Jayceegee

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
First let me say that I enjoy being a member of this forum. I purchased my 2019 Si in March 19. So, I am 68 years old and confused by things I have been reading here. I will address my first topic of confusion. I have read 'NEVER WOT IN 6TH GEAR" which I do not understand at all. So if you can't WOT in 6th gear how will you ever obtain top speed of the car ?
If you can WOT in gears 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, such as going down a 1/4 mile drag-- why not 6th ? I know this may seem like a goofy question but I feel like an idiot for not understanding and having missed something the last few decades of driving manual transmissions.
Sponsored

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
The stock clutch has issue holding the low end torque that our "little" 1.5 can produce. It is exasperated if you are tuned unless you make changes to boost by gear tables. Once past 4k rpm it's not so much an issue (especially stock). Any motor regardless of design and manufacture should not be used full throttle at low rpm. Most folks call that "lugging" but it's not if you are gaining rpm. Labouring is the correct definition when rpm is being gained. Both are hard on the rods and clutch. If you are really wanting to accelerate you should be in a higher gear regardless.

BTW - speed governor can be reached at the top of 5th so 6th is virtually useless for top speed runs (unless tuned).

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
OP
OP

Jayceegee

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
The stock clutch has issue holding the low end torque that our "little" 1.5 can produce. It is exasperated if you are tuned unless you make changes to boost by gear tables. Once past 4k rpm it's not so much an issue (especially stock). Any motor regardless of design and manufacture should not be used full throttle at low rpm. Most folks call that "lugging" but it's not if you are gaining rpm. Labouring is the correct definition when rpm is being gained. Both are hard on the rods and clutch. If you are really wanting to accelerate you should be in a higher gear regardless.

BTW - speed governor can be reached at the top of 5th so 6th is virtually useless for top speed runs (unless tuned).
Ok, so that's what I was missing. Lugging or labouring is what I grew up understanding. Don't know what got me so confused. Thank you for putting in a language familiar to me.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Lugging an engine has always been a bad idea but in this modern age where components are only built as strong as they need to be, coupled with the ease of increasing power in a turbocharged engine....

Nobody wants to be the person who finds the point of failure. I was on the wrx forums back in the early 2000’s and it was a mess of trial and error determining what worked vs what didn't. Thankfully those EJ205 blocks were quite tolerant....shame the EJ255 and EJ257 were not.

HammerSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
This car has a 6th gear? :hmm:
Seriously, I think I've been in 6th twice in the year I've owned my Si.
Then again, I haven't been on many very long trips.
I find 5th adequate for the highway and always down shift to 4th for acceleration due to the tune and the cheesy clutch.
Btw, good luck with her. I'm an older guy and having a lot of fun.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No matter how old you are, everyone needs education. Nowadays it has become more accessible than it was before, the Internet solves many problems if it is used correctly. Let's say you were asked to write an essay about A Rose for Emily, but you don't have time or you don't know what to write, you can always find free essays on A Rose for Emily or on any other topic just use this web link. That is, it has become much easier not to fly out of college and get good grades, the main thing is to know where to look for help. Good luck!
spam detected, and reported

VTecYoSelfB4UWreckYoSelf

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Country flag
I find 5th adequate for the highway and always down shift to 4th for acceleration due to the tune and the cheesy clutch.
That's kind of crazy I go into 6th once I hit about 40mph, I average over 38mpg so I'm a pretty efficient driver.

Just wondering what's the point of revving higher than you need to on the highway? Why not just shift into 6th?

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
You will be surprised how better your MPGs will be when cruising in the highway on 6th gear.

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
It's just a lot of stress on the drivetrain. 6th gear wot is commonly looked down upon because the gear will generate a lot of boost at a very low RPM which can cause an engine failure in a car with weaker rods and internals.

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I've got 86K miles on my 19 Si, tuned on flex fuel. Those were not kind miles by the way, as I track my car also. I'm mostly a highway driver on cruise control, 83mph in 6th gear. I occasionally run it up over 120mph in 5th gear just for kicks, and when traffic is out of the way. A few times I've gone up over 140 in 5th, but run into traffic up ahead to do any more. I've seen another post where someone claimed 157 on the same tune. Not sure what gear that was, but that's a lot of road to get there. It's very easy to get these cars to go fast, and bad when you are comfortable with the speed. With suspension and brake mods, my car feels quite at home over 100. The transmission has been my only problem. I stripped 4th gear a week after a track day this year. Spent 2 hours running hard that day, mostly in 4th gear. I'm assuming it was the 82K of rough miles that did it in prior to the track day. Either way, regardless of how you drive your car, the clutch is likely to go first, then the transmission as you add more power (torque). Talking to performance shops on transmissions, they claim they just source used trannys and keep going with their shop cars. PPG gears are an expensive long term solution, and OEM part availability is a problem to fix tranny issues. This is still a great platform to modify and play with on the street and track. Reliability is good otherwise :).

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag