Eco mode as tuned increase?

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Firstly, let me start by saying I'm about to do my first tune in a few days when I can burn all my gas and replace it with 91 octane and my k&n air filter arrives. The only issue I've had so far is the response time of the server for activation and upload (which never finished so I need to redo it).

Based on what I read, I picked up a Ktuner v1.2 as I don't want the temptation of having a mini tablet in my dash to be taken if I forget it and ktuner as the brand because it seems well trusted (no offense to those that may prefer Hondata!).

With that, I drive fairly aggressively so I'd prefer to have it so that I have to enable the additional PSI etc when I have eco ON.

Would it be better to use the dual 21 tune and change the psi etc to normal on the tune and on Eco section swap the PSI to 21 here? Just seeing what may be the best way to implement this type of config. Any downfalls to this setup as well?

Or if I run with the stage 1 tune, can the same be done but with some manual work of copy / paste I assume?

Thanks!
Sponsored

ATLAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Have you read about OTF map switching? You can have three different maps that you can switch between while driving. Throw in the eco button and you can essentially have 6 different maps. So to answer your question, yes you can set it up so pressing the ECON button actually increases your turbo boost pressure and throttle responsiveness

OP
OP

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Thanks, and it is a supported ECU. So basically no negative affects of setting my eco mode to be the tune is what you're saying which is good.

Follow up question, when tuned does the S mode shift do anything special? I've looked for details but am struggling to come up with details.

As for OTF, looks like I need to read up.

ATLAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks, and it is a supported ECU. So basically no negative affects of setting my eco mode to be the tune is what you're saying which is good.

Follow up question, when tuned does the S mode shift do anything special? I've looked for details but am struggling to come up with details.

As for OTF, looks like I need to read up.
Shifting to S won't change anything in regards to the tune itself. It changes shift points in the transmission.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I think you're missing a key piece of the puzzle...

When you press the Econ button on, no matter what psi you run, it will have the stock eco "features" like more sluggish throttle response and reduced A/C output. You can minimize it a bit with some quick adjustments but...

You still want your higher powered tunes with the Econ button off and the Econ button on tune as your reduced power setup.

OP
OP

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I think you're missing a key piece of the puzzle...

When you press the Econ button on, no matter what psi you run, it will have the stock eco "features" like more sluggish throttle response and reduced A/C output. You can minimize it a bit with some quick adjustments but...

You still want your higher powered tunes with the Econ button off and the Econ button on tune as your reduced power setup.
Yeah, just read about OTF mode and that sounds like a better solution for me. Basically if the kids can't abuse the extra response tune by hiding it with cruise control, even better!

ATLAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you are worried about your kids abusing the tune just set map 1 to be factory level and then use maps 2 and 3 to what you want. Don't tell them how to change the maps. If you don't leave your KTuner unit plugged in, it will revert back to Map 1 everytime you start the car.

OP
OP

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
tl;dr thanks for the help!

I just thought I'd follow up on this since all of you helped me which is awesome!

While I didn't get to swap out for my high flow air filter yet, or move to Premium gas (not possible yet since work keeps me out of my car), I wanted to share my experiences so far as I installed it last night because sitting on any new toy without being able to play with it just sucks.

I seemed to have issues with using my mobile hotspot to upload the old ECU data, which at home worked perfectly. Not sure the deal there, but I'll chalk that up to bad cellular reception. Once I had figured out that MY direct ECU wasn't listed but in the middle of two different one's, I chose the higher numbered ECU that matched mine which I understand is just a later revision and this seemed to work well. After all the scary dash lights blinked like crazy and warnings about every Touring feature getting disabled or having an issue, the flash finished. I shutdown the car and noticed that a light was still flashing so I waited until everything stopped flashing and turned it back to ACC, waiting a few more seconds then Clicked OK.

Aside from a few warnings still up which I knew based on reading I had to drive it to recalibrate, it started. I can't tell you how nice it is to hear a car start up when you're a newbie to this and expect the worse, but in fact it just worked.

Right away, I could feel the impact. It was subtle, yet impactful as I was easing on the pedal since the engine was still cold and I was waiting for calibration. I could certainly feel the impact of the throttle kicking in MUCH sooner than it used to at a much lighter press. On top of that, I noticed that the Boost spooling (Which I enabled early) was kicking in at lower throttle and speeds than I had seen before. With a quick test on the highway after warming up the engine, I can confirm what others say in that when I punched it, I expected based on the same time frame to be doing close to 100, I was hitting 130 and at 150 they take away your car. Needless to say, now I just have to watch my lead foot.

While I won't be completely satisfied until I get my gas tank empty of regular gas and get Premium in there to really test (since by the time I reached work I was hitting K Control .97), I can say that so far in early testing stages it's certainly the best money I've spent on the car next to the audio upgrades.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

ATLAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just be careful on using non-premium gas. It is not recommended at all by Ktuner or any of the OTS tunes. That is a really high knock but that is obviously indicative of the poor gas.

OP
OP

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Yep, still babying the car at the moment (mostly) and tonight I'm detuning until I get the right gas. But certainly a noticeable change! And note, I'm not on stage, this is base tune with throttle changes and early spooling so far
Sponsored