Elite Sponsor
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Hello everyone, we're a sponsor on the forum and figured we'd get a build thread going in here. We actually bought our 2017 Si Coupe a couple years ago but had some other projects that took up our time before we could get into the Civic. But we've started in on it now and we're excited to get going!

We'll post all the stuff we do to it in our section too but we'll try to keep this updated simultaneously as well. Hope you guys enjoy!

Here is an intro video we put together. We'll be doing a lot of content development with it so much of what we do will be in the form of videos but we'll post whatever we have.

As always, if you'd like to get anything for your Civic, we'd love to help out! We specialize in great customer service along with performance parts and we'd be glad to help with whatever you need. Look out for more parts to be added to the site soon as we get them in stock and make them available. We also offer etuning and dyno tuning and will post about that elsewhere, if you're interested. Thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
edgeautosport.com

edgeautosport.com

Elite Sponsor
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
We recently put coilovers, wheels, and tires on the car as our first modifications. We used HKS Hipermax GT coilovers which we're really happy with.

I didn't know what to expect since I've never used HKS on any of my cars I've had. After the first drive, they are better than expected. I've had the $800 coilovers on cars in the past as well as KW V3s so I've driven a pretty wide range of coilovers and been able to experience what they feel like and perform like. Although I have limited experience with all those cars at the track, it's still not hard to tell the difference between any given coilovers after some spirited driving or just cruising on a bumpy road. The HKS setup would make most passengers think you haven't completely gutted the suspension while still giving you really good response when turning in. Even on a slightly stiff setting, it's still comfortable enough for most anyone. You can't say the same for many of the less expensive kits. Those kits give you great flexibility and can definitely increase performance. But a lot of the comfort goes out the window with a lot of coilovers, in my opinion, and with the HKS set, it's doesn't.

I really like the finish and completeness of the kit too. Everything is there and installs pretty easy. I like that they make the error canceler to eliminate the light in the dash for the Si and Type R cars. I guess in theory, you could get the error canceler for any setup that replaces the electronic dampers and causes the error message. It's independent of the coilover install.

I'm not sure where we'll end up at height-wise but for now, we'll leave it at where you see it here. The front tires rubbed on the fast bumps and the high load bumps/transitions on the street on the middle stiffness setting at this height. I set it a little stiffer and it helped a little but I think our tire is a little too tall for the setup now. It's barely taller than stock. So we'll try to massage the fenders a little it and see where we end up. Will report back about that later. We also want to get an alignment first before we start trying to make the tires work.

Anyway, let us know if you have any questions or comments! Would love to hear any feedback you have about the project so far.

Last edited:
OP
OP
edgeautosport.com

edgeautosport.com

Elite Sponsor
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
What wheels and tires did you install?
They're SSR GTV01 18x8.5 +40. Tires are Kumho Ecstas 245/40. These tires are LOUD on the street. I know most performance tires are louder but geez these are more than I'd expect.

OP
OP
edgeautosport.com

edgeautosport.com

Elite Sponsor
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
We recently tuned the Civic. We're pretty excited about the results.

*DISCLOSURE, we're at altitude, about 5500 ft asl, so the numbers might be slightly off from what you'd ACTUALLY experience at sea level. We use corrected numbers to more accurately compare to what anyone else around the country might be doing. But we're mainly worried about the change in horsepower and torque, more than the actual number itself.

We're on 91 octane pump gas, which is the best pump gas we can get here in Denver, CO. Obviously, the stock mapping leaves much to be gained, as with most turbo cars. The off-the-shelf maps from KTuner gave us a nice bump in power but unfortunately, a lot of the peak boost that cars get at sea level doesn't appear for us here. The main reason, besides no turbo ever being able to push the same pressure up here as it would at sea level, is in the tuning. Across the board with many tuning devices, including the KTuner and Hondata which we've tested too, is that they really dial down the boost pressure for the lower barometric pressure. This is by design both from Honda and these tuning companies so that the turbo doesn't spin too fast, trying to achieve the desired pressure that someone would at sea level. The turbo spins much faster up here to produce a similar level of boost at lower elevations.

We began tuning the vehicle ourselves, removing that restriction and dialing in our AFR and timing based on our conditions and what our car likes up here. Here's a little breakdown of where we ended up. If you're interested in reading more about it on our blog and seeing more info, you're more than welcome to subscribe but we'll post updates here too.

Stock Dyno vs. KTuner 19.5psi Map vs Edge Autosport Custom Tuning

Honda Civic 10th gen Edge Autosport's Project FC3 Thread 19.5_vs_stock_vs_custom

Stock Peak HP/TQ: 191.0 / 203.2

KTuner 19.5 Peak HP/TQ: 201.6 / 235.7 (6 % HP, 16 % TQ)
HP Gain at 3500rpm: +19.9hp / +15%
HP Gain at 4500rpm: +21.6hp / +13%
TQ Gain at 3500rpm: +29.8tq / +15%
TQ Gain at 4500rpm: +25.3tq / +13%

Edge Autosport Custom Tuning Peak HP/TQ: 207.3 / 255.7
HP Gain at 3500rpm: +35.2hp / +26%
HP Gain at 4500rpm: +37 hp / +22%
TQ Gain at 3500rpm: +52.7tq / +26%
TQ Gain at 4500rpm: +43.3tq / +22%

We almost always expect more power and torque out of a car of this nature after we tune it. But this is significant. The KTuner maps pack a really solid punch, but with even more tuning, the gains are pretty ridiculous throughout a lot of the curve.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is cool. I don't think I'd seen a dyno of the 19.5 map before. Would these numbers from the 19.5 translate to what someone at sea level would expect on the 19.5 map?

OP
OP
edgeautosport.com

edgeautosport.com

Elite Sponsor
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
This is cool. I don't think I'd seen a dyno of the 19.5 map before. Would these numbers from the 19.5 translate to what someone at sea level would expect on the 19.5 map?
In theory, yes. The reason why we used the 19.5 comparison is because the graphs for the 21.5 are nearly identical, which is what I sort of talked about with the barometric compensations built in to the maps. At sea level, the 21.5 should pick up power, but not for us up here.

OP
OP
edgeautosport.com

edgeautosport.com

Elite Sponsor
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Decided to throw on a 3" exhaust next and see what it did without any tuning. I hear a lot of people say that exhausts don't do much but I don't know why. It's a good enough gain to make anyone want to do it if not for sound, then for power. We started off with aFe Power but we're going to test a couple other exhausts on the car too. We already have a HKS and a Greddy system ready to go on the car so we'll get to those at some point. I really like the HKS on paper so I'm excited to try that one.

If you're wondering why the top dipped down, we started seeing some higher IATs and it was pulling timing up there. That wouldn't be happening out on the road if we had enough air movement and IAT's weren't fluctuating as much as they do on the dyno.

Here's a video of what we did along with a dyno graph of the changes. As always, if reading is your thing, check out the blog here for more info and subscribe for updates.

Honda Civic 10th gen Edge Autosport's Project FC3 Thread AFE_vs_Stock_Exhaust

Honda Civic 10th gen Edge Autosport's Project FC3 Thread aFe_Power_Exhaust_Honda_Civic_Si_10th_Gen_1

OP
OP
edgeautosport.com

edgeautosport.com

Elite Sponsor
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
We put on the Perrin rear motor mount inserts the other day. We've actually had the Boomba one on before but took it off as we didn't like the vibrations. I usually don't mind them but that one was too much for our taste. It definitely did it's job but we wanted something more comfortable.

I've never actually tried just the inserts before. There are other platforms out there that have inserts available like this but I've never been interested in doing them myself. I like getting full replacements of stuff, I think anybody who like modding their car does but I wanted to try this out and see how effective they were. First off, the value is the best part of this kit. It's around $30 which makes it so cheap it's almost stupid NOT to do it if it's a good mod. Turns out, it's a great mod. It does the job exactly how we want it to and it's not uncomfortable at all. You can feel the difference in stiffness but not at the cost of the cabin rattling too much at that certain RPM when you're getting off the line or when you're idling with the A/C on. It definitely prevents the engine from moving nearly as much, which is exactly what we wanted.

The only thing I'd question is it's ability to handle itself on the race track over and over and over. I don't have a reason to think it wouldn't, I just don't know how well it would do that. For 99% of what anyone here is doing though, it's a great mod.

Check out our write up on it right here too.

OP
OP
edgeautosport.com

edgeautosport.com

Elite Sponsor
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
We put on a rear downpipe/over pipe/front pipe/mid pipe. I'm still not sure what to call it lol. We stuck with aFe for now just to keep things consistent with the exhaust (we're also using aFe for the downpipe coming up soon). I'm interested in seeing the difference between something like aFe with these tapered pipes that neck down at the flanges. I like them for the convenience factor for those that want factory fitment and might not be interested in upgrading the entire exhaust system. However, my assumption has always been that they create more back pressure and restrict flow a little bit. After we get done with the aFe turboback setup, I'm going to switch up to a true, full 3" piping setup and figure out what sort of efficiency we can pick up from that, if any. Until then, here are the results from the aFe rear downpipe (as they call it).

For the most part, we picked up good gains in the spoolup region. The turbo seems to breathe a little easier at the low rpms with this piece and it doesn't compromise power and torque anywhere else on the curve. When looking at the dyno graph, there is a gain up top but that is from a recent dyno immediately preceding the rear downpipe where the car was pulling timing from high IATs. That isn't a true gain from the overpipe.

Honda Civic 10th gen Edge Autosport's Project FC3 Thread Project_FC3_Rear_Downpipe

Honda Civic 10th gen Edge Autosport's Project FC3 Thread Project%20FC3%20-%20aFe%20Power%20Rear%20Downpipe%20Dyno

2tone

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si. 2006 bmw 325i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Awesome thread! I’ll be following along. Also really cool to see someone actually get gains from an exhaust :hmm:

OP
OP
edgeautosport.com

edgeautosport.com

Elite Sponsor
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Awesome thread! I’ll be following along. Also really cool to see someone actually get gains from an exhaust :hmm:
Thanks! Everyone picks up power, just not many people care to show a back to back. But that's something that's easy for us to do during the process of our build. Just trying to give people quality/real data.

OP
OP
edgeautosport.com

edgeautosport.com

Elite Sponsor
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Downpipe is now on! We stuck with the aFe Power theme to keep things uniform for the entire turboback. I think the only drawback to this setup is the tapering down of the piping at the flange areas. The benefit of this (I assume) is that it'll maintain smooth exhaust flow through stock piping or similarly sized piping when you have a mix of exhaust parts and the flanges aren't exactly evenly matched. If you have all true 3" piping throughout, that would be ideal for making power. But a lot of products out there don't always come that way so getting the best parts based on what you have is the next best option. Regardless of whether it's a bad thing or if it doesn't matter at all, it definitely picked up a good amount of power. I can honestly say all three pieces of this aFe exhaust fit up flawlessly. We don't have any weird rattling or vibrating after install. It all fit very well and the hangers are in the perfect locations.

The sound changed A LOT. The very quiet aFe exhaust came alive when paired with the downpipe especially. The stock cat is large and dense for a little 1.5 so it was muffling the sound quite a bit. The exhaust as a whole sounds just right now and it still did not lose it's quality, even though it got louder. It doesn't drone and there is only a tiny hint of a resonance at a mid range rpm when going wide open throttle but it's nothing that gets on my nerves at all and it goes by in an instant.

Again, just like with the exhaust system, the entire curve moved up off the old line for both power and torque. But this time, it was slightly more of a difference than the exhaust. Also like some other test runs we've done, the ECU doesn't like the temperatures we see on some dyno runs and starts to pull timing at the top so it dipped a little. But on the road on a mild day, that would most likely stay very linear and continue to make power above the old mark, especially with a better intercooler, which we'll put on very soon.

Here is the curve with the addition of the downpipe with no changes in tuning after this install. Peak torque moved up exactly 7 ft-lbs and peak power moved up a tick below 5 hp. Lots of improvement through the whole curve though which is great.

Next up is a full intake system swap. If we don't post at the end of this week, it'll be next week.

Honda Civic 10th gen Edge Autosport's Project FC3 Thread afe_Downpipe%20Dyno%20Plot

Last edited:

2tone

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si. 2006 bmw 325i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks! Everyone picks up power, just not many people care to show a back to back. But that's something that's easy for us to do during the process of our build. Just trying to give people quality/real data.
Well you guys are doing great with that! Hmmm I wonder if it would be a smaller gain if you started with the downpipe and front pipe. Most do those first and then test catback and report not much gain. Either way thanks for sharing so much of your build and dyno results! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
edgeautosport.com

edgeautosport.com

Elite Sponsor
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
We decided to put a new intake on the car! I think that was the next best and most logical modification at this point so we did it. If you care to check out our blog, you can see more info over there.

We used a fairly common intake, it's nothing special but AEM has been a staple in the import performance world since it became popular (which is as far back as I can remember). They did a lot with Honda in the early days so we signed up to use their system on our project. If we ever get a bigger turbo, we'll probably swap it out but until we do, we figured this would be a decent setup.

As is the theme with all our bolt-ons, we really wanted to showcase what each of these parts does to the car and how much of an effect it has so you guys can get good information for what you might want to get on your car. In the case of the AEM, it's a solid system that is not only a piece of cake to install, but also provides a good bump in power. Here is a video of the installation and testing process and the dyno graph. From the peak of the torque curve and up, we had some pretty good gains.

In case you're wondering, we tested just the filter replacement too. We weren't expecting much, if anything at all. But we were surprised that there was actually a noticeable gain in the spoolup area. I've included that graph as well.

AEM Replacement Filter ONLY

Honda Civic 10th gen Edge Autosport's Project FC3 Thread AEM_Replacement_Filter

AEM Full Intake System for Si

Honda Civic 10th gen Edge Autosport's Project FC3 Thread Intake_vs_DP