Ears ringing and popping in new 19' Type R - Any wise advice?

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The sound system (horrible) in my '19 will occasionally spit out some weird frequencies that actually hurt my ears. Road noise is less of a problem, but it's no luxo-cruiser, for sure. I'm daily driving, and downsizing wheels, upsizing sidewalls, and will happily give up some handling for less tire noise. I have had tinnitus since childhood. Fortunately the car hasn't made mine worse.
I have had tinnitus for a long while now and I got diagnosed with a mild hearing loss the other week. On rare occasions there are frequencies that really bother me and it actually causes me to get uncomfortable.
Sponsored

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
I notice there's a high pitch noise coming out of the engine bay. I believe it comes from the light. The same noise that comes from the light ballast.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Check your blood pressure that's not normal at all.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
It's not the car. It's you.
I have ear problems as well.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
you guys are talking to me or the OP?
OP - If you have tenitis that's a different bag (not sure if you do I just saw that as part of the thread) The OP having those symptoms is abnormal and only idea I had that would account would be super high blood pressure maybe.

Pdpawlak09

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type-R
Country flag
Drive with the stereo off. Mine gave me a headache and ear fullness with how harsh the highs were. Maybe yours is doing the same?

jkwanthechef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 TypeR, 1998 DX K20A, 2021 Accord Hybrid
Country flag
Drive with the stereo off. Mine gave me a headache and ear fullness with how harsh the highs were. Maybe yours is doing the same?
Stereo on or off, it doesn't seem to matter too much, for me at least (even unplugged the active sound module!). I really attribute it to exhaust booming... that "ear fullness" you describe.

dirtrider216

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport Touring, 2006 4Runner (for sale)
Country flag
FWIW, I was experiencing something similar in my '17 sport touring hatch- with or without radio on. A large contributor is tire noise. However I made the car much more comfortable to drive by covering the floor from front to back in noico 80 mil butyl rubber and noico red 150 mil as well as doing the doors and ceiling as well as I could. The roof was challenging because i for the life of me could not get the visors/mirrors off so I had the headliner hanging and not removed but the little I did still made a significant difference.
Also to note, I recently did a sound deadening project in a 1999 international crew cab dump truck. I would say that it would be worth the money to use MLV in your CTR however the combo products like second skin luxury liner pro will be too thick to install under the floor carpet of the CTR but it would likely work under the back seat and the hatch area.
If I had the money and was to do my civic again I would still cover the floor as best I can with butyl rubber and thin CCF then use a 1lb/ft MLV and on the roof of the car I would use full coverage butyl rubber with hydrophobic melamine open cell foam
Sponsored