ECON Button

Milo & Miles

Is there anything that won't fit into this car?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatch
I loathe it. The car feels SO sluggish in Econ mode that it's almost like a different car. I especially hate it now in winter where my large thick winter coat sleeves sometimes presses it inadvertently while i'm resting my arm along the centre console.
Sponsored

DarthMaul40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Comfort HB, 1.0 Turbo, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I stopped using it some time ago because the car felt sluggish and suprisingly the consumption was higher, as I live in a hilly city. I only turn it on during long trips on highways where it seems to lower the consumption a bit (less sudden acceleration with ACC in ECON)

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Does anyone know specifically what it does ? I know it dampens the throttle, but does it also change other features ?

I keep mine on all the time. If you've driven a Prius before you can tell a HUGE difference with the eco button. For me, I can't tell that big of a difference.

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
I only use econ button on the highway if I want 50+ mpg. Most of the time, I'm running Ktuner stg 2 with all settings on high, and still get high 40's.

Honda Civic 10th gen ECON Button 20190424_141148

hon da

First Name
Yony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch
Country flag
I always have the ECON button on. Had it since day 1. But if this thread says that in the city driving there isn't much difference, and actually a hindrance when driving in the city, then I'll turn it off starting today. I get pretty poor gas mileage for someone who drives 50/50 city/highway Minday through Friday. Only about 29 MPG. I notice that when I drive highway more it really goes up, but then I go back to the city driving and the mpgs plummet. So from now on, I'll see about changing my driving habits to only highways and see how far that gets me; and turning off the ECON in the city. Thanks!
Have any update? Thanks man

keepitmoving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw
Country flag
I used econ mode during break in period, but it feels like a car running on 1 less cylinder. Civic gets good gas mileage as it is; I don't plan on using it ever again.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Read on as to why the ECON button is mostly useless on a stock tuned Civic. On the other hand with my Ktuner tune, I use the ECON button to switch from factory to tuned.

ECON mode basically does two things. It reduces throttle response and reduces output from the climate control. Now that you know that, here's why you don't need it.

Because ECON reduces throttle response it means that you need to jab harder into the throttle to get moving in city driving And by pressing harder you've just reduced your MPG's. On the highway, once up to speed, you hardly press the throttle anyway, so why not just run it in the more responsive normal mode so you can have easier power on tap.

The truth is, the best way to get better MPG's is to use your right foot smartly. No jack rabbits starts and trying to be smooth on the throttle. No need for an ECON button.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Read on as to why the ECON button is mostly useless on a stock tuned Civic. On the other hand with my Ktuner tune, I use the ECON button to switch from factory to tuned.

ECON mode basically does two things. It reduces throttle response and reduces output from the climate control. Now that you know that, here's why you don't need it.

Because ECON reduces throttle response it means that you need to jab harder into the throttle to get moving in city driving And by pressing harder you've just reduced your MPG's. On the highway, once up to speed, you hardly press the throttle anyway, so why not just run it in the more responsive normal mode so you can have easier power on tap.

The truth is, the best way to get better MPG's is to use your right foot smartly. No jack rabbits starts and trying to be smooth on the throttle. No need for an ECON button.

That's all true. If you try to get the same dynamics with ECON on, you will not see any better mileage, because gas mileage ultimately depends on how the car is moving. In city driving ECON may be only good for those people who are not trying to overcome the sluggish throttle, but instead go with it. I do have an impression that the gas mileage can be actually worse for drivers who insist on dynamic driving with ECON on because they will be more often mushing the pedal to the floor.

But, when I drive longer trips on the freeway with (A)CC (which I haven't been doing at all for several months now) I hate it when the car is trying to keep the speed at all cost regardless of hills or on resume after braking (like the old dumb CC which would rev almost to the redline to prevent any drop of speed even for a moment). Economical driving requires going slower uphill and faster downhill, and getting to speed slower.. So then the ECON is useful for me.

With zero longer trips (over 15-25 miles) and almost no freeway driving, ECON 95% of the time off, I get 30 mpg average.

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Have any update? Thanks man
Ah! I completely forgot about this forum and this post! Truthfully, I don't know what was going on with my car during the early months of driving it. I have had ECON mode on for the better part of two years now and I get around 36 MPG and that's like 80-90% highway driving. Perhaps it's true that the drawbacks of ECON mode, lower power output - thus you have to step on the pedal a bit more, outweigh the potential benefits of ECON mode. Ideally, you would be very easy on the pedal and stay in the green 100% of the time after you accelerate from a stop, but this is not an ideal world and you will get honked at. Maybe I'll drive with ECON off and reset a trip monitor so I can see the MPGs for the trip. Hope I don't forget to report back to you all in one year. I mainly drive cruise control on the highway anyways, so I don't think I would see an improvement.