[Edited - Not work for 2016 Civic!]It seems someone has finally find the hacking method...

supertom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 10th

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I'm interested how this will affect future updates. I bet the dealer uses a similar process to update the headunit via adb sideload. Or maybe they flash a new image. Generally Android system checks all system files before updating and if it detects root it automatically fails. This occurs in all current Android devices today. Your ability to get a future update may be an issue if you root the headunit's OS.

Edit: Nevermind I was looking through a few pages. Looks like I was correct.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=71785258&postcount=441

Last edited:
OP
OP

supertom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 10th
I'm interested how this will affect future updates. I bet the dealer uses a similar process to update the headunit via adb sideload. Or maybe they flash a new image. Generally Android system checks all system files before updating and if it detects root it automatically fails. This occurs in all current Android devices today. Your ability to get a future update may be an issue if you root the headunit's OS.

Edit: Nevermind I was looking through a few pages. Looks like I was correct.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=71785258&postcount=441
You are right. This is a key concern of rooting the Android System. For me, I will not try before a backup method comes out.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
There are no available factory images and even if there were, I'm not sure how you'd flash them back to the unit. You would need to figure out how to put it into recovery mode to sideload or bootloader mode to flash the stock image. I'm not sure either if you go to the dealer and told them what you did they could easily fix the issue. My guess is they would have no idea what to do.

Looks interesting, but I'll sit this one out.

kalvin126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
This is true for the pilot, but not our 2016+ US Civic. That thread is old.