership diagnosed the problem and admitted there was an update, they refused to give me my car back. That is how concerned they were. This is a major safety issue and I would get it fixed ASAP. It is a simple software update and should not cost you a thing. Honda will take care of you. Just make sure you keep pushing and get them to fix it.

Last edited:

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
THIS IS NOT NORMAL. THIS IS A KNOWN PROBLEM and a SAFETY ISSUE. The problem WILL NOT GO AWAY ON ITS OWN. GET IT FIXED ASAP!

I felt the need to repeat myself and put it in caps. I apologize for that but I am just trying to look out for you guys here. You guys need a software update. I would get it done ASAP because it is going to keep happening. After the second time I went into the dealership. They looked up my VIN and said there were no updates for my car. The third time I took a picture and the advisor sent my car in the back to the technician. The technician knew all about it and did the software update. No problems since and it has been a long time. I wouldn't wait to see if it happens again. i would get your cars into the dealership ASAP.

And for the record... I still love my 2017 civic :) This was the only issue I ever had with this car.

Last edited:

l0p3s22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta GLI Autobahn
Country flag
Just curious why you think a safety issue with the emergency parking break wouldn't lead to an immediate recall (like it already has when it was possible it wouldn't engage after turning the car off too quickly)? The "Electronic Brake System Problem" message that the OP was referring to and that I have said I have also had is not a safety issue. Most likely it is a software bug, something with the diagnostic check the car performs when it starts. Maybe there is an update out there to fix it but no need for an alarmist attitude and saying it is a safety issue. This is a minor annoyance at most.

Also found your previous thread: https://www.civicx.com/threads/electronic-parking-brake-problem.12645/

The picture you posted of the message is the same one I received. Good to know that it might be fixed with a software update.

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Just curious why you think a safety issue with the emergency parking break wouldn't lead to an immediate recall (like it already has when it was possible it wouldn't engage after turning the car off too quickly)? The "Electronic Brake System Problem" message that the OP was referring to and that I have said I have also had is not a safety issue. Most likely it is a software bug, something with the diagnostic check the car performs when it starts. Maybe there is an update out there to fix it but no need for an alarmist attitude and saying it is a safety issue. This is a minor annoyance at most.

Also found your previous thread: https://www.civicx.com/threads/electronic-parking-brake-problem.12645/

The picture you posted of the message is the same one I received. Good to know that it might be fixed with a software update.
an electronic bug that could make the car do something without your permission while driving (like locking up your brakes) is most definitely a safety issue. It is putting you at risk for an accident and could cause you (or others) harm.

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
YEs.
I was cruising on the hwy with adaptive cruize on, had to make a quick right turn to exit.
The car's camera or radar saw the orange cones and activated the brakes before I could step on the brakes.
I made the exit just fine in a normal way, but...
All lights lit up on the dash one after an other: brake system malfunction, adaptive cruise inactive, emergency braking malfunction, stability control inactive.
Tried to reactivate the cruise, it would not activate.
Drove for about 5miles to safely exit.
Stopped, turned the car off and restart.
Light reset and all seems good now.
I don't tyhink it should do that.
There was no reason for all systems to deactivate other than it seems the car scared the shit out of itself and switch to a "flight or fight" mode and wen to a safe route of lighting up the dash with warning light signaling to "take me to the honda dealer" now :)
This is caused by a malfunctioning VSA unit which controls the brake system and should be immediately taken to the dealer to be fixed. See here: https://www.civicx.com/threads/cmbs-acc-rdm-warnings-while-driving.10459/

Civic17EX-T

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5 L EX-T 2017 Slver
Country flag
This solution is for Civic 2017, but might work 2016 models too.

Hello Guys

I have solved the issue with similar problems. I would try to be through as possible.

First of all I have a Honda Civic 2017 EX-T 1.5 Liter Turbo w/Sensing. 2016 models might have a software issue as per this thread, I can't confirm that but the solution might work for you.

Problem: My car was in parking. I did use Cruise Control for half an hour before I parked the car. Later in the evening, when I started the car, a message popped up saying "Electronic Brake System Failed", the electronic brake totally lost power and the car moved forward without any acceleration from me. I immediately pressed the brake peddle with my foot and the brake jammed, light flickered and the car totally shut down. Lock wasn't working, the start button wasn't flickering "white" as usually do in Civic EX-T. It was total shutdown. I locked the car with metal key from the key fob and manually closed all the passenger seats.

As I went through this forum, I found out some earlier models had similar problems and was recalled for a software update. That wasn't the case for my vehicle though.

Towards Wrong Solution: Next day I called Honda Dealership and they checked my VIN number and said there is no recall for 2017 Civic and if I want to do a software update, they have to check if there is actually any available or not and even then if I want to go through it they will charge me $140+tax dollars. I called another dealership and they said a software update is not available as of 31st March, 2020 for my Honda Civic 2017 and it will cost $138+tax+labor if I do a flush software update. May I just add that dealerships are total vultures? Please don't take their word for it.

The Solution: So next I checked one YouTube video and suspected I might have a battery issue. I took out my battery and took it to Pep Boys (you can also take it to AutoZone). They will examine your battery for free. This is when I found out that my battery is totally dead...like "the soul has even left the body of battery" kinda dead. This is now self explanatory that I have to change the battery. Civic needs a 51R battery type which they quoted $170 dollars. I decided to get mine from Costco which cost me about $83 dollars with tax+ 36 months warranty (as of 31st March, 2020). Note that if you don't give them your old battery to recycle, they will charge $15.99 extra. Although you have the option to take old the battery later on and get that money refunded. Note that my mileage was 42,370 and I never changed a battery before, the car was brand new and was bought when it had 5 miles in it.

I changed my battery afterwards. The car took a while to restart all the safety systems, you may have to press the audio power button for two seconds to jump start the process when it prompts. As I drove immediately, all the warning signs came up (Brake system problem, ACC Problem, TPMS Problem etc etc.). So I went to settings and put all the system settings back to default and restarted the car. Since then, the warning signs are gone. The car is performing as it used to.

It is important to note that there were no prior warnings that my car battery health isn't good, am not sure if the car can do that either. But I felt a subtle hiccup while starting the car few days back, which was barely noticeable, and I totally ignored it. Lesson learned, will check my battery health next time there is a hiccup or I passed another 38k miles to be on safe side.

Steps you should take if this problem occurs.
1. Keep your VIN ready and call a Honda dealership to check if there is any recall or software update.
2. Take out your battery and take it for a free checkup to Pep Boys or such sort of business.
3. If the battery is dead, get a good one (I got mine from Costco).
4. Replace the battery.

TL;DR
Do a battery checkup. It might be the very reason for all the hiccup as there is no power and brake system failed along with other systems. I assume a weak battery might trigger the whole warning system repeatedly. If your battery is fine, this solution is probably not for you and there are other problems which you need to look on.

Alias_doe

First Name
Alias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2017
Country flag
This problem has caused my 2017 civic touring to fully shut down and not start. The brake system message started to pop up a few months ago. It would give me a hard time starting but would eventually start. This time it's complete shutdown. Can't even unlock it without the metal key. I'm not sure if it's related but a few weeks ago the car automatically applied the brakes on the highway to an almost complete stop. Luckily there was no cars behind me. Money is tight and it's out of warranty but I have no choice but to take it (tow it) to the dealer tomorrow.

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Gonna bump this.

I just encountered this issue.

Went to my local 7-11 and when i parked in the parking lot, i engaged the ebrake as i usually do. The system then told me it failed and said there's a problem with the braking system.

After disconnecting the battery and letting it reset for 5 mins, the issue did not go away.

Had to get the car towed to Honda earlier today.

Really annoyed that there's no bypass for this. I wonder if it's battery related.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Good luck and come back to report.

We did not receive any come back from Raymondtrudeau
Sponsored

Last edited: