Ears ringing and popping in new 19' Type R - Any wise advice?

Sarrafian109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I just picked up a new 19' Type R in Santa Monica, I adore the performance and usability of the car but in the 1000 miles I've driven it my ears are taking a serious hit. I don't know if its the engine drone, that metallic sound that commonly comes from the engine coasting off throttle, or just the acoustics and frequencies of the cabin, but every time I get out of the car my ears are constantly ringing. As well, on longer trips my ears feel like they have to pop while in the car. I've experimented with windows up, down, cracked open, rear windows up / down, different RPM and cruising speeds, you name it. Has anyone else had this acoustic issue, or found a way to mitigate it? I feel bad complaining as this car is proper awesome in every other regard, but my ears have gotten to the point now where they are ringing and uncomfortable even when I'm not driving... Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you much
Sponsored

garysan

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sandersonandson.com
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R & BMW M135i
Country flag
I just picked up a new 19' Type R in Santa Monica, I adore the performance and usability of the car but in the 1000 miles I've driven it my ears are taking a serious hit. I don't know if its the engine drone, that metallic sound that commonly comes from the engine coasting off throttle, or just the acoustics and frequencies of the cabin, but every time I get out of the car my ears are constantly ringing. As well, on longer trips my ears feel like they have to pop while in the car. I've experimented with windows up, down, cracked open, rear windows up / down, different RPM and cruising speeds, you name it. Has anyone else had this acoustic issue, or found a way to mitigate it? I feel bad complaining as this car is proper awesome in every other regard, but my ears have gotten to the point now where they are ringing and uncomfortable even when I'm not driving... Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you much
Is it both ears or one ear that you have the ringing? It's not the car - just to be clear. It could well be your particular interaction with the car but if someone else got in and drove, I seriously doubt they would have an issue.

Ringing in the ears (tinnitus) is usually caused by damage-related hearing loss - through a loud noise/continuous loud noise that you have been exposed to at some point in your life and that some noise(s) within the car are aggravating/triggering it. Other causes of tinnitus are a build up of ear wax impacting/touching your actual ear drum (again can be triggered by certain loud noises or frequencies).

I have a particular type of benign brain tumour called a Vestibular schwannoma which is an annoying little sucker that causes me permanent tinnitus on my left side. This tinnitus can easily be made worse by certain loud sounds/frequencies, stresses I'm experiencing (financial, emotional, etc.) but more often than not, by talking about or even thinking about it - mine is always there in the background - sometimes pretty quiet and not too intrusive, other times it's raging... You may find that because you're thinking about it, expecting it even, each time you drive your CTR, you may unintentionally be making it more apparent or noticeable than it actually is.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have permanent tinnitus that generally I tune out, but one thing's for sure, I had it long before my CTR and the CTR didn't exacerbate it. I would get a doctor to check that out. Doesn't sound normal.

OP
OP

Sarrafian109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Is it both ears or one ear that you have the ringing? It's not the car - just to be clear. It could well be your particular interaction with the car but if someone else got in and drove, I seriously doubt they would have an issue.

Ringing in the ears (tinnitus) is usually caused by damage-related hearing loss - through a loud noise/continuous loud noise that you have been exposed to at some point in your life and that some noise(s) within the car are aggravating/triggering it. Other causes of tinnitus are a build up of ear wax impacting/touching your actual ear drum (again can be triggered by certain loud noises or frequencies).

I have a particular type of benign brain tumour called a Vestibular schwannoma which is an annoying little sucker that causes me permanent tinnitus on my left side. This tinnitus can easily be made worse by certain loud sounds/frequencies, stresses I'm experiencing (financial, emotional, etc.) but more often than not, by talking about or even thinking about it - mine is always there in the background - sometimes pretty quiet and not too intrusive, other times it's raging... You may find that because you're thinking about it, expecting it even, each time you drive your CTR, you may unintentionally be making it more apparent or noticeable than it actually is.

Hope that helps.
Thank you for the response. It seems to be in both ears. I agree that the car shouldn't be the source of this, I'm hoping it's just a coincidence. I've owned Civic SI's, Accords, WRX STI's, C7 Stingray, Camaro SS, and rode in plenty of other cars but have never experienced anything like this. My ears started doing this and continued as soon as I started driving my CTR, and I don't have any previous history of ear damage, tinnitus, new exposure to loud noise, etc. I'm a healthy 32 year old!

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Thank you for the response. It seems to be in both ears. I agree that the car shouldn't be the source of this, I'm hoping it's just a coincidence. I've owned Civic SI's, Accords, WRX STI's, C7 Stingray, Camaro SS, and rode in plenty of other cars but have never experienced anything like this. My ears started doing this and continued as soon as I started driving my CTR, and I don't have any previous history of ear damage, tinnitus, new exposure to loud noise, etc. I'm a healthy 32 year old!
I'd honestly go see a doctor about it. It might be as simple as you've got a buildup of earwax in your ear that's causing issues. Keep in mind that hearing damage happens progressively, and by the time you have issues, it's too late; it's also become more prevalent in younger people due to the creation of MP3 players and headphones. A lot of people seem to want to blast their music at 100+ dB for hours on end which is probably not too helpful to their hearing. The number of people at live concerts without hearing protection is kind of worrisome too.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
it's also become more prevalent in younger people due to the creation of MP3 players and headphones. A lot of people seem to want to blast their music at 100+ dB for hours on end which is probably not too helpful to their hearing.
Was guilty of this in high school, man though when the bass dropped in some of those songs it felt so good... until I got older :dunno:

OP
OP

Sarrafian109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I'd honestly go see a doctor about it. It might be as simple as you've got a buildup of earwax in your ear that's causing issues. Keep in mind that hearing damage happens progressively, and by the time you have issues, it's too late; it's also become more prevalent in younger people due to the creation of MP3 players and headphones. A lot of people seem to want to blast their music at 100+ dB for hours on end which is probably not too helpful to their hearing. The number of people at live concerts without hearing protection is kind of worrisome too.
Negative on the headphones and concerts for me, but I agree, things can happen gradually that were previously unnoticed. Will do my best

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Negative on the headphones and concerts for me, but I agree, things can happen gradually that were previously unnoticed. Will do my best
can also happen all the sudden. about 4 years ago while watching tv i lost complete hearing in my left ear. about 2 weeks later i got some of it back but not all as i can no hear deep tones in my left ear at all

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Was guilty of this in high school, man though when the bass dropped in some of those songs it felt so good... until I got older :dunno:
I got into the headphone hobby when I was in high school reviewing headphones. The good thing is that many of the audiophile communities do push for safe listening and a lot of the older guys on those forums that didn't adhere to it were there to warn everyone else that it sucks. So thankfully that was never me. Though I do tend to get abnormal earwax buildup in my ears which is annoying.

jkwanthechef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 TypeR, 1998 DX K20A, 2021 Accord Hybrid
Country flag
I just picked up a new 19' Type R in Santa Monica, I adore the performance and usability of the car but in the 1000 miles I've driven it my ears are taking a serious hit. I don't know if its the engine drone, that metallic sound that commonly comes from the engine coasting off throttle, or just the acoustics and frequencies of the cabin, but every time I get out of the car my ears are constantly ringing.
This sounds very familiar to me! I just picked up a 2020 type R and have a very similar thing. My ringing is more sporadic, but when I get out, I feel as if I've had my head in a subwoofer.

My wife does not mind the sound of my car. And as far as I can tell, the biggest complaint from people about the CTR is that it is too quiet. So are we going crazy or what?!

I downloaded a couple apps, including the NIOSH Sound Level Meter, and by those accounts, the decibel level in the cabin is fine.

The first thing I did was unplug the ActiveSoundControl module, which you won't have on a 2019. I feel like it helped a little bit, but did not completely solve.

My next course of action is to investigate and install either dynamat or soundskins in the trunk area. I think the car is fantastic in every other way (ok i'd take one or two more mpg) but I need to get this bassy cabin taken care of in some way.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Get thee to an Audiologist! Post haste. Not normal.

I've raced dirt bikes and karts with no hearing protection. Raced a 360 sprint car but with ear plugs because without it made my brain hurt. Grew up in the 60's-70's and maximum volume just below the distortion level was required with music. Sat through more loud concerts than I could list here. I'm sure I've got some hearing loss, but sudden onset of ringing in ears has a cause. Get it checked out.

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
Mine doesn't do nothing no drone these cars are quiet from factory , thats why Honda now has engine sound through the speakers on the 20 model year ctr

OP
OP

Sarrafian109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
This sounds very familiar to me! I just picked up a 2020 type R and have a very similar thing. My ringing is more sporadic, but when I get out, I feel as if I've had my head in a subwoofer.

My wife does not mind the sound of my car. And as far as I can tell, the biggest complaint from people about the CTR is that it is too quiet. So are we going crazy or what?!

I downloaded a couple apps, including the NIOSH Sound Level Meter, and by those accounts, the decibel level in the cabin is fine.

The first thing I did was unplug the ActiveSoundControl module, which you won't have on a 2019. I feel like it helped a little bit, but did not completely solve.

My next course of action is to investigate and install either dynamat or soundskins in the trunk area. I think the car is fantastic in every other way (ok i'd take one or two more mpg) but I need to get this bassy cabin taken care of in some way.
Strange right?! I'll post again if it goes away on its own or if I can find evidence of a source having nothing to do with the car.

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
ive had it for 20 years or more.loud cars,rock and roll and a few tank gunneries are to blame.more loud noises will only make it worse,if you go to see live music earplugs are a good idea.
Sponsored