Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully these observations will help newcomers to Ktuner. I think sometimes these settings can be a bit confusing.

From KTuner's help pages (for the base non-Si turbos):
(1) Factory ECO Control is the factory representation.

(2) Normalized ECO makes ECO mode more like normal mode, yet still exhibits other characteristics of ECO mode that will still save gas mileage overall.

(3) Normalized ECO and Sport+ Non-ECO makes Non-ECO mode even more sportier than normal.
The settings above are used with the dual starter tunes where pressing the Econ button gives you a second tune.

#1 is straightforward. Pressing Econ gives you the factory Econ setup.

#2 means that pressing Econ gives you better throttle response compared to the factory Econ tune. But it still reduces A/C output, for example, to save on gas.

#3 is the one where there is some confusion. Pressing Econ give you the same characteristics as #2 above. In addition, when pressing Econ off, it gives you even better throttle response in Normal mode. It stacks on top of all the other quick settings.

I've tried various combinations and find that overall #2 works best for me. The Sport+ setting (#3) definitely gives more throttle response which makes the car seem more lively off the line and around town. But, at least in my opinion, I like the more linear feel of the non-Sport+ better, especially during highway drives, which is most of my driving. It's all personal preference but I think it feels more balanced. I also see lower mpg's using the Sport+ setting.

The bottom line is KTuner is an amazing product that can make your car drive just the way YOU like it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
Ktuner just makes it run more efficient. Best mileage to date using econ button with ktuner modified settings.
Forgot to add that I'm using #3 on your econ button settings list, and yes throttle response is turned up. On the dash picture, Previous Drive was stg tune 2 that I've slightly tweaked. Amazing to get high 40's with stg 2. If I throttle up with it, I get around 38.
Great post for newbs to ktuner.
Honda Civic 10th gen Econ button settings thoughts 20190424_141148

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If I recall, your commutes are mostly long highway drives, correct?

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
Yes, up and down 95 the number you see on top is when I used the econ button, locked on cruise control about 5 miles over speed limit probably averaging 65
The mileage below is when I was just running straight stage 2 no turbo bursts.
Sweet spot seems to be 60 to 65 for 50+.

se7encrows

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I'm new to my Ktuner. Had it a few weeks now. gtman's posts have been very helpful. I'm running the Dual 21 tune with a few tweaks to the quick adjusts. I had played around with a 18 dual tune, but have settled on the 21. Glad to see these numbers you're getting. I've also noticed that 60-65mph is really the sweet spot for the best MPG. I'm sure when all is said and done, I'll flash another tune soon enough.

Thanks for all the good info.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
se7encrows... thanks for the props.

I'm just trying to get the word out not only that Ktuner's base tunes are excellent for driveability, but also that fuel economy really doesn't suffer. On the other hand, if you're pushing it all the time, MPG's will be low.

Bottom line is, whether tuned or not, the biggest factor in fuel economy is your right foot.

calvin13386

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5T
Country flag
se7encrows... thanks for the props.

I'm just trying to get the word out not only that Ktuner's base tunes are excellent for driveability, but also that fuel economy really doesn't suffer. On the other hand, if you're pushing it all the time, MPG's will be low.

Bottom line is, whether tuned or not, the biggest factor in fuel economy is your right foot.
Hi gtman,

other than base map and quick adjustments, did you try to play around with other settings such as ignition retard, cam angle, maf scaling etc?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi gtman,

other than base map and quick adjustments, did you try to play around with other settings such as ignition retard, cam angle, maf scaling etc?
For the most part, no. Honestly unless you know what you're doing, that's an area you can get yourself in trouble. Leave that to the pro tuners. The only things I play with are bbg, more boost, IAT ignition retard and soon, idle speed.

Last edited:

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
For the most part, no. Honestly unless you know what you're doing, that's an area you can get yourself in trouble. Leave that to the pro tuners. The only things I play with are bbg, more boost, IAT ignition retard and soon, idle speed.
I've modified the user 21 stg 2 psi settings and topped out the quick adjustments, that's it. I've tried BBG and it seems to work ok, however I think I get more early HP and can balance acceleration and wheel spin with my current tune set up. With Ktuner IAT and the other ignition settings, there's not much info to go on so don't know what to do there. I've left them alone. Whatever you might know here gtman please elaborate. I think, but need confirmation that the ECU might self adjust ignition as needed with boost. At this point, I'm all stock, everything seems ok with plenty of reserve as commuter. For more I guess, then it's time for a pro tune, handling mods ie. beefing up the suspension.
Sponsored

Last edited: